Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

2014-W Kennedy Gold stands in My way...and other Set Registry discrepancies (2 Fixed)

JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2022 12:23AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

I am trying without success to understand the two points outlined below...

1) The US Mint creates Proof Sets every year...some in Clad and some in Silver..as well as other issues

I have trouble understanding the inclusion of the 2014-W Kennedy Gold coin...because it was never included in any US Mint Proof Set

Since I only prefer to collect what I considered to be US Mint Proof Sets (in both clad and silver) and do not wish or care to collect gold coins...I cannot complete several Proof Sets because the 2014-W Kennedy Gold coin has been included

I fail to conclude with any logical reason for this coin to be a part of any Proof Set...since it is not a part of a US Mint issued Proof Set...The US Mint issues many different coins throughout each year and has done so for decades...not including them as part of the yearly Proof Sets

This one single coin is standing in the way of 100% completion for several of My Proof Sets...but only should belong in Kennedy Variety Sets

If the 2014-W Kennedy Gold truly belongs...why don't the other coins issued by the US Mint that are not part of the Proof Sets for the year get included too? The Commemoratives and the Medal coins are US Mint issues...but are not included in Proof Sets...as are the numerous specialty coins issued by the US Mint

Removing the 2014-W Kennedy Gold from Proof Sets won't hurt the Old Guard set owners at the top of those Set Rankings...but it would give those collectors who yearn to complete the true and logical Proof Sets an opportunity to rise in the rankings

2) I also believe that new year issues should result in immediate Proof Set creations...and filling those slots throughout the year should count toward Completion and Ranking...so newer collectors have a small window of opportunity to climb the rankings...even if only for a short time until the Old Guard collections at the top of every list get around to upgrading...prior to the 30-day window before Awards Deadline

Why is this important?

For a very short time earlier this year...specifically on February 8, ,2020...I was ranked Number One in a specific Proof Set...because I requested a New Slot for the 2018 North American $1 Reverse Proof (and for nearly 200 additional slots since then)

Being able to see My username sitting all alone at #1 for that Set...after just 40 days as a member of Set Registry...was all the incentive I needed to continue My quest for 100% completion on a journey to 100% perfection - and although I was the FIRST to complete it My set has fallen down the rankings because someone (several dozen of them) began registering their collection before I did

The future of Set Registry lies with younger and newer collectors...since in time the Old Guard sets at the top will fade away as the owners pass away - but if new collectors do not see a clear path they will not bother...and Set Registry may follow the Old Guard into history

I have seen and experienced Set Leader status...a feeling of being On Top Of The World...if only for a short time

I can only hope every new collector sees that path for themselves

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your position, but here are some quick thoughts...

Is the 2014-W gold coin a half dollar??? Yes...

Is it a proof coin??? Yes...

Coins of different metals are often included in the same set... whether it is 90% silver... 40% silver... copper-nickel clad... and now .999 silver with the new silver proofs. The 2014-W is just another Kennedy of a different metal... gold.

There are many coins that are no longer part of the proof and mint sets issued by the US Mint (and I don't like this). All of the innovation dollars for example. Another example are the S-Mint quarters and the W-Mint quarters. Those are certainly part of a full set of coins in each series or a full set of US coins... doesn't matter if they are in the Mint Set... Same with some of the early Ike Dollars, they weren't in the sets from the Mint either... but certainly part of the Registry sets today.

Of course just a few things to consider and I think this is a controversial area that isn't treated the same in each series. I would think having a separate sets w/ and w/o issues like the 2014-W gold would be appropriate.

Similarly... the 2016-W gold Mercury Dime, SLQ and Walking Half could be argued to be part of the original sets by some (legally they are the same denomination and design, just a different metal composition)... but I would guess many collectors of those classic series wouldn't want to include those.

Always collect what you like... not what someone else (the Mint or PCGS) tells you what needs to be in your set... that is why I think having more set options would be the best thing here... include it for those that want to include it.

Good luck.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i had 2 - 2014-W Kennedy gold coins i bought directly from the mint, i got them both graded from the host, one come back 69 and the other 70. it took a very long time to sell them both, maybe like 3 months, both at fixed price auctions. i remember what a relief it was to sell them, now i wish i had them both back with the current price of gold

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

since the coin was sold alone, I do not feel it should be in any set

the 'same logic' would include the gold mercury, SLQ, and WLH in the 2016 sets and their respective series... are they?

