Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm I allowed to call this coin a "HALF MONSTER"?Submission Results!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2021 2:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, feast your eyes on this creature of Beauty I bought today! Mannn. I couldn't believe it when I seen it. Lol. There's so many things great about this purchase.
1. The Obvious
2. The fact that it was still available
3. The YEAR!
4. The Price
5. That it's still in fantastic condition

Half of a Monster? Need better pics

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, joeykoins.
    You have a really keen eye.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, call it what you want

AT on reverse

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

problem coin
    unfortunately

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT ... Nice colors.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

One ounce of silver. A toning attempt gone bad.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Thanks guys. :)

Um, here is a more appropriate graphic . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's so bad. The obverse is unfortunately dipped. I think the reverse is not MA, but it's probably "natural". I've seen Eagles do that when they are in cheap cardboard holders.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now here’s a REAL “Monster” coin (from LimitedMintage.com):
    https://limitedmintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Frankenstein-Obverse-White.jpg

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
    edited April 7, 2021 7:38PM

I appreciate all the replies guys, believe me, I really do. But, I have to disagree with all the ones that has this coin either cleaned, dipped or even altered in any way. I think this coin is the REAL DEAL. Two of my best dealer friends brought me to the attention of this toned Eagle. Knowing, I admire these type of toners. I seriously don't think they'd stir me wrong? If you can only see this coin in hand? I might even send it in? I took much better photos. See if you can see a difference than my first pics? Thanks guys.

I do see a fingerprint @7:30. On the reverse

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey, you need to find some new Dealer friends. That is junk AT and poorly done. I had an extensive toned ASE collection before EDM started mass producing them. I know toned ASE's. Listen to what the crowd is telling you.
    '

edited April 7, 2021 8:24PM

ok :)
    Is this one altered too? Pretty similar I think?

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    ok :)
    Is this one altered too? Pretty similar I think?

Given than neither the colors nor patterns are the same between the two coins, I’d say no, those aren’t pretty similar.

On the new coin, AT or NT, I think the reverse colors are attractive, but between the fingerprint there and an obverse that is, nicely put, unattractive, I’m not a fan of the coin.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 10:57PM

Anyone Questioning?

Question Answered

Another One of Mine

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to tell you, when I saw the thread title and then the obverse of the coin, I sure thought there was something wrong with the Walker, especially with the clue about the date.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the right photography, the OP's eagle would be considered quite an amazing find (IMHO).

peacockcoins

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

The coin definitely looks better in the second set of photos. It is a crap shoot whether it would straight grade or not.

Even if it isn't graded, there is a good market for toned Eagles. I had one that was plain ugly. I would have sold it for less than spot so I put it on eBay at auction starting at 99 cents and it sold for a fair premium. And I had some nice looking raw toned Eagles similar to yours and I sold them for double what untoned Eagles were selling for.

• A nice coin! I don't agree with it being not MA and I think you have a decent shot at it straight grading. Oddly enough I think it's the obverse that if anything might prevent it from grading, not the colorful reverse. Best of luck!

@braddick said:
    With the right photography, the OP's eagle would be considered quite an amazing find (IMHO).

Yes. You hit the nail on the head! If only I had the materials and expertise in photography, You all can SEE what I SEE.
    Thanks ;)

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why ask if you don’t want to hear folks opinions. Regardless, what are we talking hunks of colored bullion? 😆

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

@stman said:

Why ask if you don’t want to hear folks opinions.

No, I love all your opinions. Just because I might disagree doesn't mean I don't want to hear your opinions. Could there be a possibility that they can be wrong? or No? Just my opinion too. Thanks :)

edited April 8, 2021 8:28PM

If one really want to check out some wild, crazy and Monstrous color Eagles, that passed the questionable color stage. Check out all the PCGS, 1995 Eagles True View photo's in the grid. Many questionable even to my standards. Lol.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough. I know you’re having fun and that’s great.

These things tone different than regular 90% silver. Up to you but I would be training my eye to get used to how the old classics, Morgan’s etc. tone and what’s normal looking for different series. Carry on. 👍

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    @stman said:

Why ask if you don’t want to hear folks opinions.

No, I love all your opinions. Just because I might disagree doesn't mean I don't want to hear your opinions. Could there be a possibility that they can be wrong? or No? Just my opinion too. Thanks :)

When a collector disagrees with an opinion stated here, it doesn't mean he didn't completely consider that opposing opinion.
    Certainly, no one here expects anyone to substitute their own judgment for yours?

peacockcoins

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 1:09PM

I think the reverse looks very pretty and NT but the obverse is a major distraction. It looks neither natural nor attractive. I have no idea if it would straight grade but I don’t think it would matter much for the value. The coin would sell for a premium raw but unless the obverse can be conserved back to blast white I don’t see much more than $100.

edited April 8, 2021 2:04PM

For what it's worth

The Fingerprints were removed with acetone but other issue, scratches. Other than that. Pretty clear of any real obvious hits. Still considering to send in. Regardless of maybe receiving a "Scratches" designation.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sending in a coin you expect to get a details grade is only worthwhile if the authenticity needs to be verified. Otherwise, you are just lighting $40 on fire.

@david3142 said:
    Sending in a coin you expect to get a details grade is only worthwhile if the authenticity needs to be verified.

Correct, this is my hope and worse case scenario outcome. ;)

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people seem to forget that ASE'S arent regular 90% silver coins there 99% so they can get a little crazy just saying....

edited April 8, 2021 2:26PM

@ike126 said:
    A lot of people seem to forget that ASE'S arent regular 90% silver coins there 99% so they can get a little crazy just saying....

Yes, good point dude. Lol. Silver Eagles are probably the only USA coin that contains the closest to pure silver? So, your point, the more silver, the more chance to tone crazy. Thanks buddy. ;)

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

98% AT

2% NT

not a coin i'd gamble on sending in as the odds are not in your favor

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is naturally toned. I will back that up with money. PM me if you want to sell it. I am sure it would not bag for questionable color. Great find.

Many of the users here have never seen originally toned silver eagles. They're still a relatively new phenomenon. The only bad thing about this one is the good color is on the reverse.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@DelawareDoons said:
    It is naturally toned. I will back that up with money.

Wow, thank you for seeing what I see! Even though, the coin is not in your actual hand. Lol. Thanks for the offer but you know my answer. You just REALLY boosted my confidence now.
    Sorry guys,
    if I were leaning on your sides, just a tad. All your suggestions would have boosted my confidence in your direction just as DelawareDoons had boosted mine. :D

edited May 18, 2021 2:55PM

It Made It!

Along with my 1991

Low grade, but I don't care. :)<3

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Here is the reason, I'm guessing, for the low ms 64 grade?

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Looks like your buddies steered you right.

Yes, it made the cut.
    9 believed it wouldn't make it.
    Thank You, PCGS. ;)

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, it made the cut.
    9 believed it wouldn't make it.
    Thank You, PCGS. ;)

Told you it was fine.

Grade is only mildly relevant. It's in a PCGS holder. It's worth good money.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file