P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okayyyy....

• Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just based on pictures looks like a REALLY good counterfeit if it's not legit...

The "IN GOD WE" jumps out as being off right away for me though

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it's possible.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 9:48PM

The E in Peace caught my eye as oddly long.
    As well as the S and U coming out from behind the eagle's head quite intensely compared to the PCGS images.
    The break in the eagle's neck feathers look a bit intense as well.
    I don't have one handy to compare :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this one out. It's the real thing.

Not mine, of course.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    PortrossPortross Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I just looked at the photo of a “medium relief” 1922 in Burdette’s guide book, and those letters look quite similar, so that’s also a possibility. The wear and toning look natural as well. If I found this and the weight was correct I’d be very happy.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me, fwiw

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice if real. My question is why photograph the coin in that plastic holder?

• Options

What I found interesting enough to post this is that one of the Reddit comments links to these diagnostics, and the coin in question seems to fit all of them. It also has that difficult-to-describe "fake" look common to counterfeits, but if you spend time looking at genuine examples including the one @BuffaloIronTail posted, they have a similar appearance.

Don't get me wrong — I am skeptical and think it's safer to assume counterfeit until proven otherwise, but there's certainly a chance, right? Another recent Reddit junk bin find turned out to be an authentic 1792 half disme. Supposedly they'll be sending the Peace Dollar for authentication, so we'll see.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Portross said:
    I just looked at the photo of a “medium relief” 1922 in Burdette’s guide book, and those letters look quite similar, so that’s also a possibility. The wear and toning look natural as well. If I found this and the weight was correct I’d be very happy.

Roger Burdette IS the expert on these.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt a reddit user will just somehow "find" a 1922 HR Peace dollar...

• Options

@olympicsos said:

The context that the poster shared is that he works at a coin shop and a coworker who was sorting through culls pulled it.

• Options

Back in the 1979-80 silver mania somebody working at a coin shop in Michigan found a circ. Proof 1922 dollar while sorting out a pile of dollars bought in over the counter from various people.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

finally sat down and went over the info i have accrued and this reddit coin doesn't match ANY of the proof peace dollars i've examined.

if anyone has the precise number of known dies that have struck 1922 proof/matte or whatever peace dollars, we can lock this down very quickly.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

here are the images from the OP for anyone wanting to do their own work.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 1:36PM

Note the long Ray above ONE on the rev. It differs between low, med and high relief. Looks like a circulated proof from afar.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased an odd 1922 Peace dollar awhile back and didn't give it much thought. Now after viewing this thread I found it and it gives me pause.

peacockcoins

• Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

B in Liberty looks off to me on coin in question

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I purchased an odd 1922 Peace dollar awhile back and didn't give it much thought. Now after viewing this thread I found it and it gives me pause.

Lettering on yours looks mushier than the verified ones. I would suspect a Chinese Replica on that one, but not so with the one in the original post.

Have you weighed this yet?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible that wear is the reason the numerals and letters appear thicker than a Regular Strike?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

I have consulted with the expert on these, and he says that it is impossible to say for sure from the pictures I sent him, but that it does have many of the characteristics of the HR and MR 1922 dollars and might be legitimate.

I would recommend that it be submitted to our host.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Lettering on yours looks mushier than the verified ones. I would suspect a Chinese Replica on that one, but not so with the one in the original post.

Have you weighed this yet?"

I have. It weighs legit, and there is no seam. It is 90% silver, yet I do agree- the lettering is "off" and mushy. The tailfeathers are bold, though. I would classify it as a counterfeit.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    "Lettering on yours looks mushier than the verified ones. I would suspect a Chinese Replica on that one, but not so with the one in the original post.

Have you weighed this yet?"

I have. It weighs legit, and there is no seam. It is 90% silver, yet I do agree- the lettering is "off" and mushy. The tailfeathers are bold, though. I would classify it as a counterfeit.

The ZERO and ONE in "ONE" on the reverse of yours look off.

Just my two cents.

