Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Bragging Rights...and the Proof For Posterity

JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2021 12:23PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Have You recently upgraded a Set to #1 Rank?

Have You added a coin that moved Your Set to the Top 5 ATF?

Have You surpassed a big-time collector in the rankings?

If You've done any of the above or anything else You think worthy of recognition and You would like to share it here...post a picture or screenshot of Your achievement for posterity

Go !

When the 2020 Annual Awards finally got posted...I had 5 Proof Sets that earned the Blue Icons...

Today with the added last 5 2004 Silver Quarters...I have added 20 more Proof Sets that are ranked #1

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet said:
    Have You recently upgraded a Set to #1 Rank?

Have You added a coin that moved Your Set to the Top 5 ATF?

Have You surpassed a big-time collector in the rankings?

If You've done any of the above or anything else You think worthy of recognition and You would like to share it here...post a picture or screenshot of Your achievement for posterity

Go !

When the 2020 Annual Awards finally got posted...I had 5 Proof Sets that earned the Blue Icons...

Today with the added last 5 2004 Silver Quarters...I have added 20 more Proof Sets that are ranked #1

Way to go Jon.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 6:29PM

Here's one I noticed today...where I've surpassed a big-time name in the rankings by several spots...and now My sights are focused on the big dog above Me

1968-Present Proof Set

Jon
    Release the hounds and take no survivors. lol
    Once again, your proof sets are amazing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job! Keep those screen shots for an historical record!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited May 4, 2021 4:47AM

Another coming later today - will edit this post then

Big Dog Down !

Here's the screenshot prior...2015 Proof Set

edited May 1, 2021 3:51PM

And after the coin was added...the NEW 2015 Proof Set ATF Top 5

edited May 6, 2021 9:05PM

Just a couple coins remain to #1 ranking

Anyone have a lead on a 2014 Kennedy Clad PR70DCAM?

Edit: Found it on eBay

Still looking for you.
    Hopefully someone will hook you up before the deadline.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Sent you an email this morning. Hope you are able to work a deal on it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    Sent you an email this morning. Hope you are able to work a deal on it.
    Wayne

Sent the seller an email yesterday...no response yet so not holding My breath

🤞
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Another position with a couple of notable collections just below Mine

1999-Present Proof Set

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

My set, AJBRAMI, recently reached #1 in "100 Greatest Women on Coins", held for a few days or weeks. Now #2. Acquiring First Spouse Gold is what's holding me back.

@bramn8r said:
    My set, AJBRAMI, recently reached #1 in "100 Greatest Women on Coins", held for a few days or weeks. Now #2. Acquiring First Spouse Gold is what's holding me back.

I've fallen out of the ATF Top 5 too...but the posterity record still remains

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bramn8r said:

That is a very nice and challenging set with amazing foreign coins as well. I did not even know a top 100 existed.

Take a look at the spare first spouse gold circulated and proof set on the registry #19 which has some available that you are missing for direct offers. PM if interested. I also still have a couple gold Kennedy proofs available in 69.

Finally got Me a ATF #1 Spot !!

I see that you finally got them to remove the gold Kennedy and moved into a different set. Congratulations.

So are you going to retire it now? LOL

@Goldminers said:
    I see that you finally got them to remove the gold Kennedy and moved into a different set. Congratulations.

Actually I got them to rename the original 2014 Proof Set...and create a new one without the Gold

And since I am locked into the #1 Spot I see no need to Retire the Set to hold a position (like others have)

@Goldminers said:

So the real question might be...

With Annual Awards deadline fast approaching...and the new 2014 Proof Set being eligible...

Are You all going to allow Me to easily get the Gold Icon and Plaque for the only #1-Ranked Proof Set

• Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@JonJet said:

@Goldminers said:

With Annual Awards deadline fast approaching...and the new 2014 Proof Set being eligible...

Are You all going to allow Me to easily get the Gold Icon and Plaque for the only #1-Ranked Proof Set

Well, considering there are no less than 14 sets that have the gold as well, and all perfect grades, I would imagine that most of the others with the 2014 proof set don't care about this set. Or the gold icon. Or the plaque.

@Morpheus1967 said:

@JonJet said:

@Goldminers said:

Well, considering there are no less than 14 sets that have the gold as well, and all perfect grades, I would imagine that most of the others with the 2014 proof set don't care about this set. Or the gold icon. Or the plaque.

