Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two Coin Shows, One Post

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last weekend was the Jacksonville, FL three day show. There were about 65 dealers and 120+ tables. I was excited to attend this show for the first time and it was the first good sized show for me in a long time, just like many others. I only attended one day. It was a 3.5 hour drive to get there and I packed my lunch in a smaller cooler to prevent the need to stop for lunch. The parking lot was packed and so was the venue. It was an odd feeling to be in such a packed venue with no one wearing masks. There seemed to be a lot of raw material and bullion. I was there for about 90 minutes. I searched the best I could but found nothing. I was shocked but I was a bit distracted with thinking about the long drive home...which took 4.5 hours. Ugh.

This weekend I attended the monthly Tampa show which was about a 20 minute drive from home. I had not been to a Tampa monthly show in a number of years and the last time it was at a different location. Anyway, this was nice, with about 10+ dealers and 20-30 tables. Small monthly show but you never know what you’ll find unless you go. I really liked the vibe of the show. I stopped at every case. Ordinarily I am looking for Mercury Dimes and their varieties but sometimes I can get distracted with toners or other widgets. I saw some raw toner Washington quarters to look through in a case. A couple had fairly nice color, but nothing magical or great. I asked for his price for three of them on common dates. He said $100. Ouch. They were raw, MS62-63 range and one of them had a terminal toning spot on the reverse. I let him keep them. At the last table I saw three Mercs to look at. One was attributed RPM-1 1941-S on an old tiny ANACS slab. This is the FS-501. Anyway, the coin was quite reasonable so I picked it up. Anyone want to guess the grade from some terrible cell phone pics? I’ll submit it to PCGS at Summer FUN on July 8th with a bunch of stuff. It was a nice 15-20 minute walk through the small show, certainly better than driving 8 hours and finding nothing the week prior.

After the show, I drove a few minutes down the road to visit with my father. He’s the one that got me started in coins at age 8 when he handed down his Mercs to me.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a guess at ms66ft

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you back on the FL show circuit again!
    Are you going to Lakeland?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Glad to see you back on the FL show circuit again!
    Are you going to Lakeland?

Thanks. I would have been back at shows last year but something was going on in the world that prevented it. I plan to be at Lakeland on July 1st and Summer FUN on July 8th. I can't wait! I'll save some serious cash by submitting in person at Summer FUN. Shipping and Insurance isn't cheap these days.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭

Wish we have shows in Hawaii soon

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show review.
    Glad you made a purchase on the Mercury dime.
    Lets us know what the grade is.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Thanks for your report.

+1

@WAYNEAS said:
    Thanks for the show review.
    Glad you made a purchase on the Mercury dime.
    Lets us know what the grade is.
    Wayne

I'll probably save that for a more formal GTG after I get a PCGS Cross and True View.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful report. Thanks for sharing! Is your dad still interested in coins?

peacockcoins

@braddick said:
    Wonderful report. Thanks for sharing! Is your dad still interested in coins?

Sadly, no. He never had any interest, even when I was a kid. I think he put together the books of Mercs when he was in his 20s if I had to guess. I showed him a couple of top pop Mercs I had about 10 years ago and he had zero interest. It just wasn't a hobby that we were destined to share. But, his one-time interest at least sparked mine. From his teens/twenties, he quickly went to firearms. He has now had dementia for 10-15 years now and just had a really severe stroke that almost took him out a few weeks ago. He has a really long road to recovery, if any of it is even possible. He's 86.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the double header show report... and that Merc is a real beauty. Sorry to hear of your Dad's illness. Good luck at the next shows. Cheers, RickO

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when San Diego had coin shows at the convention center, I took my dad to one. It was a pleasant day and a neat outing for us.
    Years later, I discovered my dad had zero interest in coin collecting- he simply wanted to spend time with me. I get a bit emotional thinking about it even today as he has since passed from Alzheimer's.

peacockcoins

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show reports and sharing your experiences.

I'm looking forward to attending more shows in the near future.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the dime :)

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    love the dime :)

Me too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file