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 9:51AM

@davewesen said:

the 'same logic' would include the gold mercury, SLQ, and WLH in the 2016 sets and their respective series... are they?

Perhaps as part of a Kennedy Variety Set - but any logical reason to include it in the 2014 Proof Set is something I cannot understand

Would the same logic mean that the Silver Eagles need to be part of the Proof Sets too?

edited November 20, 2020 5:58AM

PCGS advises that the Gold Kennedy is "special" by some standard...and will remain in the 2014 Proof Set

Therefore...those at PCGS who have "special" designation authority should also consider each and every commemorative and medal coin ever issued as part of that yearly Proof Set too

And the new basketball dollars need a place in the 2020 Proof Set !!

Just WHO is PCGS to decide what is special or not special with regard to US Mint coins authorized by the United States Congress? Do they have a special designation that allows them to override the US Government? Perhaps they have permission from the Universal Overlord and Galactic Supreme Court?

If it is called a Proof Set - it should follow that only coins included in the yearly Proof Set from the US Mint be included...and anything else belongs in a denomination or variety set

From 1983-1997 the US Mint issued a series known as the Prestige Proof Sets in an effort to bolster the commemorative and medal coinage

No Set Registry Proof Set between 1983-1997 contains those comm/medal coins - yet the non-inclusion of the 2014 Kennedy Gold in the US Mint 2014 Proof Set somehow qualifies it for inclusion in the Set Registry 2014 Proof Set

"It's a special coin" doesn't really explain

• @JonJet if you have questions about a set or suggestions we would encourage you to contact the Set Registry team directly at setregistry@collectors.com they also have a dedicated number which is 877-888-1318.

edited November 21, 2020 2:27PM

@PCGS_SocialMedia said:
    @JonJet if you have questions about a set or suggestions we would encourage you to contact the Set Registry team directly at setregistry@collectors.com they also have a dedicated number which is 877-888-1318.

I have submitted My concerns...with little to no valid answers or explanations other than rejection

I'll continue to point out flaws and errors where coin slots have been added/refused so the PCGS Membership can make up there own minds - as You may see from earlier posts by others...I am not alone in this quest for equal treatment

Here's another bit of Proof Set history...

In 1971 and 1972...the US Mint Proof Sets were 5 coins

In 1973...the US Mint added the Eisenhauer Dollar to the Proof Set

Why are the 1971/1972 Eisenhauer Dollars required? They were NOT part of the US Mint-issued Proof Set!

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were Eisenhower proofs sold by the Mint in 1971?

If the answer is yes, then they need to be included in the Registry set composition that is for all US proofs minted in 1971.

How the proof coins were sold individually, in 2 coin, or 5 coin sets, etc. is irrelevant.

edited November 23, 2020 7:01PM

@Goldminers said:
    Were Eisenhower proofs sold by the Mint in 1971?

If the answer is yes, then they need to be included in the Registry set composition that is for all US proofs minted in 1971.

How the proof coins were sold individually, in 2 coin, or 5 coin sets, etc. is irrelevant.

OK...so using Your reasoning...all the proof coins minted during the year should be part of the Proof Set?

What about the Silver Eagles? They are Proof coins

Point is...the 71 and 72 Eisenhauer's were NOT part of the US Mint's Proof Set...starting in 1973 they were included

Silver eagles are considered by most to be a bullion coin, compared to the Eisenhower series.

Totally agree with you the 71-72 Eisenhower's were not sold as a Proof set. but they are considered 1971 proof coins by convention. I am simply trying to explain to you why they are included in the 1971 proof registry set. There was a reason for doing it.

Maybe there could be a new Registry set created that meets your specific criteria of just "as issued" proof sets, but there seem to be a lot of sets to manage for modern proofs already.

edited November 24, 2020 11:46PM

@Goldminers said:
    Silver eagles are considered by most to be a bullion coin, compared to the Eisenhower series.

Totally agree with you the 71-72 Eisenhower's were not sold as a Proof set. but they are considered 1971 proof coins by convention. I am simply trying to explain to you why they are included in the 1971 proof registry set. There was a reason for doing it.

Maybe there could be a new Registry set created that meets your specific criteria of just "as issued" proof sets, but there seem to be a lot of sets to manage for modern proofs already.