This set does just as I intended...it provides a path for those who cannot afford the 2014 Kennedy Gold coin (or like Me - don't believe it belongs) an opportunity at a #1 2014 Proof Set...and currently also offers an ATF Top 5 position as well

It will be fun to watch the Top 5 ranks fill...and see where this set is in comparison in a few years

Honest question. What is the significance of the ATF Top 5 position? I mean, I have 3 sets of silver krugerrands (2017-2021) that are all ranked #1. But they aren't in the ATF top 5. Does that make them any less of a #1 set? Because I don't think it does.

@Morpheus1967 said:
    Honest question. What is the significance of the ATF Top 5 position? I mean, I have 3 sets of silver krugerrands (2017-2021) that are all ranked #1. But they aren't in the ATF top 5. Does that make them any less of a #1 set? Because I don't think it does.

Nope...no less - just bragging rights

All- Time Finest Top 5 is simply the right to say You were one of the first 5 to complete the set with regard to all tie-breakers

The first ATF Top 5 is now set...

Do You have what it takes to unseat any of them??

Now it would seem that the top 2 ATF spots are filled...

Who's going to step up and take another?

No offense, but I seriously don't understand your obsession with the top 5. Unless it's just an ego thing?

@Morpheus1967 said:
    No offense, but I seriously don't understand your obsession with the top 5. Unless it's just an ego thing?

No offense...but seriously You made a similar comment on May 11...and I replied

And no offense...but seriously It's nothing more than a List - and signifies the first 5 completed #1 ranked sets

And no offense...but seriously have You ever been in a competition of any type and had the desire to complete it first?

And also no offense...but seriously for all intents and purposes...just as a secret between everyone on the planet...

IT'S JUST AN EGO THING but those who actively participate think of it as a little something more

The new 2014 Proof Set continues onward...with 3 of the ATF Top 5 positions now taken...

Who will become #4 ??

With the additions of the final 2 coins today...My 2010 and 2013 Proof Sets are now complete...

Bringing the total new #1-ranked sets to 23 for the 2021 Annual Awards deadline on 6/30/2021

@JonJet said:

IT'S JUST AN EGO THING but those who actively participate think of it as a little something more

Yet I see you're the only one really posting about it. Good luck with your collecting.

Since I am the creator/author of this thread...

And since the 2014 Proof Set was My New Set Request...

And since I am the most likely to promote it...

It's logical to think that I'd be the most frequent respondent

@JonJet said:
    Since I am the creator/author of this thread...

And since the 2014 Proof Set was My New Set Request...

And since I am the most likely to promote it...

It's logical to think that I'd be the most frequent respondent

Nice job Jon.
    I admire your proof sets. Keep updating those sets that are not yet at Pr70's.
    Enjoy those Gold awards and #1 ATF spots. :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 6:14PM

I have climbed back to the 1st place - ATF position of this set, however since its not to 95% and ONLY 410 coin set..It likely will remain unrecognized.

This has been one tough set from 2007-2106 and 2020 Presidential Dollar Sets with ALL Edge Varieties.

The Elsmore Collection has been a labor of patience to get to 92%

edited June 2, 2021 10:53PM

The ATF Top 5 becomes a much closer-to-completion mystery...

With 4 of the Top 5 already clinched...Who will be the last ?

@Silverstate said:

I have climbed back to the 1st place - ATF position of this set, however since its not to 95% and ONLY 410 coin set..It likely will remain unrecognized.

This has been one tough set from 2007-2106 and 2020 Presidential Dollar Sets with ALL Edge Varieties.

The Elsmore Collection has been a labor of patience to get to 92%

Quite an accomplishment @Silverstate. I can see that it is a very time consuming set but with each new slot filled, you must get a small shot of adrenalin. Keep us updated when you reach 95% or better.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Wayne,
    You nailed it. We all get a little small shot of adrenalin with each slot filled. I'm short 12 coins to hit 95%.
    It can be done with patience and determination and money of course.

@Silverstate said:
    Wayne,
    You nailed it. We all get a little small shot of adrenalin with each slot filled. I'm short 12 coins to hit 95%.
    It can be done with patience and determination and money of course.

Left you some feedback on your set. ;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited June 4, 2021 6:16AM

@Silverstate,

Congratulations on a very nice set. That is a very tough set to get 95% and you are not alone, as there are a few other sets that are also extremely challenging to get even 90%.

However, the rules do state the following, so there is some hope :)

""Best of the Registry" icons will be awarded to each set that is ranked number one with at least 95% completion, or in the case of large set compositions, those sets with 500 or more coins registered. Note that the completion requirement may be waived if the judges deem a set worthy. ("Best of the Registry" award certificates will be printed and mailed at the winner's request.)"

