Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bill McKivor passed away

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just learned he passed away last week. I bought my first conder token from him. A clever writer and overall an entertaining and knowledgeable man. I enjoyed our phone calls and written correspondence. He was patient with me while I was getting my feet wet

RIP sir

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Aww, how sad. Bill was a great guy, and very knowledgeable about Conder Tokens, among other things. He will be missed :'(

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry you lost a friend, Mark. I did not know him, but he sounds like the kind of dealer desperately needed for today's new collectors.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received an email notifying me about Bill. Very sad.....rip Bill. My last few Conder tokens were from him.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know Mr. McKivor, but I am sorry for your loss. I took a quick look at his website and he seemed like a terrific person.

My condolences to you, his family and friends.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Always difficult. And condolences to his family.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

My deepest sympathies.

Prayers to his family and friends.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for the knowledge lost to the hobby, the friends who lost their buddy to share it with and the family who lost the man who held the stories. My Condolences

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to Mr. McKivor's family and friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great guy.
    RIP sir

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad for his family and friends.

Another void created in the hobby.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of him, to be honest, but it is good to see that a dedicated numismatist is being honored and missed.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 6:15PM

He was my introduction to Conders as well (edit to add - so was Conder101). He was free with his knowledge and a great ambassador for the hobby.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved his writings on Conders. RIP.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sympathy to his family and friends.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 7:06PM

@Justacommeman
    I did not know him, but since reading your post, I've got to 'know' him through the internet.
    Condolences,

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in Seattle for a New York minute. Thats where he resided. I should have taken more advantage of that. Quite a character and a real gentleman. He lived and breathed Conder tokens. He loved his buying pilgrimages to the UK to re stock his inventory.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know the man, but condolences to his family, friends, and associates.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Traveling to the UK on a treasure hunt, man that must’ve been a real gas!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this.
    Bill set up at all the shows here by me. He was always so passionate about his work and was always very generous with his time.
    My condolences to his family and friends.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2021 5:33AM

RIP. Discussed medals with him at the PNNA, he was very knowledgeable in so many areas.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to the family and friends. RIP

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 6:40AM

Here's Bill's auto-biography:

http://www.thecoppercorner.com/bill.html

About Bill McKivor

Hi, friends — welcome to my web site!

Just so you know who is responsible for it, I shall tell you a bit about myself. I'm a history buff — came close to teaching history as a profession, went into radio communications, but wound up in the newspaper business — from which I'm retired. I started my collector-based business a few years ago, selling British tokens by mail. The history of the tokens proved so fascinating to me that I sold my coin collections and began collecting the tokens, as well as items from the American Colonial period. My business is an extension of my collecting interests, and I do my best to both buy and sell only what I like, which better serves my customers — both in quality of the merchandise, and fairness in the price. Born in 1940, I have been collecting for over 50 years. I am married, and my wife, June, and I have two daughters and one granddaughter. We have lived in Seattle, Washington all our lives.

I am a member of the ANA, EAC, C4, TAMS, and the Seattle Numismatic Society and the King County Coin Club. I am also on the board of directors of the Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association (PNNA).

The better looking one in the photo above is my FX3 London Taxi — for more taxis and vehicles, see "Bill's Taxis and Cars" page.

Enjoy the web site — as one who is "technologically challenged" it is a learning process for me — and I thank all the friends who have helped me get this far with it. Hopefully, as time passes, I will become more familiar with the process — and the site will expand with that knowledge.

Thanks for looking! — Bill

• Options
    Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

:'(

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear.. condolences...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always sad to see someone go that was so passionate in life. RIP

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:
    A gentleman and scholar, will be much missed. My most treasured Conder from Bill is this one:

That piece is magnificent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file