Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 CC and O mint Morgan Dollars

mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why the Treasury Dept. can't mint the new Morgan Dollars at the New Orleans and Carson City Mints for 2021. The mint officials said its too expensive to move presses to Carson City and New Orleans. I can't believe the expense can be all that great and I don't believe that security would be a problem. To ship a press could be shipped from San Francisco to Carson City by rail for a minimal amount and the same could be shipped from Philadelphia to New Orleans. I think the demand and surcharge that could be put on these coins would pay for the expense of shipping and security. It is not like it would be forever but only for less than a year.

Comments

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@mrcommem do you have any experience in what you are suggesting?
    I do and it’s not that simple.
    Can it be done? Yes. But they would have had to start the process early in 2020 to be able to be up and running to make coins this year.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:
    I don't understand why the Treasury Dept. can't mint the new Morgan Dollars at the New Orleans and Carson City Mints for 2021. The mint officials said its too expensive to move presses to Carson City and New Orleans. I can't believe the expense can be all that great and I don't believe that security would be a problem. To ship a press could be shipped from San Francisco to Carson City by rail for a minimal amount and the same could be shipped from Philadelphia to New Orleans. I think the demand and surcharge that could be put on these coins would pay for the expense of shipping and security. It is not like it would be forever but only for less than a year.

The Mint has previously mentioned that it would cost a Minimum of $1M to move a press to Carson City, Nevada from San Francisco...

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and the Coin Press #1 that resides in the old CC Mint building (now part of the Nevada State Museum) can no longer strike up dollar size coins.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint didn't make 2009-S V.D.B. pennies for collectors. Why should they make 2021 dollars with obsolete mintmarks for collectors?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @mr1874 — I don’t need a proliferation of mint marks any more than I need a proliferation of privy marks.

I just hope they focus on the quality of the implementation, and avoid the Old San Francisco mint commem fiasco.

Higashiyama
  • Options

If it take a million dollar to ship a press from S> @cagcrisp said:

@mrcommem said:

The Mint has previously mentioned that it would cost a Minimum of $1M to move a press to Carson City, Nevada from San Francisco...

If it takes a $1M to ship a press to Carson City from San Francisco, they are getting robbed. This is a government price not reality.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine Dahlonega, Charlotte or Manila Morgans?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much cheaper just to put privy marks on them, maybe transport them to and from the sites of the old mints to become legitimized as if they were casks of aquavit crossing the equator, then hype the heck out of them.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Much cheaper just to put privy marks on them, maybe transport them to and from the sites of the old mints to become legitimized as if they were casks of aquavit crossing the equator, then hype the heck out of them.

Just like "Wisconsin cheese". All that has to happen is for a truck loaded with cheese to go into the State of Wisconsin, then they can sell it for a premium as a product of the Dairy State.

thefinn
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no rail to CC from SF. Reno is the closest. It would not be cheap but semi tractor trailer would not be expensive.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about they find a designer with initials of CC and just put their initials where the mint mark would be.. problem solved.

• Options

@mrcommem said:
    If it take a million dollar to ship a press from S> @cagcrisp said:

@mrcommem said:

If it takes a $1M to ship a press to Carson City from San Francisco, they are getting robbed. This is a government price not reality.

It's irrelevant whether you like government pricing or not, it is what it is. $1M and wasted at any price. The United States Mint will sell EVERY CC and O privy mark they put on the coin whether you like it or not. The Mint should Not raise the prices by a $Million dollars just to satisfy a few...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure there will be any 2021 Morgan.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2021 10:21AM

@Smudge said:

It’s Federal Law.

There is No question about whether there will be 2021 Morgan and 2021 Peace Silver dollars or not...

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@Smudge said:

It’s Federal Law.

There is No question about whether there will be 2021 Morgan and 2021 Peace Silver dollars or not...

We'll see. I know they say there will be, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them, and plan on buying at least the peace dollar if they follow through with them, but i don't have a whole lot of faith that we'll actually see these.

• Options

@Atcarroll said:

@cagcrisp said:

@Smudge said:

It’s Federal Law.

We'll see. I know they say there will be, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them, and plan on buying at least the peace dollar if they follow through with them, but i don't have a whole lot of faith that we'll actually see these.

I’m a gambler. You wouldn’t want to put your money where your mouth is would you?

Again...it’s Federal Law, the Mint doesn’t have any leeway...

• Options

You guys convinced me. The coins can't be struck and CC or O. If that is the case, then these privy marks are really just a sham to sell coins. Just strike coins at all the current mints.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Damm, sarcasm radar broken.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 5:09AM

@mrcommem said:
    You guys convinced me. The coins can't be struck and CC or O. If that is the case, then these privy marks are really just a sham to sell coins. Just strike coins at all the current mints.