Pete

• Options

has anyone else noticed the 1 diagnostic that disproves the reddit coin yet?

it is pretty visible and obvious from even just the 1 true proof peace posted in this thread. ha say that 3x fast. :open_mouth:

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

With such a rare coin with a high incentive to be faked due to value I would not be so sure that the coin is real. Such few were minted and even fewer survive. 1 out of a million chance that it is real.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

If this can show up at a garage sale, I will believe anything..

And hopefully someday someone will find a $4 gold Stella in a landfill..

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

what some people will do for the spotlight is amazing, people want their 15 mins of fame and this person is just one of many who will di anything to get that spotlight on them

Always expect the unexpected to happen, as it will anyway no matter what you do

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

We'll have to wait for confirmation, but the reddit user writes:
    "UPDATE: NGC interviewed my boss. Its a discovery coin. It will be the first High Relief Prooflike Business strike. (Something to that nature) The coin will straight grade but havent told us the grade. Id assume there will be an article in the future. Ill update again once I know more. Sorry for the wait."

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great hair detail in that strike

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 7:02PM

Rumblings abound this was certified as a medium relief by NGC. Graded problem-free AU.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Rumblings abound this was certified as a medium relief by NGC. Graded problem-free AU.

I don't see enough luster for AU, maybe it looks different in hand?

• Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could this be NGC's page on the coin? Looks like an AU55, only one in the pop.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/peace-dollars-1921-1935-pscid-50/1922-medium-relief-1-ms-coinid-17386

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

That would make sense, as the coin has all the pickup points of the medium relief (AKA "modified high relief production trial", j-2020). Assuming it's genuine, that's definitely what it is.

It seems like this would be a difficult coin to fake convincingly. It would certainly be difficult for a counterfeiter to get their hands on one in order to copy it.

• Options

@RedSeals said:

no

thanks for posting just in case though.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 9:03PM

@PocketChange

Thanks for starting this thread. It brought back memories of my posting on a 2014 thread here titled, "1922 High Relief: No True View."

FWIW, here was my posting back then. (I can add that as CaptHenway alluded above, Roger Burdette is "the expert" on these and one of the first things I did after learning of the rarity and controversies surrounding the High Relief Peace Dollars was to go out and get Roger's book. Needless to say there was a time when there was even less recognition of the validity of various of the High Reliefs but Roger at least verified their legitimate existence outside of mint meltings.)

My 2014 posting:

"This has been a fascinating thread. For a significant period of time I have had a 1921 PR62 Satin Proof Peace Dollar in another grading company's holder. If I recall correctly, even back when I acquired it there was some level of controversy surrounding these proofs."

Now that the major grading companies are now holdering these I probably ought to pull mine out of storage.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    @PocketChange

Thanks for starting this thread. It brought back memories of my posting on a 2014 thread here titled, "1922 High Relief: No True View."

FWIW, here was my posting back then. (I can add that as CaptHenway alluded above, Roger Burdette is "the expert" on these and one of the first things I did after learning of the rarity and controversies surrounding the High Relief Peace Dollars was to go out and get Roger's book. Needless to say there was a time when there was even less recognition of the validity of various of the High Reliefs but Roger at least verified their legitimate existence outside of mint meltings.)

My 2014 posting:

"This has been a fascinating thread. For a significant period of time I have had a 1921 PR62 Satin Proof Peace Dollar in another grading company's holder. If I recall correctly, even back when I acquired it there was some level of controversy surrounding these proofs."

Now that the major grading companies are now holdering these I probably ought to pull mine out of storage.

Here is a link to the referenced 2014 thread.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/10815949#Comment_10815949

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedSeals said:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/peace-dollars-1921-1935-pscid-50/1922-medium-relief-1-ms-coinid-17386

It should be be submitted for a professional opinion, that's for sure.

• Options

Nice coin if you can find one.

Pete

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    And hopefully someday someone will find a $4 gold Stella in a landfill..

That is possible, just ask Fred Weinberg. He threw one away.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12637799#Comment_12637799

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Back in the 1979-80 silver mania somebody working at a coin shop in Michigan found a circ. Proof 1922 dollar while sorting out a pile of dollars bought in over the counter from various people.

