Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most "interesting" coin shipment packaging ever . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I thought I have seen it all. Packing in cardboard press and stick, multiple layers of bubble wrap, loose in envelopes, envelopes in boxes, you name it.

Today I got a shipment in your standard bubble wrap envelope, but when I opened the envelope I found this . . . . .

What's the most "unusual" packaging you've received a coin in?

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options

@Testoon said:
    At least they took the tobacco out first!

Ahem . . . . . "mostly" . . . . . .

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D That is great. Mine have always been in a USPS box with bubble wrap, a bubble envelope, a plain envelope, a package made from a large yellow envelope with tissue inside (gold coin missing), or a random box. Nothing so unique and interesting as a Skoal can. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the coin was quite safe...

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't receive it, but once shipped a group of high grade Wheat cents in 2 x 2"s in a Sears 35mm 40 slot slide tray. Buyer was fanatic about keeping the coins separated and wanted them individually wrapped. The slide tray worked out better keeping them separated and he thought it was great that the coins couldn't touch each other. Can't seem to find these 35 mm slide trays at the thrift stores any more.

Bruce

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruce7789 said:
    Didn't receive it, but once shipped a group of high grade Wheat cents in 2 x 2"s in a Sears 35mm 40 slot slide tray. Buyer was fanatic about keeping the coins separated and wanted them individually wrapped. The slide tray worked out better keeping them separated and he thought it was great that the coins couldn't touch each other. Can't seem to find these 35 mm slide trays at the thrift stores any more.

Bruce

i'm pretty sure i've seen something like that as i like finding odds/ends at them and the slides are something i've seen. trying to recall if i have seen the trays as well, pic?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

• Options

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a bra one time (she told me) that I brought over to her. Two of our house numbers were inverted is why. Move on

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once received a bottle of slab plastic polish in a sandwich bag. Mind you, the bag had been used and was full of crumbs.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) old socks
    2) package came two weeks back filled with 1970’s button down shirts

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    1) old socks
    2) package came two weeks back filled with 1970’s button down shirts

Hey watch it, I'm still wearing those 1970's button down collar shirts!..... B)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get a lot of wooden cigar boxes free from a friend that I bought cigars from. I had maybe 40 or so at one time. On very large quantity orders or very expensive coins, I would ship them in the wooden boxes of which some where tobacco lined. I would get some quizzical posts in that regard. I still today when shipping 2 slabs to the same person will use a plastic extra chewing gum case. Talk about protective packaging.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a box full of antique glass insulators that came each one wrapped in a T Shirt or a pair of Sweatpants - Brand new clothing. We instantly added to our wardrobes in one fell swoop!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Nice, keep them coming . . .

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Skoal can? At least no bandits were involved!

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any package that arrives safely we can forgive the methods. How many folks who have had things stolen or lost would have gladly paid for unique anti theft measures? Mark the package "machine parts"; stink it up so no one would think to steal; use other ruses and strange packaging.

• Options

As it worked out, I am pretty happy the seller sent it as he did. I was concerned about it arriving in one piece.

What I bought is a German Porcelain token / medal. Being porcelain, I am happy the seller chose a "case" to ship it in.

Here is a better photo of the "coin" . . . .

The design of this piece intrigued me. It was sold as a "German Porcelain Notgeld" or a medal. It is 42mm in diameter and has roughly the consistency of "flower pot" material.

There are some "interesting" translations on this piece. Issued / made in 1922, it falls squarely between WWI and WWII. The front says, "25 Years of Homeland Protection" and has Professor (Oskar) Seyffert's name.

The reverse bears the inscriptions, "State Museum" and "For Saxon Folk Art."

Interesting piece. Additional information appreciated.

Z

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if there was a pouch left over in it and if the coin was white what would happen to it if it was forgotten somewhere. Id say its now dip toned 🤣

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file