Most modern Set Registry Proof Sets are just fine...but there are numerous exceptions and inclusion of coins that just defy common sense

Take the 2018 Rev Proof coins...they were originally denied as New Slot Requests in a couple of Year-to-Current Proof Set collections...until I pointed out that the reason was a celebration of the 50th Anniv of the San Francisco Mint - AND the fact that the US Mint actually issued them in a Proof Set

My convention adheres to the US Mint's term - Proof Set - and the PCGS Set Registry uses the exact same terminology

It goes without saying that Set Registry should follow the US Mint issued Proof Sets

And occasionally there are comments in this and other discussions that agree...so I'm not alone

Another item regarding Set Registry denomination Proof Sets...

The denomination Proof Sets we see in Set Registry for many years have both Clad and Silver coins...dimes - quarters - halves etc etc

But the Silver Proof denomination sets only contain Silver coins...there are no Clad-only denomination Proof Sets

However...the US Mint issues both Clad Proof Sets and Silver Proof Sets ( and even included nickels and pennies to make them complete so collectors had a choice)

I am quite happy the Registry gives collectors a choice in many cases. Ever since 1971 there have been modern silver proofs and the Registry has done a great job separating them from the clads as specialty yearly proof sets by precious metal.

I have no desire to ever collect any clads which probably helps you in your quest for top sets that require them. :)

@Goldminers said:
    I am quite happy the Registry gives collectors a choice in many cases. Ever since 1971 there have been modern silver proofs and the Registry has done a great job separating them from the clads as specialty yearly proof sets by precious metal.

I have no desire to ever collect any clads which probably helps you in your quest for top sets that require them. :)

My collection has every Proof Set coin issued since 1957...regardless if it was minted in Silver - Clad - Nickel or Copper

It's simply another example of how PCGS is deviating from the options the US Mint offers collectors

And by the way...the proof sets from 1971 thru 1991 only had one year where there were silver quarters and dimes...the 1976 Bicentennials

Anyone who collects the yearly PCGS Proof Sets has no choice but to get the clad coins as well as the silver...and there is no option to collect just the silver coins that started in 1992

So if You decide to collect silver only...You are missing quite a few years and Registry options are slim-to-none without the clad coins included

As collectors of US Mint Proof Sets discover graded coins and come to PCGS.com to register them...they are going to be quite surprised at how different the Set Registry Proof Sets have become from what they may well have been collecting for decades

I am simply pointing out those differences...without ever referencing the additional variety options

edited November 29, 2020 9:34PM

Congratulations on all your collection. It is quite a lot of effort to go after all proofs, including these outliers you mention, since 1957.

In addition to the Set Registry issues above...I have noticed another discrepancy

Kennedy and Washington Proof Sets have Basic and Silver options...

But the Roosevelt Proof Sets do not

There is no option for Roosevelt Silver only...but Washington and Kennedy collections have them

Anyone else ever question this and get an honest answer?

I honestly believe there should be Clad and Silver (only) options...as that is exactly the way the US Mint marketed the Proof Sets it sold

Why should a collector be forced to buy Both Silver and Clad just to fulfill the Basic Proof Set requirements?

What should they do with the extra nickels and pennies?

Make one collection Clad - the other just for Silver - and satisfy everyone who wishes to choose

@Goldminers said:
    Congratulations on all your collection. It is quite a lot of effort to go after all proofs, including these outliers you mention, since 1957.

It's been a fun journey...started several years ago before I discovered the Set Registry

And every single coin has been purchased on eBay...many from the same PCGS Auth Dealer in California

Had I started here back then...I'd have alot more sets nearer to the top of the rankings

I just happen to be a keen observer...which is why I am pointing out differences in the logic used by PCGS to determine the content of Proof Sets - and thus far I have been greatly disappointed by the answers

edited March 20, 2021 9:25PM

@davewesen said:

Since I do not pursue coins minted prior to 1957 (My Birth Year) I am a bit out of sorts with the Merc/SLQ/WLH series

If You would care to elaborate on the specific Sets involved and the discrepancies You have noticed...please do so...

Because the more reasons we have to revisit those issues the more likely it is that it will happen

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 9:34PM

@JonJet said:
    Just WHO is PCGS to decide what is special or not special with regard to US Mint coins authorized by the United States Congress? Do they have a special designation that allows them to override the US Government? Perhaps they have permission from the Universal Overlord and Galactic Supreme Court?

It’s the PCGS Registry Set so they get to choose what goes into it. It’s fine to have a different opinion. I’d just suggest you be careful regarding your tone with our forum hosts.

Tongue-In-Cheek "tone" aside...

