Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just got re-hired by the Census! let's see some coins from Census years!

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent the last couple years working for the 2020 Decennial (every 10 years) Census, it was my second time working for the Census. I worked for the 2010 Census as well. There was one wonderful gentleman in our office who had worked for the last 5! Probably a few of you have also done Census work...since almost half a million citizens are hired to help with each Decennial Census!

The Census actually operates a few HQ's around the country and does other surveys every year as well. Those surveys provide ongoing data in a ton of helpful ways...like researching data when opening a business in a particular area.

I'll be helping to do some auditing...so don't be surprised in a month and during the next few months if you get a wonderfully friendly Enumerator re-visiting you...It's part of the random auditing of the work last year. A certain percentage of random auditing is built into every Census, and yes, it's truly random.

The first census began more than a year after the inauguration of President Washington and shortly before the second session of the first Congress ended. Congress assigned responsibility for the 1790 census to the marshals of the U.S. judicial districts under an act which, with minor modifications and extensions, governed census taking through 1840. The law required that every household be visited, that completed census schedules be posted in "two of the most public places within [each jurisdiction], there to remain for the inspection of all concerned..." and that "the aggregate amount of each description of persons" for every district be transmitted to the president.

Census results are incredibly important as they determine federal funding (and plenty of other things) right down to every square block of the entire country...Hospitals, emergency services, public schools, libraries, roads and maintenance, etc...
A ton of fascinating info is available at census.gov
Overviews of every Census https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/overview/1790.html
72 years after each Decennial Census the actual Census records (names and gathered info) become publicly available.

Post your coins from the Census years!
The Census started in 1790 and has been completed every 10 years since without fail.
Census years...2020, 2010, 2000, 1990, 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950, 1940, 1930, 1920, 1910, 1900, 1890, 1880, 1870, 1860, 1850, 1840, 1830, 1820, 1810, 1800, 1790.

Not my coin...but I can dream :smiley:
1790 Standish Barry, Baltimore - 15-20 known
By the way...As far as I can tell this is the only 1790 U.S. coin ever graded by our host... I'd love to know if I'm wrong!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 6:42PM

I did it too last summer; very painful with all the restrictions and citizens trying to avoid cooperation. Recent immigrants are much more cooperative and appreciative of the work census does.

For me 1880 would be an interesting year that fell on the census, many interesting and even some tough coins and notes in that year, especially the $20 Lib. in MS.

This may have been the coin that I ended up selling with Goldberg: http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=48&lot=1612

I stupidly cracked out a PCGS 60 with a Euro look that after a quick dip in MS70 would never be Unc. again. 1880 the year the late President Grant after coming back from a worldwide tour wanted to be President again, but some key backers got cold feet and Garfield won the ticket and died soon thereafter.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on getting rehired by the Census Bureau. I guess they know they can count on you to do a good job. :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Congratulations on getting rehired by the Census Bureau. I guess they know they can count on you to do a good job. :D

Thank you kindly! I sure hope they can lol! I've been an Office Operations Supervisor and a Field Supervisor for them too...honestly some of the best employees I've ever managed and some of the best bosses I've ever experienced :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@SkyMan said:
    If my tracking is correct we are still missing an 1830, 1970, 1990, 2000 and 2010.

Here's a 1970...

Nice!!! Thank you for your thread census! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Here's 2010!

That is a beaut and looks like a top pop too!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is that I have participated in the past 8 censuses. 1950, 60, 70, 80, 90, 00, 10, 20.

bob :)
    PS: hope to participate in 2030 as well.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    All I can say is that I have participated in the past 8 censuses. 1950, 60, 70, 80, 90, 00, 10, 20.

PS: hope to participate in 2030 as well.

Wowee!!! Thank you sir! Awesome, just awesome.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Here's 2010!

That coin is still raw and in a 2x2, but it did catch my eye as a nice shield cent type.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely new information to me! Great write up and thanks for sharing. Something else to watch for now!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Here's 2010!

That coin is still raw and in a 2x2, but it did catch my eye as a nice shield cent type.

Just let me know if you want to unload it :) I would have it graded and pay you what its worth minus grading $38 w/ TV.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file