Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exciting Newp for me - Gold Lincoln

SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2, 2021 4:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This token has been researched and written about by our own @CaptHenway (see link) ... and he was gracious enough to check out these pics and confirm for me that it is indeed an original, and not a restrike/copy. His name is on the slab after all .... confirmation straight from the source! Another reason why this forum is so cool. ⭐️

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/952143/doing-research-on-struck-copies-of-thomas-elder-small-gold-lincoln-medals

I have been searching for something interesting Lincoln-related for my Box of 20. So I considered some nice Lincoln cents, various medals and tokens. No shortage of Lincoln items to ponder...

Despite its small size, this piece really caught my eye for its simple yet elegant design, and the fact that it’s gold and closing in on its 100 year anniversary. And it happens to be the Top Pop of only six graded by PCGS - there are also three 62’s and two 65’s.

I usually don’t post before it’s in-hand (knock wood)— but what the heck it’s Sunday and I enjoyed a couple of whiskey drams, so here we are..... Always fun to share with you fellow coin heads. 🥃

Comments

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks pretty neat, usually you think of copper when it comes to Lincoln but this the Lincoln is minted in gold 👍

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whiskey posting is the best posting!

Somewhere above drunken ebay bidding and seeing what comes in the mail next week.

That's a nice gold Abe, I will have to consult my Cunningham book on that one.
    That's a keeper, good haul.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

A perfect item for a box of 20-it certainly fits the concept!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one, no doubt that it is a token.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty sweet, smooth, and has a mellow after bite ;)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like you said, a simple yet elegant design.
    Congrats!
    Now what else is in your Box of 20?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited May 2, 2021 6:59PM

@DCW said:
    Congrats!

As it stands now, these are the other 19:

6 Morgan’s, toners and DMPL’s
    1 Trade Dollar toner
    1 SC$ toner
    1 Classic Commem Half toner
    1 CBH toner
    1 Barber Quarter toner
    1 Washie Quarter toner
    1 Hawaiian Quarter (my avatar)
    1 Merc toner
    1 Proof Seated Dime toner
    1 $10 Eagle
    1 $2.5 Indian
    1 $2.5 Coronet
    1 1/3 Gold Guinea (Eliasberg)

I’ve got lots of other pieces, but these 20 are my current favorites in terms of eye appeal and variety...hence the Box of 20.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good one.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn something new every day. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@DCW said:
    Congrats!

As it stands now, these are the other 19:

6 Morgan’s, toners and DMPL’s
    1 Trade Dollar toner
    1 SC$ toner
    1 Classic Commem Half toner
    1 CBH toner
    1 Barber Quarter toner
    1 Washie Quarter toner
    1 Hawaiian Quarter (my avatar)
    1 Merc toner
    1 Proof Seated Dime toner
    1 $10 Eagle
    1 $2.5 Indian
    1 $2.5 Coronet
    1 1/3 Gold Guinea (Eliasberg)

I’ve got lots of other pieces, but these 20 are my current favorites in terms of eye appeal and variety...hence the Box of 20.

Nice example, should fit perfect into your box of 20

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very attractive piece of Lincolniana.... According to the old thread it seems to be about 14 kt.... Is this correct? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool addition - and thanks for referencing the earlier thread - interesting read. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is a very attractive piece of Lincolniana.... According to the old thread it seems to be about 14 kt.... Is this correct? Cheers, RickO

18kt

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

A serious question.....in the book I am writing about the cents struck in Denver in 1922, there will be some new varieties listed by DeLorey numbers. What should I do to distinguish them from the Elder DeLorey numbers? Start at #201? Or #1001?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway I like the idea of starting at 201 better — just my .02

• Options

Just had a thought...start at 2201 to emphasize that this is a 1922 cent. What do you think?

• Options

@CaptHenway that’s a fitting idea too 👍🏻

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of the re-strikes... Mine is 14K

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2021 7:18AM

@asheland said:

Edited to say: Yes, this is the Restrike. I did not know that they were certifying them as such.
    TD

• Options

@CaptHenway is it not the re-strike?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coolness.

Learned something new today.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@asheland said:

Yes it is, and I have edited my comment.
    TD

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@asheland said:

Yes it is, and I have edited my comment.
    TD

Ah! Cool. :)
    I wasn't aware of these medals until this one walked into the shop I work at.
    Where I usually prefer the originals, I found this example pleasing...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    A serious question.....in the book I am writing about the cents struck in Denver in 1922, there will be some new varieties listed by DeLorey numbers. What should I do to distinguish them from the Elder DeLorey numbers? Start at #201? Or #1001?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just put an "N" in front of them.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@CaptHenway said:

Just put an "N" in front of them.

Pete

"N" for???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file