I think Mint Marks jumped the shark in the 1960s when they went to the SMS sets. Since then, they created circulation cents in the 1970s at West Point but didn't add a mint mark because they didn't want people to know. More recently, they struck the No-S bullion ASEs at San Francisco because they didn't want people to buy them because they were made in San Francisco.

At some point, mint marks, or lack thereof, were decided on based on anticipated reactions from collectors, not by where they were made.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want any; don't appeal to me but.............. I fear there are going to be some disappointed folks in this one like the San Francisco Old Mint Morgan dollar .

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 5:12AM

@AlexinPA said:
    I fear there are going to be some disappointed folks in this one like the San Francisco Old Mint Morgan dollar .

Could be, but I’m hoping for good demand like the 2001 Buffalo Silver Dollar.

I think the reason the Old Mint Morgan didn’t get traction is because it shows a building on it instead of Lady Liberty, and not the production method or quality.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danno44 said:
    @mrcommem do you have any experience in what you are suggesting?
    I do and it’s not that simple.
    Can it be done? Yes. But they would have had to start the process early in 2020 to be able to be up and running to make coins this year.

Agreed. And it's not just freight. It's break down and set up. And for what purpose? To turn an $80 coin into a $200 coin that no one wants to buy.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Why not?

(Genuine question as I never buy from the mint)

• Options
    edited May 20, 2021 8:22AM

@mrcommem said:

The CC was actually a Congressional requirement to strike the PDS coins. No CC meant no 2021 Morgan or Peace from any mint.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 12:34PM

…in regards to any action of bets placed inside of this thread…I say the winners should donate their entire take to Witter Coin University for the YN’s…I can help book any such bets, just PM me ;)

Lines: Will the US Mint produce and ship any 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars in the year 2021.

Yes -200
    No +150

• Options

The mint was sold out today in 23 minutes. All 175 thousand were gone pretty quick. The have privy CC and O mint marks. If you don't like the privy mark, don't buy them. It is a commemorative to celebrate the west and the Morgan's. Price was $85 from the mint and if you want one now, the price is going through the roof.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 6:46PM

Do'h I missed out! I need to have the other ones on my calendar.

I might need to order more of the others to trade!

• Options

The prices tell the story:

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flippers will kill this one. Prices will come down just as fast as they went up.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    The flippers will kill this one. Prices will come down just as fast as they went up.

Why will flippers kill it?

With or without flippers, I'm guessing the prices will find a collector supported equiibrium.

• Options

They will start lower there price to get the cash to pay for them when it comes due.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Imagine Dahlonega, Charlotte or Manila Morgans?

With the 'irrational exuberance' in the last few of gimmicks by the USM, the ones you listed will be coming soon!

• Options

@Type2 said:
    They will start lower there price to get the cash to pay for them when it comes due.

Really? You think flippers don't have $1000 in either cash or available credit to simply sit on them for a while?

Many of these same flippers were flipping the 4 coin AGE set with an issue price if $4500

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Really? You think flippers don't have $1000 in either cash or available credit to simply sit on them for a while?

Many of these same flippers were flipping the 4 coin AGE set with an issue price if $4500

Yes. We all know YOU do....🙄

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Yes. We all know YOU do....🙄

Lol. You think I'm the only one who has $1000 in available credit on a credit card? Maybe you should start a poll. Have you noticed how many people (NOT ME) post 5 figure coins in this forum?

I know you have a problem with me, but my observation was generic. You have to have $850 in available credit to even buy 10 of these.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine (with some typical site issues). I am not a flipper, so this one stays with me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking out of COVID 19 and into VAM 21

It's got a ring to it.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:

That would make you happy maybe, but there will be others out there that may state, "what about the New Orleans and Carson City Mint...?" "We can forget them..."

In other words you can't make everybody happy, someone going to complain. So the mint made their decision, now buyers and collectors can make theirs, buy, don't buy of sit on the fence and complain.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sat this one out, really didn't think these would be worth more than issue price since there are so many, and delayed til October. Will there be 100,000+ of each mint mark morgan on ebay?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have much use for flippers. As usual there were collectors, who got kicked off the mint site, who could not get their orders executed. Supposedly, these things are scheduled to be shipped in October. That is a pretty long lead time for these secondary market sellers.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I don't have much use for flippers. As usual there were collectors, who got kicked off the mint site, who could not get their orders executed. Supposedly, these things are scheduled to be shipped in October. That is a pretty long lead time for these secondary market sellers.

Some are saying when checking out yesterday the projected ship date was June but the product page is still saying October. Will be interesting to see which one is correct🤔

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Well we have time to see what will happen with this one. I know most have the money but not all have strong hands like you and others here.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file