Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yup, I bought the holders - Part 2. I blame you guys (and so does my wife)!

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2021 10:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A couple of months ago, I posted a pictorial thread documenting my quest to buy some of the more scarce holders. I received a lot of feedback and some good suggestions:

@Southcounty - I would try to add a Hallmark holder as well, just for good measure.
@braddick - SEGS and PCI sample slabs come up on the market and are inexpensive.
@U1chicago - I second the Hallmark suggestion (these have actually become less expensive this last year). A PCI, Tulving, Blanchard, and DGS (Dominion) are some others to consider.
@DNADave - Sweet! Throw in a David Hall flip for good measure.

Unfortunately, it does not take much to stimulate my obsessive compulsive disorder. Behold, exhibit A:

I believe I have purchased eight of the ten most desirable holders and seven of the ten least desirable holders. It's an eclectic, schizophrenic collection to say the least. A bit like its current owner. :wink:

Tim

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! People should collect whatever makes them happy. :)

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2021 7:58PM

Pretty sweet collection you got going. If you are ever interested in the Tulving holders I have a few that are in flips.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

wow

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! You have really expanded the collection and added a cool variety of holders!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of cool holders! B)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Thanks guys. On the list for Part 3:

CSI
    ANGS
    NASC
    NES
    NCC
    PCGS and NGC rarities (white label rattler and NGC black)

I either could not find these anywhere or could not find them at a reasonable price.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the holder with the rounded bottom. Distinctive. Round, like the coin. Makes sense in some ways.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet group!!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always love seeing and amazed at the collection strategies, goals and opinions of others. Stunning assortment!

• Options

@JBN said:
    I like the holder with the rounded bottom. Distinctive. Round, like the coin. Makes sense in some ways.

Agree that it has the unique coolness factor. Unfortunately, I don’t think Millennium Coin Certification Services ever became a household word in the TPG world.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool collection of TPG slabs!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now talking about eclectic. Surely defines your collection. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting collection. A PCGS slab from each generation would be cool as well. Don't tell your wife I said that. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive collection....When I lived in the PNW, I would go to all coin shows in the Seattle-Olympia-Tacoma-Renton-Everett-Bellevue areas. I often saw odd TPG holders, especially at the larger shows. I was never a slab collector, however, you have assembled a unique and interesting collection. Thanks for the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I want to see the "Universal Slab Box" (tm) that will hold each and every one of them securely!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Now I want to see the "Universal Slab Box" (tm) that will hold each and every one of them securely!

I'd be happy if I could just get all PCGS and NGC in the same box.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see one of mine. No grade, but you could say the same for most of those, too. ;)

• Options

@pointfivezero said:

@JBN said:

Agree that it has the unique coolness factor. Unfortunately, I don’t think Millennium Coin Certification Services ever became a household word in the TPG world.

It is a cool one but unfortunately the only thing most collectors know about them (if anything at all) is that it is the "toilet bowl" slab.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice collection!

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 7:09AM

By the way, here are a few more that I can recommend to round out your set:
    Numex, DCGS, ICCS (Canadian slabber), GENI (French slabber), and of course the u1chicago slab. :D

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice...I am putting together something similar but a lot smaller and won't have things like the Regency due to budget constraints. Thanks for posting this!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set! I want to get one one of those David Hall flips for my collection. Regency would be sweet too...but...$$$

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Nice set! I want to get one one of those David Hall flips for my collection. Regency would be sweet too...but...$$$

Thanks! Here is a great source for David Hall flips at a reasonable price and other old unique slabs as well:

https://www.oldslabholders.com/davidhall

My slab prices ranged from $.99 to $550.00. Most of them on the lower end.

Tim

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ooooooh! Eye candy for sure. Nice assortment of holders. Most I've seen at one time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you use any books/publications and/or websites/forums?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enlightening to say the least.
    So many different holders.
    Good luck in your search for others to add to your collection(s).
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

do you use any books/publications and/or websites/forums?

I believe I lived on Google during much of the adventure. I searched dozens of what would be considered obscure perusing grounds for collectors such as www.propertyroom.com, www.usacoinbook.com, Etsy, the aforementioned www.oldslabholders.com and of course, the more traditional routes such as the BST and ebay.