There are distinct differentiations in various Proof Sets that defy all logic

And the decline answers I am getting when I ask for changes do not resolve with plausible explanation

"I can't find the rule but that's how it was set up and that's how it will stay"

"It's been discussed and decided no changes will be made"

So in effect...they are recognizing My points as valid...but do not know how to implement them...or who it might offend

If the US Mint had the foresight to create options for collectors...I struggle to understand why PCGS is making such terrible choices based on the content of US Mint Proof Sets to include non-set coins and fails to provide choices for anyone who prefers Clad over Silver or vice-versa

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a hole in my set where the 2014 Gold Kennedy goes. I to don't believe our hosts should make a part of the circ. strike & proof collection. However, as I don't see PCGS changing anytime soon, I'm saving my money and watching the gold spot. It's holding me back two or three spots in the Registry

@Tom147 said:
    There is a hole in my set where the 2014 Gold Kennedy goes. I to don't believe our hosts should make a part of the circ. strike & proof collection. However, as I don't see PCGS changing anytime soon, I'm saving my money and watching the gold spot. It's holding me back two or three spots in the Registry

I have 6 Proof Sets held up by the 2014 Kennedy Gold...and it's My feeling it should only be the Kennedy collection that is affected

The more we spread the word...the more popular our sentiments will become

Greater numbers will lead to better recognition of the issue

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet said:

@davewesen said:

Since I do not pursue coins minted prior to 1957 (My Birth Year) I am a bit out of sorts with the Merc/SLQ/WLH series

If You would care to elaborate on the specific Sets involved and the discrepancies You have noticed...please do so...

Because the more reasons we have to revisit those issues the more likely it is that it will happen

the 2014-W gold Kennedy is a mint 50th anniversary issue
    the 2016-W gold Mercury, Standing Liberty, Walking Liberty are mint 100th anniversary issues

here is a link to the set registry for them - you could argue the gold Kennedy should be in this set

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/composite/6349

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet , by chance are your Registry sets under the name aj5831?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
    edited March 21, 2021 9:26PM

@winesteven said:

Nope...all under My username

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet said:

@winesteven said:

Nope...all under My username

And some nice sets may I add.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

Noticed another oddity recently...

A few eBay sellers have a habit of offering the cert number immediately after a purchase is made...

In blatant violation of the "coin in hand" understanding that most collectors follow

It's a likely possibility that a particular recently added Set and it's ATF Rankings will be adversely affected by those actions...much to the dismay of a handful of honest collectors vying for an ATF Top-5 spot over the next few days/weeks

(Just in case our Hosts read this and want details - I have seller and listing change info)

@JonJet said:
    Noticed another oddity recently...

A few eBay sellers have a habit of offering the cert number immediately after a purchase is made...

In blatant violation of the "coin in hand" understanding that most collectors follow

It's a likely possibility that a particular recently added Set and it's ATF Rankings will be adversely affected by those actions...much to the dismay of a handful of honest collectors vying for an ATF Top-5 spot over the next few days/weeks

(Just in case our Hosts read this and want details - I have seller and listing change info)

I know your pain @JonJet. :(

This is another reason that I would like to see registry sets and slot locations be determined by the time stamp and the tracking number. This gives everybody a chance at a number #1 set and #1 slot location. It is extremely hard to do when the big boys do a massive dump of coins into their registry set at once on day one availability to do so.
    >
    If we trace a coin from release to a registry set, it goes something like this:
    >
    Proof coin year 20XX minted in San Francisco Mint on the west coast.
    >
    It gets released by the mint and a dealer / buyer purchase the coins and then sends them to PCGS for grading.
    Again a west coast transaction.
    >
    PCGS grades the coins and sends them back to the dealer who submitted them.
    >
    If this dealer is located in the west coast, it takes a few days at maximum to receive them, if it is an east coast dealer, it will take up to a week or more to get the coins.
    >
    Meanwhile the west coast dealer can now list his coins up for sale on an internet site way ahead of the east coast dealer.
    >
    When the west coast dealer sell their coins, a lot of them will provide the cert# to the buyer so that they can enter it into their registry set without actually having the coin in hand. "keeps the buyer happy so he buys from them again".
    >
    This is an extreme advantage for those in the west coast areas and definitely a disadvantage for those in the east coast areas.

