Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very smooth PCGS submission with bonuses......

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
Sorry no rare bust quarters in this post ;)

I have been amassing a full set of mercury dimes mostly raw and then submitting them to PCGS for grading with my annual subscription renewal vouchers. The goal is to spend mostly less than $100 per coin (leaves out the 16-D) and get the best grade possible with that, and get coins that were not scrubbed or messed with. As of now I am bout 80% complete over doing this for about 6 years now. There is a particular dealer on ebay that actually lists what the surface conditions are of his raw coins with excellent images, so you know what you are getting (rare for ebay). Plus his grading is conservative and consistent with the TPG's. Imagine that. So most of the raw ones have come from him. I know what many of you are sayin', SH why waste your money on getting slabs for such cheap coins? Why not, this is supposed to be fun and this costs virtually nothing in the realm of what money is worth these days. By the time I am done, I will have a complete set sans the 16-D (will have to pony up for one at some point tho), for what I might pay for a single bust quarter and all of the mercs will have great surfaces for their grade. An inexpensive way to enjoy numismatics and frankly less than the cost of 18 holes of golf and to me, much more enjoyable...............

I should say that the whole turn around was about 3 weeks from sending it off to getting the grades, with another 2 days to ship to me and receive, using regular submission service. Wow, PCGS is back on its game.

So this time my submission got 2 bonuses, first I received them back in the 35th anniversary box in the celeste color. Celeste is a famous color in the world of bicycling, it is the signature color of Bianchi, and may a legendary pro rode celeste Bianchi bikes in the Euro pro peloton over the last century. So yes I wanted the celeste box and glad to get it!

Second perk this time, were some complementary Troo Veeoo's. Thanks PCGS! This will give me the chance to compare my imaging techniques for mercs with the best in the buisness. What a bonus if you love photographing numismatic items as I do.

So here are the TV's, I will work on the SH views when I get a chance over the next month. Enjoy these beautiful but inexpensive mercs!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Nice. I like your attitude, have fun with it.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun sets you are building!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... The Merc is a great old design. That 1938 is a real beauty...If I were GTG'ing I would say a 64. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

All regular submissions come with true views now!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins. Enjoy!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

SH, you're not actually having fun with your coins are you?

I love projects like this. I spent a summer buying Walkers on eBay.... albums, partial albums, small lots, and a few individual coins. I kept the best of each issue and have a pretty nice Dansco album now. For some dumb reason I had the keys slabbed, so now there are holes in the album, LOL.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 9:28AM

I don't know where you play golf because I could play lots of rounds for less than you are spending, lol. But you are having fun and that is the point of collecting so awesome.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

All TrueViews are complementary (to the subject coin). Yours were complimentary. ;)

Fun idea for a set, BTW.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 9:32AM

Love the approach!

Doing the same with Lincoln Cents post 1940.

My recent subs on the budget level has been averaging 4-6 weeks but have improved somewhat.

If Beckett and PSA were not literally 6 months to a year behind, I might never got back into coins this intensely.

Which is all good...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coins.

As for Golf, depending where you live and play...green fees have escalated to the point where it is just too expensive.

Not to go too far off the fairway, even bowling is alot more expense than it used to be.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 9:47AM

I really like your angle here. Sounds like you're having a total blast, and that's what matters. Get her done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ever do something like midnight madness like they used to have years ago? Got a lane for $10 and bowl all you can bowl from 12am - 4am!

@coinkat said:
    nice coins.

As for Golf, depending where you live and play...green fees have escalated to the point where it is just too expensive.

Not to go too far off the fairway, even bowling is alot more expense than it used to be.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I don't know where you play golf because I could play lots of rounds for less than you are spending, lol. But you are having fun and that is the point of collecting so awesome.

I meant per coin, to clarify. Yes golf ain't that expensive..... Ricko, the 39-S is a 63 but I was like you, thinking 64.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW... just checked my PSA account and they finished one order... whoo hoo

Tatis and Soto cash BABY!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection and you are paying way too much to play golf.

Vplite99
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    FWIW... just checked my PSA account and they finished one order... whoo hoo

Tatis and Soto cash BABY!

"A finished PSA order" is something I haven't heard in a very, very long time. :'(
    Congratulations!

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I love the 38 s to

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowling is fun... wish I bowled more. I do remember midnight madness...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file