I remember that. I believe the dealer was Ernest F. Lush who had a shop on Southfield Road at that time.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@CaptHenway said:

I remember that. I believe the dealer was Ernest F. Lush who had a shop on Southfield Road at that time.

Yep!

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 9:02PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    Shazam.

simply cannot believe they put that in a j-2018 (MY mistake) holder. yet another island i may just be on by myself.

i'll wait as i've seen more than a few coins come out of holders during my tenure here.

discoveries do make my liver quiver but only if they are accurate, including the many i have.

TYVM for the images DD.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Shazam.

simply cannot believe they put that in a j-2018 holder. yet another island i may just be on by myself.

i'll wait as i've seen more than a few coins come out of holders during my tenure here.

discoveries do make my liver quiver but only if they are accurate, including the many i have.

TYVM for the images DD.

What do you find inaccurate about the J-2020 designation?

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Shazam.

simply cannot believe they put that in a j-2018 holder. yet another island i may just be on by myself.

TYVM for the images DD.

They didn't attribute the coin as J-2018; they attributed it as J-2020. The J-2020 has a different obverse and reverse design than the J-2018. Everything checks out, as far as I can see. They made the correct determination.

• Options

@IkesT said:
    They didn't attribute the coin as J-2018; they attributed it as J-2020. The J-2020 has a different obverse and reverse design than the J-2018. Everything checks out, as far as I can see. They made the correct determination.

ty. that explains it. i had too many images open and was looking at the J-2018.

rule #1 for me. don't post too early and don't post too late.

congratz to the finder. a BIG congratz.

it is the only one that could be considered and it is the one it turned out to be!

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@IkesT said:

ty. that explains it. i had too many images open and was looking at the J-2018.

rule #1 for me. don't post too early and don't post too late.

congratz to the finder. a BIG congratz.

it is the only one that could be considered and it is the one it turned out to be!

Definitely hats off to the finder - a wonderful find and an amazing coin!

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2021 6:48AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    has anyone else noticed the 1 diagnostic that disproves the reddit coin yet?

it is pretty visible and obvious from even just the 1 true proof peace posted in this thread. ha say that 3x fast. :open_mouth:

So what was the 1 diagnostic that disproved the reddit coin for you at that point in time?

I started out doubtful and then assumed fake after comparing it to the ususal High Relief die details which didn't quite match, like how far the point of the bust sticks into the 9.

But then I recalled the discovery of the Judd-2020 so-called medium reliefs auctioned a several years ago and noticed that the design details matched. And as @IkesT noted above "It seems like this would be a difficult coin to fake convincingly. It would certainly be difficult for a counterfeiter to get their hands on one in order to copy it."

Makes me wonder if some of the 3,200 were released and still waiting to be found in circulated condition. Or if it is a one-off situation like the other circ 1922 High Relief and probably tied to an insider who got one and later someone spent it meaning it's unlikely to find any more.
    Stack's Bowers press release from 2014:

An Incredible Offering of Peace Dollar Trials Formerly Property of Mint Director Raymond T. Baker

stacksbowers.com/BrowseAuctions/PeaceDollarDiscovery.aspx
    One of the Judd-2020 lots:

1922 Peace Silver Dollar. Modified High Relief Production Trial. Judd-2020. Proof-67 (PCGS). CAC. Satin Finish.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1N8PO/1922-peace-silver-dollar-modified-high-relief-production-trial-judd-2020-proof-67-pcgs-cac-satin-finish

PCGS CoinFacts page about them:

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1922-1-modified-high-relief-production-trial-j-2020/97384
    Goldberg auctions were consigned two related non-Judd-2020 High Reliefs also in 2014 from the same source with some additional info:

1922 PCGS graded Proof 67 CAC Approved Matte Finish High Relief

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=80&lot=1344&lang=1
    1922 PCGS graded Proof 64 Matte Finish High Relief

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=80&lot=1345

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file