Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kind of Grungy Girl for the Group

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

You, know, if I change the capitalization, that could be a different kind of GTG (Grungy girl for The Group) :D

Happy Friday! I just love when the mailman comes on Fridays.

Actually, today was kind of interesting in that I was home, and it was my regular mailman … and we talked about fishing and kayaks for 20 minutes.

I think some of you know I have a couple afflictions that are hard to ignore. One is I have a hard time not doing a double take on the kind of grungy bohemian, original, not quite perfect but still beautiful in their own way ... Bust Halves. I also have a thing for overdates, and other interesting anomalies.

Anyway, I did a double take on this girl a couple months. That back and forth thing many of us probably do … yeah … not today … maybe … yeah … hmmm … maybe … yeah … hmmm.

And then, I woke up one day and she was still there … and I finally decided, yeah, let’s see if I get her to come over here.

Glad I decided to … as she has wonderful luster and color that gives her a nice “swirl” in hand. Her grime and marks are not distracting to me at all.

Feel free to guess the grade or post your own grungy ones. And have a great weekend!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, is that an 1818/7? AU-53?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original coin. Thankfully no one has tried to "improve" it by cleaning.

All glory is fleeting.
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

original

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin! I've always liked the "ears" on the 8 of this overdate.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 1811 @ThreeCentSilverFL

Yes @relicsncoins , it's an 18/17, Small 8 variety. This one is the later die state (O-102a) of that marriage, with the die break in the upper loop of the second 8. The "Small 8" refers to the first 8 in the date, with the other two 18/17 overdates having a quite large first 8.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:

That's an interesting way to describe them. Not sure why, but probably because they are pointed, I've always seen them as "horns" >:)

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple of real beauties there. I don't consider their condition as grungy but au natural' Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

@kaz said:

That's an interesting way to describe them. Not sure why, but probably because they are pointed, I've always seen them as "horns" >:)

For sure, a devilish overdate to find nice.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, original example of one of the tougher overdates for 1818.

Congrats on another great addition to your amazing set!

Dave

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2021 9:39PM

Nice original, surfaces on that old gal.

A lot of detail, as well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice of you to give shelter to the grungy girl.... They all need love.... Cheers, RickO

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! A “devilish” new piece! Don’t you also love the quirky spacing of the first 1 in the date?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats cool to see, i like

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file