Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1944-P Lincoln Cent! Would someone here please tell me what I'm missing about this worthless coin?

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just hucksters fishing for a prize sucker.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cheap - they are asking $25,000 on Etsy - LOL!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    you're on ebay and expecting every listing to be realistic?

that's unrealistic

No, not really.
    I'm on ebay looking for counterfeits/fakes when I see a listing for other items of interest pop up and I see a 44-P Linclon cent listed as Very Rare and asking $499.00 for it. I became interested in this for possible reasons I wasn't aware of. I didn't post the links to the other 4 listings that were $350.00 and up because the URL's were giants for some reason.
    There was a dozen or so listings at lest labeling these as VERY RARE!
    So, I got out my,
    2018, and my
    2021 Coin Red Book thinking there was something I was missing about this coin?
    Then I posted my question about this coin on here to get others take on this coin, or some feedback about it that I didn't know about.
    You made something else out of my post other than what I meant for some reason? I didn't say anything remotely close to why is there a couple of listings on ebay with exuberant prices for this coin?
    I plainly ask to why is there so many listings stating how rare this coin is when I didn't have any information on the coin being rare at all.
    I've been a member on ebay sense February 2000, I've been around the ebay block a few times already, in fact there isn't a day in my life where I don't look something up on ebay. I buy LOTS of car and truck parts and I have three online sources I use for price comparison, Ebay, Rock Auto, and Amazon but it has to be the same brand name part.
    I'm pretty new to this forum, I'm not new to ebay!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 9:23PM

Could it be that they are mistaking the rare and valuable 44 Steel Variety for the normal copper ones? Or just a "Monkey see, Monkey do" type of thing? And did you look at their other coin listings? They also list all their other common wheats as RARE and for ridiculously high prices.

ESIT: And seeing you are an experienced eBayer then you should know to look at the "Sold items" for a feel of the true selling prices instead of the "Asking" prices in live auctions/BINs.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Could it be that they are mistaking the rare and valuable 44 Steel Variety for the normal copper ones? Or just a "Monkey see, Monkey do" type of thing? And did you look at their other coin listings? They also list all their other common wheats as RARE and for ridiculously high prices.

I did look trough one of the sellers other items and I did notice they had several of 44-P listed as VERY rare with a very high price. One seller has a very bad condition 43-P "Silver Steel" very rare Lincoln Cent. I guess what got me to thinking I might be missing something about this penny was I saw bunches of listings for this "Vary Rare" coin.
    One thing is for sure these people have never looked at or saw an Official Coin Price Guide of any kind.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

So in all seriousness, you're not likely to see these in pocket change more than about once in ten years. Less unless you're looking really hard for them. As money they actually are extremely rare. Some people think that there is a correlation between that and valuable. PCGS estimates (CoinFacts) a survival rate of 143,000,000. In fact they are valuable, compared to a shield cent of the past ten years. In average circulated condition, they are worth 6-10 times as much. If you write that as 500%-900% more, you can fool yourself into thinking that there is some serious value there. Most of these coins are better than "average circulated", so may be worth up to $1. I didn't look at all of them.

But put yourself in the sellers' shoes. You search tens of thousands of cents per year, probably calling them pennies. The 1944 without mint mark just doesn't show up. When it does you think you've hit the gold mine so you list it on eBay for $350. Someone the next town over finds another one, looks on eBay to see what these are worth, and lists his for $350. Third guy in a slightly larger city knows he has something wonderful, goes to a coin dealer so he doesn't have to wait to get his profit from eBay. Dealer offers him 6c. Guy is indignant, so dealer offers to sell him a roll for $5. Guy realizes that despite his difficulty finding them, they just aren't all that rare, tells the guys selling on eBay. They don't believe him, block him.

I just think there is amazing ignorance out there (not on your part; on the part of the would-be sellers). I don't even think they're trying to rip anyone off. If they were, they'd have a listing for up to 50 at $10 each.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's quite possible that people see a YouTube video about rare 1943 and/or 1944 cents and also see YouTube videos about "rare" No S or No P coins and put the pieces together wrong.

