Home Metal Detecting

"you have no marble"

Comments

• KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I show you mine, show me yours.

the bottom front left ..... RickO. Very nice stash.

• spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 10:44PM

I think they are small works of art. In my mind I am asking myself how did they make this marble. I find them beautiful.

Coin Junky...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spirityoda1 .... That is a real beauty... a modern art marble. Cheers, RickO

Thank you.

Coin Junky...

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I sometimes find an old marble while digging a coin, never have found a clay one though. The ones I remember best from childhood in the late 1960s were milk glass with a red or green swirl.

I remember marbles when I was 7 years old. I think they called them "cats eyes" ???

Coin Junky...

@spirityoda1....Yes, Cats Eye marbles are modern... not part of the collectible segment.... mass produced in Mexico and elsewhere....Cheers, RickO

@ricko Can we see more pics of your marbles collection.

Coin Junky...

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've dug a lot of clay marbles, many have a blue or brown glaze. Also dug glass akro agates, which have a nice swirl to them. Always a nice find. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Roy post pics of these marbles I would like to see them.

Coin Junky...

edited April 15, 2021 8:40AM

@ricko 2nd marble bought off Etsy for $51. Amazing colors. Looks like a planet...

Coin Junky...

@spirityoda1.... I will try to get another picture of other old marbles later....Cheers, RickO

:)

Coin Junky...

@spirityoda1 Well, finding my marble hoard was easier than I thought. All these marbles were dug by me in Pa, NJ and a few in Bklyn NY over the course of 25+ years. The medium clear with white swirls glass one below the huge blue guy is European. The rest are clay, porcelain, Benningtons, fancy Benningtons etc. Are you a marble collector? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 I just started collecting marbles 2 days ago. Your collection looks nice. I like this 1 in your collection...

Coin Junky...

Yup, that's a German. I love to detect old stone foundations. Google shall give lead you in the right direction. Good luck. Peace Roy

@Namvet69 ... Nice old marbles... That German Swirl is nice, they made some interesting marbles. Cheers, RickO

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found in the dirt while picking up walnuts

I metal detect and I am always checking fresh dirt for treasures. My favorite are the old kids toys like marbles, army men, cars, jacks. I have an odd collection of ground finds. I buy and sell collectibles on Ebay. But I have never sold something I found, those are my treasures. Thanks for all the pictures, I like to look and learn.

edited April 16, 2021 6:40PM

@ricko created a marble collector monster in me. lol just kidding, but I can see the beauty in these modern marbles. I need to slow down on my buying them lol It's cutting into my coin buying money. ha ha ha. Next pay check I will buy a marble display stand like yours. :)

Coin Junky...

After looking on Etsy and Ebay for marbles I noticed some huge price tags on some very beautiful marbles that are way out of my reach money wise. lol I think I will stick to the $50-100 dollars a glass marble level. B)

Coin Junky...

@spirityoda1 do some sleuthing to find a local glass blower, cause that's where you'll get nice glass marbles before they end up in a gift shop or gallery and overpriced. Peace Roy

Good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Coin Junky...

edited April 16, 2021 9:15PM

@ricko yea right me wait until next payday Ha! Nope.... got it... Thanks stimulus check....

Coin Junky...

Waiting until marbles to get to me to post new pics of marbles in the display holder.

Coin Junky...

edited April 18, 2021 10:33PM

I just won the high bid on this 1 on Ebay...Tammie Tanner 1.68" Glass Marble (Orange Blue Vortex) It sure draws your eyes to the center...

Coin Junky...

• Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Amazing.
    I guess that the Hipsters would call them Trippy.
    I found a lot while roto tilling and using a bulb planter to make a hole for plants.
    Nothing super fantastic but very pleasing to the eye.
    I store them in glass cigar tubes that a friend saves for me.

@spirityoda1 Nice, signed is good. Reminds me of a guy I knew who was making killer marbles in Marin Co. back in the 70's in Larkspur Calif. Steve Maslach had a studio in an industrial park. Nice guy, very talented. I wonder if he's still around. Peace Roy

That is really nice.... Those art marbles are amazing. Some very talented people making them. Cheers, RickO

Later I will want to buy vintage marbles. I have my eye on some vintage Geman marbles. Are there any others vintage marbles that I should know about ?? I probably will buy a book on Vintage and contemporary marbles.

Coin Junky...

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

You marble guys need to put a strobe light warning before you post pics.
    They are the best eye catch I've ever felt.
    Love the burst of color with a touch of glass,
    Do they roll true?

@emeraldATV... Most art marbles are perfect spheres and roll true... not that you want to do that...it will scratch the perfect surfaces. Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many nice marbles my brother and I shot with our wrist rockets at crows back in the day.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the colored marbles

@emeraldATV yup they roll perfectly. Looks perfectly round.

Coin Junky...

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited April 20, 2021 11:34PM

Well I just made my 1st rookie mistake on the marble display case. Got it in the mail and it is for** small size marbles**. Dohhhhh!!! oh well I will get some small marbles too.

Coin Junky...

edited April 21, 2021 11:05AM

I might get just stands for the 1 1/2- 2 inch art marbles.

Coin Junky...

@spirityoda1 A less expensive display is a flat wood rack. You can make it any size with trim wood as marble shelves. Google shall guide you. Peace Roy

@Jimnight... Do you have more pictures of the marble in the upper left corner (as viewed)? Cheers, RickO

@ricko

@Jimnight .... Interesting.... Is it a new art marble? Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @Jimnight .... Interesting.... Is it a new art marble? Cheers, RickO

No ... I've had it for 50+ years.

@Jimnight.... Interesting... What is the diameter? I am asking because if it is even older than fifty years, and the right diameter, it could be a Christensen cobra. Cheers, RickO

@ricko ... I get 1.145". I didn't know marbles had names.

@Jimnight.... Yes, particularly the old ones. There are Guineas, Cobras, Ox blood, swirls and many others... New ones that are popular are Cats Eyes.... I do think that is an old one, it has some air bubbles as well, another indicator. A tad larger than I expected, but still possible. Very nice. Cheers, RickO