A couple of informative links for old and lesser known slabs:

https://coinweek.com/education/coin-grading/buy-the-holder-not-the-coin-10-slabs-to-look-for/

https://americanrarities.com/sell-slabbed-coins-certified-by-off-brand-grading-services/

https://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_Blog/the-top-coin-grading-services-to-avoid-like-a-disease/

Tim

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

Very Nice Collection of some Out Of Business slabs. (OOB)
    I have been collecting these for 15 years and have over 75 different companies. Condor101 has over 150 OOB, I am trying to catch his record but they are getting harder to find. At the shows I tell the dealers that "I collect what nobody wants" It is a lot of fun and I do enjoy the hunt.

You have eight companies that I don't have.
    EMGS, GCGS, GSAC, LVCS, NGP, NPG, TDCS and TGS

But I have 19 companies that you have not found yet.

Bob

• Options

@bob48 said:
    Very Nice Collection of some Out Of Business slabs. (OOB)
    I have been collecting these for 15 years and have over 75 different companies. Condor101 has over 150 OOB, I am trying to catch his record but they are getting harder to find. At the shows I tell the dealers that "I collect what nobody wants" It is a lot of fun and I do enjoy the hunt.

You have eight companies that I don't have.
    EMGS, GCGS, GSAC, LVCS, NGP, NPG, TDCS and TGS

But I have 19 companies that you have not found yet.

Oh no, my wife is using your name in vain as I type this Bob. Please do tell, what are the 19 left to find?

Tim

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

Tim
    Here is a link to OOB slabs,
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html#.YNIpp1RKg1I

The missing ones are as follows: (could just be how we abbreviated the name)
    AACGS, AHS, ANI, ANL, ANICS, Global, GGS, GEC, IGA, INGS, ING, INL, IGI, MMNS, NCI, NNCS, PCCI, UNC and WCG.

There are 134 companies on the list for the link and I have added some when I find one not on the list.
    Coin Help is not mine so I post pictures for them and he adds the company.
    Plus I have over 60 ANACS photo certs and 125 small white holders, Some are from when I submitted them to ANACS. I have completed the LLNNN combo for both of the ANACS companied (ANA & Amos)

ACCUGRADE is another hold that is common and I have 33 of these.

Bob

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

"Universal Slab Box"

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@bob48 said:
    Tim
    Here is a link to OOB slabs,
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html#.YNIpp1RKg1I

The missing ones are as follows: (could just be how we abbreviated the name)
    AACGS, AHS, ANI, ANL, ANICS, Global, GGS, GEC, IGA, INGS, ING, INL, IGI, MMNS, NCI, NNCS, PCCI, UNC and WCG.

There are 134 companies on the list for the link and I have added some when I find one not on the list.
    Coin Help is not mine so I post pictures for them and he adds the company.
    Plus I have over 60 ANACS photo certs and 125 small white holders, Some are from when I submitted them to ANACS. I have completed the LLNNN combo for both of the ANACS companied (ANA & Amos)

ACCUGRADE is another hold that is common and I have 33 of these.

Wow, that is a great resource. Just a note, I restricted my focus and search to plastic holders with the exception of the David Hall flip. I did see lots of the pre-plastic certification holders but intentionally avoided them.

Thanks - Tim

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 12:19PM

+1 on ICCS. Incredibly, we have a Canadian customer who collects Morgans and is apparently cracking them all out of PCGS and NGC holders and submitting them to ICCS.

Edited to add: Cool collection, btw!

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

Came across these the other day doing some research.

• Options

Man, you guys are killing me. See you all in divorce court.....

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 1:49PM

@pointfivezero said:
    Man, you guys are killing me. See you all in divorce court.....

Sorry about that (I say as I’m about to tempt you to spend more....).

If you are looking for a RNGA slab (first type in the post above yours), I know a US source with an example for $100.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great accumulation @pointfivezero, that is what I was trying to put together.

I thought I had sold all my OOB slabs. But NOOOOO, I found another stash.
    The photo below includes, ACA, ICGS, USA Grading (Coin World slab), HCGS, CGS, IGS, PGS, and NCCA (plastic 2x2 sealed in vinyl. Have duplicates of many and willing to part with .

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file