If you are 40ish or under, your pocket change has always had mint marks on all coins. The P-less Philly coins might seem novel.

We get questions on this forum every year about a "No S 1975" cent which is just a regular circulating Philly cent.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those listings are just part of why I do not look at coins on ebay anymore.... Garbage, scams, hoaxes, etc., just not worth my time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's on the internet, it has to be true! 😮

Ken
  • Options

When I found so many different listings for this coin, with so many crazy prices, and then when I checked my US coin guides I thought it possible that my information source had missed something on this coin, so to double check and for conversation I opened up a forum discussion about it.
    I scanned the below image from my coin guide and I may send it to some of the sellers later on.

When I lost my job (company closed down our area warehouse) ebay was very good to be in helping me sell items for extra money. Case in point. I found an old all metal 1 quart "Rocket Motor Oil" can that was still about half full of oil. I emptied it out, cleaned it up, took some good pictures of it, listed it on an auction on ebay with a low starting bid, it sold for an easy $188.00 and the person who got it was very happy!
    My oldest stepson a little over a week ago sends me an ebay link for two door lock actuators for his Chevy and tells me to order them for him, so he gets two NEW ones for a total of $59.00 he said the auto parts stores want near $100.00 for just just one!
    And over the years I've found it a great place to find upgraded non key dates of lincoln cents, there is NO COIN DEALERS in my area outside of Rip Off Pawn shops!
    So, I agree that they're are lots of scammers on ebay, but if someone is careful it can be a great place to find select things.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

EDIT: And seeing you are an experienced eBayer then you should know to look at the "Sold items" for a feel of the true selling prices instead of the "Asking" prices in live auctions/BINs.

I do when I'm looking at an item of interest, I'll bookmark them to see what or if they sell at all for. I wasn't looking at a 44-D Lincoln cent with any interest in it, I've have several of them that I've found metal detecting, I recently sorted my Mother's $39.00 penny hoard (she just passed away the 15th of May) and she had several rolls of sorted 40's 50's 60's & 70's Lincoln cents. I went through them looking for key dates and possible common date upgrades for my collection.
    I then re-rolled them and sorted everything pre-1980 by there decade and marked each roll as such, folded and glued (pressed) the end flaps, and mark each roll as such, 40's 50's 60's and 70's
    My mother was 92 when she died and I guess for something to do to pass time she would sort and go through her "Pennies" and she had already marked several rolls of them, so I finished the best I could what she had started. She had enough 1982 cents for me to get an entire roll of just 82 coppers, so I rolled them and marked them 82 Copper.
    There were bunches of the 44-P cents in her hoard.
    The lady at the bank was impressed with the box of rolled, labeled, and glued and pressed end flapped "Pennies"

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 9:11AM

@{ @MarkW63 states: "I went through them looking for key dates and possible common date upgrades for my collection.
    I then re-rolled them and sorted everything pre-1980 by there decade and marked each roll as such, folded and glued (pressed) the end flaps, and mark each roll as such, 40's 50's 60's and 70's" }

That's why I try to avoid glued or taped ends on coin rolls - usually means someone has gone through them already - :)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked the seller of the last one if he was sure that the mint mark hadn't been removed. I await his answer.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    I asked the seller of the last one if he was sure that the mint mark hadn't been removed. I await his answer.

