Comments

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

Is it valuable ???

Coin Junky...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @spirityoda1 Well, finding my marble hoard was easier than I thought. All these marbles were dug by me in Pa, NJ and a few in Bklyn NY over the course of 25+ years. The medium clear with white swirls glass one below the huge blue guy is European. The rest are clay, porcelain, Benningtons, fancy Benningtons etc. Are you a marble collector? Peace Roy

Totally amazing Roy. Great collection!

• Options

@spirityoda1

The marbles you purchased are gorgeous! Great start.

• Options

@ricko ... In my day I remember it being called a Kroaker ( not sure if that spelling is correct ).
    Did you ever hear of that name?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight... Yes, we called the large marbles 'croakers'...not sure where the term originated, but we used them to blast marbles out of a circle and we would then win those marbles from our opponent. Danger was, if not done well, the croaker could stay in the circle and be lost. Yours does not look like it was ever used in marble games... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And in my neighborhood in Bklyn, we called them killers. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 .... Yep... Heard that term as well... By the way, I was born in Brooklyn, but we moved north when I was about a year old or so...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko I knew I liked you for some reason. Yup born in Sheepshead Bay, grew up in the projects in East New York. That's how I acquired my third eye. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I bought this holder...

These are the sellers pics...the marbles are not mine.

Coin Junky...

• Options

and I bought this display for the biggest marbles...

Coin Junky...

• Options

@spirityoda1.... Nice display containers... Just like mine with the Guineas and Cobras. Now fill them up... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@spirityoda1 me thinks BU and mint state also applies to marbles. Good luck. Peace Roy

• Options

Oh I will fill them up , but I want to slow down on buying marbles. Coins first. Can you recommend a good modern book on marbles ? I will be buying different types as well. When buying say German vintage is condition everything ? Are certain names more desirable than others ? It will sound stupid, but when collecting marbles is beauty in the eye of the beholder (me) ?? Is there a marble forum ??

Coin Junky...

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 10:44AM

@ricko I am still waiting for more pics of your collection... Are your displayed marbles worth $500+ each ? How long have you collected marbles ?

Coin Junky...

• Options

@ricko nice marbles, is that a sulfide in the upper right? Peace Roy

• Options

If we are looking at the same one, it is a wire pull. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 10:49PM

Nice collection. I really like these...

They look like German vintage ? and that orange ,yellow and black also gets my attention too. The 1 above the orange, yellow , black 1 is that considered an onion skin type?. still learning here.

Coin Junky...

• Options

Just now bought my 1st vintage German marble...Early ONIONSKIN EOD Divided Core MULTI COLOR CAGE Marbles German .59" sellers pics...

Coin Junky...

• Options

Yep, German swirls, Onionskins... Lots of names for the old marbles...I spent a lot of years getting them...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I bought this Vintage Wet Mint Akro Agate UV Carnelian Marble 1/2" Reds Orange off Ebay. sellers pics...

Coin Junky...

• Options

Coin Junky...

• Options

amazing colors

Coin Junky...

• Options

Just bought this 1 off Ebay and it is now the king of my vintage marbles. Amazing condition. Antique Rare German Handmade Swirl Marble Over 1.41” Very Nice. Sellers pics...

Coin Junky...

• Options

@spirityoda1 .... Nice swirl and carnelian.... Looks as if you are catching 'marble fever'.... Not a bad thing at all. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 8:33AM

yup lol

Coin Junky...

• Options

@ricko Tell me more about this 1 of yours...

Coin Junky...

• Options

@spirityoda1 ... That is a 7/8 inch Fire marble.... Got that years ago. Nice colors.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 11:02AM

@ricko I really like that 1 is it a certain name brand ? or maker ?

Coin Junky...

• Options
  • Options

ok thanks for the links.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 4:53PM

Got this cats eye glass fibers off Etsy... it was cheap.

Coin Junky...

• Options

Looks like it was part of a necklace or bracelet... I have a large, green, fiber optic marble... They are really nice. Cheers, RickO

• Options

My German vintage blue and white swirl was not cheap $85. I will enjoy it for many many years to come.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife is an avid sea glass collector and we went to the beach yesterday and found these 3 sea glass marbles ...

• Options

Very cool, it's been quite a while since I dug a sea marble on the beach. Peace Roy

• Options

Very nice... Will make nice additions to her sea glass collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Great thread everyone! @ricko You have a great collection of Christensen's, some absolute killers in there! I will share a few of my keepers with you guys when I get a chance.

Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options

@RunnersDad .... I look forward to seeing your prizes.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of marbles that [believe it or not] I found while detecting.

Lucky finds, they just happened to be in a hole that I dug for a coin.

I'll try to remember to take a picture

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt ... Look forward to your pictures.... If all in one hole, probably the result of a game that was abandoned....and not revisited. I forget the name of the game, but we would play that (among others) when I was a kid. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 22, 2021 10:17AM

@ricko

as requested, I hope this works:

as I have them displayed:

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited July 22, 2021 10:18AM

next:

the small bunch above

and yes, the top left one is flat on the bottom.
    So, maybe not a marble?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

The large bunch:

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

and close up of the brown ones, plus the decorated ones

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited July 22, 2021 10:22AM

Note:
    All found over the course of several years detecting at school yards, obviously found in holes with coins in them.

Any comments appreciated.
    I was told that the brown ones above are old, and hand made.

Any ideas of value would be appreciated.

And identifications, also appreciated.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt .... The brown ones are called 'Benningtons' and are made of clay.... Yes, definitely old. The ones next to them are called Cats Eyes...and are modern, common now. You do have several older marbles. The one with the flat bottom is used in aquariums or flower displays....not a marble. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Treashunt .... The brown ones are called 'Benningtons' and are made of clay.... Yes, definitely old. The ones next to them are called Cats Eyes...and are modern, common now. You do have several older marbles. The one with the flat bottom is used in aquariums or flower displays....not a marble. Cheers, RickO

Thanks, Rick.

Any idea of value?

I like to notate stuff for my kids if anything happens to me.

:)

Not that I intend on going for a long time.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt.... I have not dabbled in the marble market for several years now. So I really could not give you accurate figures. Check ebay.... finished sales, not posted prices. These change due to collector interests, but generally speaking, a reasonable estimate can be made. Cheers, RickO