As dealers you know that there are people who will purchase the item at the very first listing and will pay the premium ask price.
    Wayne >:)

Kennedys are my quest...

edited March 30, 2021 3:32PM

In addition...I collected many of the 2020 coins during the year...and absently dismissed the Innovation dollars while I concentrated on other Proof Sets

The 2020 Proof Set was added just in time for the Annual Awards deadline...but had it been there 1/01/2020 like the 2019 Proof Set was...I would have likely been at the top of the ATF list for the better part of the year

Now I need to find a single coin to complete it...and having a tough time locating one in time to make the ATF Top-5 and the 2021 Annual Awards - Edited: FOUND on Amazon 3/30/2021

Lesson learned...but a hard pill to swallow - Activity alerts may have reminded Me to complete the 2020 as the coins became available...but since it was not there I just kept on keeping on with other Proof Set completions

• If a coin was sold privately or in an auction it would be a courtesy to release the coin ASAP since money has changed hands and the new buyer or winning bidder has paid for the item. A valid auction or transaction should be honored.

I just has a GREAT IDEA while reading Your comment... @WAYNEAS

How about...a PCGS Authorized Dealer in the Mid-West?

Maybe somewhere north of Texas but just south of the Canadian Border?

Perhaps somewhere in the state known for the Geographical Center of the NA Continent?

A large city perhaps...south of Winnipeg and north of Sioux Falls?

All we would need is enough shares sold to create initial investment for the Dealership !!

IPO anyone?

@JonJet said:

How about...a PCGS Authorized Dealer in the Mid-West?

Maybe just a PCGS grading house somewhere in New England. At least this way we could get the Philadelphia coins graded faster than the California people. Have you ever noticed that there are no major PCGS coin shows in the New England area?
    This would help if they did so. This would allow us to submit coins at the show for grading.

Kennedys are my quest...

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

The Kennedy Gold Half dollar is a Kennedy Half dollar. Quit whining and fork over the cash and but it.

@mrcommem said:
    The Kennedy Gold Half dollar is a Kennedy Half dollar. Quit whining and fork over the cash and but it.

Read the entire thread...and see all those that agree it's got no place other than in Kennedy Sets

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I don't see where it is any different in design than any other Kennedy Half. Only difference is that it is gold. There are other series that have different metallic compositions in the same set. This is no difference. It doesn't matter that is was not issued in a proof set, it is still a proof.

@mrcommem said:
    I don't see where it is any different in design than any other Kennedy Half. Only difference is that it is gold. There are other series that have different metallic compositions in the same set. This is no difference. It doesn't matter that is was not issued in a proof set, it is still a proof.

Nobody ever said there was a design difference...the difference is in the Proof Set created by the US Mint

Those coins IN the Proof Set must be removed from the Mint cases - then graded to become part of the Proof Set

THE 2014 GOLD COIN WAS NEVER INCLUDED IN THE PROOF SET CREATED/SOLD BY THE US MINT

It's a Kennedy - and only belongs in a Kennedy Set

If what You say is true - then the 2015-P dimes and halves should also have the accompanying Chronical coins included in the 2015 Proof Set - because they were sold together

The 90's era Proof Sets should include the Comm Coins that were included in the Prestige Proof Sets too

Why aren't the 35 years of Silver Eagles included? They are Proof - and it says $1 in the upper right corner of the label

Jon,
    If Set Registry adds the ASEs to the annual proof sets, we are all gonna go bust trying to get all the varieties in PR70 DCAM or Pr70. :o I still agree with you that the there is no rhyme or reason why one coin belongs and others do not. It reminds me of who gets the top billings in a registry set and who does not and for what reason, especially when a set has a new composition requirement. There is no consistency.
    Keep the faith.

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    Jon,
    If Set Registry adds the ASEs to the annual proof sets, we are all gonna go bust trying to get all the varieties in PR70 DCAM or Pr70. :o I still agree with you that the there is no rhyme or reason why one coin belongs and others do not. It reminds me of who gets the top billings in a registry set and who does not and for what reason, especially when a set has a new composition requirement. There is no consistency.
    Keep the faith.

And for that very reason...we need to keep this thread going to point out the wide variety of issues from one set to another and the various coins that make no sense in certain sets

I guess it pays to keep on trying...

Resolution of the Title Issue of this thread has come to pass and I now have a #1 Ranked 2014 Proof Set

@WAYNEAS Keep The Faith is an understatement, Sir !!

edited October 14, 2021 8:37AM

Even after a week...I'm the only #1-Ranked Proof Set...and Annual Awards deadline is fast approaching

Looks like an easy path to Blue Icon and Plaque unless somebody gives Me some competition

Since the title issue has been resolved...(after months of declines and finally a resolution) I haven't been updating things much here...