The upcoming Annual Awards deadline looms closer each day...and the 23 new icons I'll earn will account for slightly more than 1/3 of My total Proof Sets (2021 is the 65th year since I only collect 1957-Present)

My (5) 2020 icons were for the nickels and Sac/NA Dollars Proof Sets

Going forward...completing additional Proof Sets will not only be difficult but also a bit spendy so I'll pick and choose based on availability and funding - savings account already created for the 2014 Gold Kennedy which has been a thorn in My side for over a year...but that may be awhile with only about 20% saving complete

But it will allow time to reflect and create the Set Descriptions to record thoughts on each Proof Set...as well as research the individual sets and put into words the results I find - already planning for those

Look for comments in this thread in July about those Proof Sets / Descriptions

Hhhmm...

It would seem the MindReaders at PCGS are one day behind Me and decided to send out a Reminder...

Important: Set Registry Awards Deadlines

Dear Set Registry Members,

PCGS celebrates two major milestones in 2021, as our company turned 35 in February and the Set Registry is now 20 years old. Thanks to you and our other dedicated members, there are now over 130,000 registered sets and more than 2,000,000 items in active inventory. This kind of support propels us in our quest for innovation to make the Set Registry be all that it can be.

We understand that friendly competition amongst members is a critical component for many of you. We look forward to honoring those who rise above the rest each year. In 2020, we gave out 379 awards and recognized 6,746 sets as Best of Registry making it, by far, the most robust Set Registry awards recognition in the industry. 2021 appears to be just as competitive, so we wish you the best of luck with your endeavors this year and beyond.

The deadline for adding and updating your sets is Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 5 pm EDT / 2 pm PDT. Winners will be announced by the first week of August.

edited June 6, 2021 9:51AM

The 2014 Proof Set has it's ATF Top 5...

One spot remains in the Current Top 10 - will You be able to claim it?

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand all the whoopla over these proof sets that have three, four, ten or more first place sets. Doesn't sound like much of a challenge to me. I would never think of wasting my money or time on modern dead president sets.

edited June 9, 2021 9:20PM

When I was 7...I gasped at the TV set that told of the assassination of JFK...

It is in fact the JFK Gold coin that prompted Me to request this Proof Set that is completed without it

Coins collecting has many avenues...possibilities and facets

If You don't like one...move on and try another

Likewise the advice is the same for this Proof Set

And as far as presidential coins...only those former deceased Presidents are given such an honor

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

As a former President said, "Our coinage is of atrocious hideousness." Well, US coinage is now back to that situation with Presidential Dollars that look like gas station tokens and circulating and proof coins that have so little relief and detail that they look stamped from Japanese tin cans. A very sad situation indeed. The only coinage the US makes now that looks good are resurrected designs from the past for bullion coins.

If You are so taken agast by the Presidential Dollars...

Why don't You go to / start a thread Yourself?

This Proof Set doesn't have a Presidential Dollar so You're way out of place and completely off-topic

Or simply dazed and confused

@mrcommem said:
    I don't understand all the whoopla over these proof sets that have three, four, ten or more first place sets. Doesn't sound like much of a challenge to me. I would never think of wasting my money or time on modern dead president sets.

Not much whoopla if it's just one person.

From a post above...the was part of an email sent to every member of this forum...

"We understand that friendly competition amongst members is a critical component for many of you. We look forward to honoring those who rise above the rest each year. In 2020, we gave out 379 awards and recognized 6,746 sets as Best of Registry making it, by far, the most robust Set Registry awards recognition in the industry. 2021 appears to be just as competitive, so we wish you the best of luck with your endeavors this year and beyond."

So...the number of collectors who do believe it's important to them tops 7,100

And this "new for 2021" Proof Set will help attempt to make the numbers rise above last year

Don't like it or want to get involved? Move along and stop trolling this thread

With only 2 weeks before the Annual Awards deadline...

10 current sets are registered - with a tie for 9th place

Who's got what it will take to bump any of those down a notch or more?

2 new Sets have been added...and the 9th slot has been taken over

Plenty of time to secure a Top Rank spot before the Annual Awards deadline...but time is a-wasting

June 28 brought activation of two new Washington Quarter Proof Sets...

WASHINGTON QUARTERS AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL NATIONAL PARK QUARTERS SET, PROOF (2010-2021)

WASHINGTON QUARTERS AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL NATIONAL PARK QUARTERS SET, SILVER PROOF (2010-2021)