That's cruel, but I like it :D

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are sellers with low sales/purchases so, just figure con artists or not so smart people.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Steven59 said:
    { @MarkW63 states: "I went through them looking for key dates and possible common date upgrades for my collection.
    I then re-rolled them and sorted everything pre-1980 by there decade and marked each roll as such, folded and glued (pressed) the end flaps, and mark each roll as such, 40's 50's 60's and 70's" }

That's why I try to avoid glued or taped ends on coin rolls - usually means someone has gone through them already - :)

Yep! especially being marked in decades and I thought that, but I also thought about the copper hoarders and the Wheat Cent hoarders when I did that. I wasn't meaning to hide anything for sure!
    One thing I don't understand about my Mom's penny hoard was the nothing older than 1940? literally 1940, several of those, its like a cut off date or something.
    I thought about marking the rolls "Betty's Hoard" but I didn't.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

I just sent messages to several sellers listing High Priced 44P Lincoln Cents, in my message I also included the scanned image from my coin guide.
    I've already gotten one thank you response, and the reason why they put the listing up, see screen shot below.
    I'm going to say that a good number of sellers are going to pull their listings of these coins now.
    And I feel better about sending them the message after confirming the information here on the forum that the coin isn't a "Very Rare" coin at all.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

Good idea! That should really stir the pot.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a 1940 wheat back yesterday, I'll get at least $700 for it

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth the time or energy. You did well to email them and let them know that their price is super ridiculous and let it go at that.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    I got a 1940 wheat back yesterday, I'll get at least $700 for it

Does it have a mint mark? :D

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 12:14PM

And then I get a response like this!

In his title description he states his has a "High Strike" ??? https://www.ebay.com/itm/114827932099?ul_noapp=true

To which I responded with this,
    (To The Seller I Wrote)
    Remember, I'm only trying to help.
    There is nothing rare about the 1944-P copper cent.
    I have a Lincoln cent collection that I've been working to complete sense 1981 and I have all the Rare Key dates, I also have the Red Book Coin price Guides.
    I have the 1965, 1999, 2011, 2018, and the 2021 edition.
    Your more than welcome to keep your listing up, but to be really fair about the price maybe you could take a look at what the real coin is being listed for by people who deal in coins.
    See this listing for condition and price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164897274682?hash=item2664a4bb3a:g:cZoAAOSwVnpguW8X
    Have a wonderful day.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t mean to insult you.

These high BIN pocket change auctions are common and there are a lot of people doing it. It has been this way since the beginning.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

There used to be threads on over used eBay keywords.

Rare
    PQ
    Gem

Then there is the old “L@@K” that you don’t see much anymore.

You will also see pictures of details holders without mention of it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2021 2:54PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    I didn’t mean to insult you.

These high BIN pocket change auctions are common and there are a lot of people doing it. It has been this way since the beginning.

Thanks!
    Until the recent maybe three years on ebay I never paid much attention to the rare or key date coin listings, so for the other 17 years or so, I bought and sold things like motorcycle & car parts. When I lost my job at the warehouse in 2014 I was there forklift mechanic (the last one) so they let me take home all the forklift shop manuals to which I sold on ebay.
    Being broke at the time and a mechanic most of my life I also sold some tools that I felt I was never going to use again.
    I still shop for gun stuff on ebay, holsters, gun mag's etc..
    And now that my Mother passed away and me and my two brothers (and wives) are left to clean out her house we've found that she never through much of anything away,
    She's got lamps, waffle irons, sewing machines, blender, and the like that dates back to the 20's and 30's so, I've been checking ebay for what those kinds of items are actually selling for. To which the smaller things that I can box and ship easy enough I'm planning on putting on ebay!
    She still had a model train set (Louis Marx, Post WWII) that we had when we were kids that I'm going to list on ebay.
    A ViewMaster set with 80 reels I'm going to list (one like hers went off for $165.00 the other day) here is another one that recently sold for $108.00
    She has a near perfect blender from the early 70's I'm going to list (just the blender base like hers alone sold for $40.00)
    I wish she had some old motor oil cans, those things are worth a small fortune LoL!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    There used to be threads on over used eBay keywords.

Rare
    PQ
    Gem

Then there is the old “L@@K” that you don’t see much anymore.

You will also see pictures of details holders without mention of it.

I used to see "WoW" all the time in title descriptions :D

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

the under-used keyword: cleaned

• Options

I just got another ebay response to one of my messages to the sellers.
    So far except for the one seller who claims his to be a "Strong Strike" the rest has been reasonable to thankful.
    This one just in.

Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file