But the resulting 2014 Proof Set has (5) 2021 icons - all Blue

It would seem that PCGS has followed My lead so to speak...

Resolution of the Kennedy Gold issue that started this thread resulted in creation of a new 2014 Proof Set...and a re-write to the title of the existing 2014 Proof Set to add the Kennedy Gold

Now with the discovery of the 1964 Kennedy SMS they are pretty much doing the same thing...and have added new Kennedy Sets that include the 1964 SMS - I would expect the older Sets to have the slot removed...again giving collectors a choice and a possible completed Set

It takes time...but dedication and references do yield results - even if they seem to take forever

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 7:43AM

Boys and girls- just remember what Justhavingfun (RIP) told us all right here on this message board around 7 or 8 years ago…

Justhavingfun on Building A Great Collection:

“My #1 piece of advice is burning passion. You have to really, really want to do it.

2, is if you want to build a great collection -- of any type of coin -- you have to focus and become single-minded about it. If you want to build a great US Philipines collection then focus on that, and stop collecting Jefferson nickels, Barber dimes or whatever. Focus. When I was collecting Standing Liberty Quarters, I was a fanatic Standing Liberty Quarter collector.
    3, swing for the fences. Don't be afraid to go out on a limb and swing for the fences.
    4. The other side of swinging for fences is that you have to accept lots of mistakes along the road. I made a zillion along the way ... including paying $1,400 for a bogus 1906-S peso which was a major ouchie. But that's part of the process of learning and building a great collection.
    5. Ignore the Registry Set. Collect what's interesting to yourself, not what the power-that-be at PCGS tell you to collect.
    And most of all, have fun doing what you're doing, because that way, it self reinforces. Which is what I've been doing -- I'm just having fun, and tons of it.

Best wishes!”

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited October 20, 2021 11:54AM

@Goldminers said:
    Silver eagles are considered by most to be a bullion coin

This is a bit late...but a recent realization makes Me post...

If in fact the ASE is considered a "bullion coin"...why is there a value printed by PCGS on the label in the upper right corner?

I have purchased Silver Bullion in one-ounce coins...but not one of them has a printed value like the ASE does on the reverse side - stamped into the coin by none less than the US Mint

edited October 20, 2021 1:18PM

@JonJet said:

@Goldminers said:
    Silver eagles are considered by most to be a bullion coin

This is a bit late...but a recent realization makes Me post...

If in fact the ASE is considered a "bullion coin"...why is there a value printed by PCGS on the label in the upper right corner?

I have purchased Silver Bullion in one-ounce coins...but not one of them has a printed value like the ASE does on the reverse side - stamped into the coin by none less than the US Mint

Basically the "real bullion version" does not have a Mint Mark. The other bullion coin versions sold by the Mint to regular customers, not bullion dealers, do have a Mint Mark. All versions state one dollar and all have one ounce of silver bullion. Trying to distinguish anything meaningful between the two as something to revise is a complete waste of time.

Also From Wikipedia:

American Silver Eagle
    The American Silver Eagle is the official silver bullion coin of the United States. It was first released by the United States Mint on November 24, 1986. It is struck only in the one-troy ounce, which has a nominal face value of one dollar and is guaranteed to contain one troy ounce of 99.9% pure silver. It is authorized by Title II of Public Law 99-61 and codified as 31 U.S.C. § 5112(e). Its content, weight, and purity are certified by the United States Mint. In addition to the bullion version, the United States Mint has produced a proof version and an uncirculated version for coin collectors. The Silver Eagle has been produced at three mints: the Philadelphia Mint, the San Francisco Mint, and the West Point Mint. The American Silver Eagle bullion coin may be used to fund Individual Retirement Account investments.

edited October 20, 2021 1:24PM

@Goldminers

I tend to agree...however...that was the reason given when I questioned various coins and was told by Set Registry that the US Mint's Proof Set does not have a bearing on Proof Set contents within Set Registry

When I questions the ASE's...the answer was "oh that's a bullion coin" and utter silence resulting from the pure shock when I advised the $1 on the label and the wording on the coin

PCGS tends to make decisions without rhyme or reason on a coin-by-coin basis...without citations as to the Rule applied for the denial for a New Slot on many occasions

The 2014 Kennedy Gold issue has been resolved in a roundabout way - hopefully PCGS will see the path to correct other Set Registry issues as well

I've given them a "back door" - time will tell if they use it