Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Head Scratcher 1804 $5 King Farouk Coin

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched in a somewhat recent Heritage auction, the King Karouk 1804 Overdate $5 in 62+ CAC. The coin looked like a nice original, but I couldn't get over the rim dings even though the whole package/pedigree was very neat. The coin Hammered for about $30K which seemed a bit weak.

Months later the coin has reappeared (can't mistake the rim dings), in a 62+ Non-CAC holder and no pedigree for $35K on ebay. A very curious move. I'm guessing the coin was cracked as PCGS has both certs as active. I'm still debating whether the coin was dipped in between. The images look much brighter in the newer holder, but the "dirt" in all areas remains under close Trueview inspection.

It just seems the person who handled the coin did everything wrong:

-removed potential significant Pedigree
-Graded the same grade, but increased the Pop from 1 to 2
-Did not get the CAC approval

Thoughts?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since one would assume that the PCGS is using the same procedure for both photographs, It looks like the coin may have been dipped. I know that I can get different looks with my photos depending upon the lighting and photo processing.

As for the coin, the rim issue is annoying. It's a beautiful coin otherwise.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if he is still in business yet there was a dealer who could repair that rim ding as that kind of issue is right up his alley. He is (was) relatively expensive but his work was excellent. (Some of the coins with a hole he repaired looked like the hole never existed.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't stop looking at the fascinating 8

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have PCGS images of the same coin taken twice that look very different, so I would not put much comment into the images.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Spud2020Spud2020 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Doesn't a high value coin like this get mapped with the Gold Shield service ? I was under the impression that with this technology it would prevent crackouts attempting for a higher grade.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't looked dipped to these eyes, the copper of the arrows/shield is consistent with lighting differences

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spud2020 said:
    Doesn't a high value coin like this get mapped with the Gold Shield service ? I was under the impression that with this technology it would prevent crackouts attempting for a higher grade.

Gold Shield service coins aren't immune to upgrades.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt it was dipped ... look at the original Heritage HD photo ... looks as nice as it going to be and per Heriatge ...
    "Minor hairlines and slightly broken luster in the open fields define the grade, but both sides of this Plus-graded MS62 five dollar are razor-sharp"

I think the buyer was just hoping the + grade and a Green CAC combined would be rewarded with a 63 or 63+ and a 10/15K bump in price ... maybe they would have had better luck sending it to NGC as I have seen several PCGS CAC graded pieces getting a pop when they send to NGC ... but then again maybe they had tried with NGC and no luck there either.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt the same coin.... Cannot speak to a dip, could be lighting etc. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd trust the graders and would never trust an early high value coin like that to any but the best conservation service.

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both examples are very nice looking. I would rather have the Pedigree on the holder with the cac sticker.
    I think it’s been dipped and it’s not the photos. The toning pattern between the bust and stars is gone. Also in several other spots. Especially behind the head is spotty now.
    Still a nice example

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was dipped, I prefer the original look. That may be why it is not CAC now.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is also one on GC currently- PCGS 63 CAC without rim issues- if anyone is shopping for one of these- bidding starts at $58.5k- no TrueView

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin to me. Not sure why they would lose the pedigree... dumb

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 3:08PM

Looks like the same coin but with very different (better) lighting. Top photos are what I'd consider a low quality imaging job. New images look like Phil's.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 3:29PM

Maybe PCGS can remove the duplicate? Especially with a MS population so small overall?

The 64 coin(s) has sold 3 times with 3 different cert numbers. $126k, $75k, $78k. All CAC. All within a year. CAC pop still correct at just 1 coin.

Maybe the same guy bought that coin also. Crack out a sole top pop coin, double population and sell for 40% less. Not sure who wanted to crack a top pop coin a couple times. That one has a rim issue also.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Maybe they just really wanted to touch it. Can’t blame them…

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 4:14PM

Thoughts?

dipped=doctored (unless toning is ugly) with this old school numismatist. The coin's color is fine before the possible dip making dip unnecessary and the rim ding is not a big deal.Opinion.

Not sure why they would lose the pedigree...dumb

Blunder. Same kind of thing as the dealer I knew who bought some of Eliasberg's beautiful originally toned Barber dimes and bright dipped them. Another loss of pedigree. I was aghast when he showed me what he had done. He ruined the '93-O.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 or so years ago. I had a 1907 $20 HR graded MS62 with NGC; the coin was original, looked high end, The dealer I bought if from who handled a number of high end coins told me that the small ball of dirt it had on the reverse eagle was what was preventing it from upgrading to MS63. So I sent it in for conservation thinking they would be conservative not doing anything if there was a chance of making it worse. It came back with a washed out appearance, and the ball of dirt was still there. Obviously I was not happy especially with the high costs connected. Moral of the story, an old coin, especially a 200+ year old coin should probably be left alone.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was offered a really nice set of barber Quarters around 10 years ago. The problem was the set was a consignment and I pointed out the 01-S in F-VF in the set was bad. I asked the dealer if he could sell it without the 01-S and he wasn't sure. He said obviously it's a no go with the 01-S. Well dang! He didn't get back to me and the nice original XF-AU balance of the set was offered to me individually the next day. The flipper that bought the set had dipped every dang coin in the set the night before and ruined them IMHO. :s

@mr1874 said:
    Thoughts?

dipped=doctored (unless toning is ugly) with this old school numismatist. The coin's color is fine before the possible dip making dip unnecessary and the rim ding is not a big deal.Opinion.

Not sure why they would lose the pedigree...dumb

Blunder. Same kind of thing as the dealer I knew who bought some of Eliasberg's beautiful originally toned Barber dimes and bright dipped them. Another loss of pedigree. I was aghast when he showed me what he had done. He ruined the '93-O.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was not dipped. :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    The coin was not dipped. :)

No? The tiny dark spots inside the L and the R were removed by some other means?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2021 3:33PM

1) I can't even see the "tiny dark spots" (unless they're shadows), but I know several dealers with microscopes and good hands. I've shaken a few crusty clumps of micro-gunk off coins with an ultrasonic and a non-corrosive solvent.

2) The color is unchanged. The images are the same, merely differing in richness of color. All of the toning is unchanged. The date, stars, eagle+shield, little crevasses all over the coins; all retain their deep orange patina.

3) Have you ever dipped gold, especially early gold. Or otherwise tried to remove "whatever". Ask yourself why John Albanese ask me to serve on the PNG's Coin Doctoring Definition committee. The majority of what you might consider doctoring is actually conservation.

4) "You" have no idea of what "we" know. Or the tens of thousands of dollars many of "us" have paid in tuition. PCGS Conservation knows a few tricks (processes), yet could take a few lessons. Me too.

edited to add:
    My instincts say that both images are off. "In-hand" would be critical on this piece.
    My guess is that the first image is closer to actuality.
    In the second, the colors, especially on the reverse, are too rich. The obverse film appears darkened (thickened) due to a shift in refraction and has lost much of its translucency.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file