Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1922 High Relief: No TrueView?

Would you really believe these went through PCGS' doors without Phil spending a giddy amount of time with them under the lens? Yet I can't find the trueviews....

Comments

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    1922 high relief?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    The High Relief Peace Dollars that were just discovered.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe they will show up in coin facts ??

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    To be honest, I like both of them very much! The 67 is just impeccable, the 64 has character and makes it look more High relief than the 67. I wouldn't kick either out of bed!!
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting that the rays under N in ONE differ between the 64 and 67. I always thought the length of the ray signified different types of proofs, but I may be wrong.
  • Options
    The ray going through the "N" in "ONE" seems to be the most different. Quite interesting to compare.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To be honest, I like both of them very much! The 67 is just impeccable, the 64 has character and makes it look more High relief than the 67. I wouldn't kick either out of bed!! >>

since you mention it. here are links for those that want to get intimate after the lights go out.

i'll go ahead and host these 2 monsters since they'll load much faster from my hosting. imageimage

OH - MY

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    The bottom of the first leg of the N's ...

Eric
  • Options
    I'll see you in a few weeks - I m going climbing image
    AWESOME pics.

Eric
  • Options
    I'd say there's 2 different dies

Look at the lower right of the "N" in "ONE."

One is pointed and the other is flat-bottomed.

Look at "oF" on each

The obverse has slight differences, too.

The point on the bust on the 9 and over the 9

The detail from the tip of the nose over the nostril and back to the cheek.

The first T in TRVST - the right-side top is angled more on the 64 than the 67.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you really believe these went through PCGS' doors without Phil spending a giddy amount of time with them under the lens? Yet I can't find the trueviews.... >>

The photos posted are both CoinFacts photos - shot the same way as TrueView but without the background.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd say there's 2 different dies

One is pointed and the other is flat-bottomed.

Look at "oF" on each >>

That's what I am saying image
    There are several observable differences. One interesting difference is the "C"'s in America - the tail is pointed on one.

Eric
  • Options
    2 different die pairs = twice as much excitement

(Will the mint want these back, too? image )
  • Options
    I was really thrilled when these came through my office. No way would something like these not be photographed.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options

<< <i>I'd say there's 2 different dies

One is pointed and the other is flat-bottomed. >>

You know what they say about flat bottoms, they make the rockin world go round! image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you really believe these went through PCGS' doors without Phil spending a giddy amount of time with them under the lens? Yet I can't find the trueviews.... >>

He only TrueViews coins at the submitter's request. I don't think this service is ever complimentary, no matter the coin's value.

For CoinFacts purposes, however, the coin can be photographed free of charge. These are the photos you see with the plain, white background.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Three YN's from the last two ANA Summer Seminars have been texting
    back and forth since this Thread opened up. All excited at the discovery.
    The incessant texting also makes all my IPads and IPhones go crazy chirping
    and chiming. Having gone to sleep at 10:30, I was woken at 1:30 with all
    the noise.

This Thread was their excuse.

Being woken to see these two wonderful coins was worth it.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Too much to say. I'm just going to look.

Eric
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To be honest, I like both of them very much! The 67 is just impeccable, the 64 has character and makes it look more High relief than the 67. I wouldn't kick either out of bed!! >>

Kinda have to agree with you. Per the photo the 67 actually looks washed out though probably as a result of being a matte proof which likely does not take well to being photographed.
  • Options

<< <i>I was really thrilled when these came through my office. No way would something like these not be photographed. >>

Phil, please tell us the whole story, you can't just say "these came through my office". That's just wrong to leave it like that!!
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy smokes, those are fantastic coins. I bet Roger Burdette is gonna be all over those too.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find. Makes you wonder what else is out there waiting to be discovered.

Can you imagine the beauty of this series if production coins could have been produced with this degree of strike and in high relief? That lettering is SHARP!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are sick. Absolutely sick.

I may sacrifice a lamb to Plutus or peel an orange for Ganesh for not allowing these pieces to be made into a belt buckle in the 1950s or melted in the 1980s. A 90+ year old PR67?

Sick!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was really thrilled when these came through my office. No way would something like these not be photographed. >>

Phil, please tell us the whole story, you can't just say "these came through my office". That's just wrong to leave it like that!! >>

Phil/PCGSPhoto is Phil Arnold who takes the TrueView's.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, I love it !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>

Phil, please tell us the whole story, you can't just say "these came through my office". That's just wrong to leave it like that!! >>

PCGS blog post part 2!

• Options
    quote from a very knowledgeable man ATS.

"The two coins are from different reverse dies: The PR64 coin uses the 1921 HR reverse, and the PR67 uses the HR 1922 reverse. The two are completely different. These are described in the Guide Book for Peace Dollars. The 1922 HR with 1921 reverse was identified by NGC's David Lange on a circulation strike 1922 HR piece.

It would have benefited Goldbergs and PCGS if they had read the book, or at least consulted someone who had researched the series."
  • Options
    The obverse dies are also different

Besides previously noted ::

Note the W in We, potentially G in God, and the leftmost portion of the crown curves down towards the forehead on the 64 and is more straight on the 67

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars are not my thing, but that 67 could change my thoughts on them. That coin is beautiful.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy Shamoley!

All these really COOL Coin Finds coming out of the State of California!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Going off some of the information from Ms Morisene, here are some photos for the obverse to show the differences.

"IN GOD" The left leg of the "N" is pointed on the bottom right. There is some slight difference in the "G" in "GOD" but that could be be a better strike.

Point of the bust and the 9. Again, this could be solely from being a better strike but it certainly looks different.

"TRVST" too many differences here to list and definitely more well defined on the 64.

And lastly the face. The cheek and chin are obviously more full on the PR64, as well as the eye socket being more sunken. There also appears to be a die marker in the field parallel to the nose.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    May I innocently ask for a link that shows the PUP's for the high relief 1922 Peace Dollar? image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The obverse dies are also different

Note the W in We, potentially G in God, and the leftmost portion of the crown curves down towards the forehead on the 64 and is more straight on the 67 >>

I believe they were struck from the same dies. The differences you are seeing are due to toning obscuring the devices on the PR64 example.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The obverse dies are also different

Note the W in We, potentially G in God, and the leftmost portion of the crown curves down towards the forehead on the 64 and is more straight on the 67 >>

I believe they were struck from the same dies. The differences you are seeing are due to toning obscuring the devices on the PR64 example. >>

it's a little bit of that.

there's a little bit of strike doubling on the 64 that messes with things

there's some shadowing stuff going on

and there's some potential .jpg issues going on or something with the photos. I could swear there is a flat spot on the tiara on the 67 that is curved on the 64. However, looking at the "max" images, it simply is not there.

super huge MAX image of the 64
    super huge MAX image of the 67

I still can't explain the puffiness around the nose and chin. Is it possible striking pressure differences created this? Or is it imagination differences?

• Options
    I did see that there was significant machine doubling, most notable in the "BER" of "LIBERTY" on the obverse as shown below.

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
    Isn't another pick up point the "2s"? The reg 1922 has curly loops. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    That 67 is really something.

Great research on the variations.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    Here is some interesting pertinent information from RWB.

<< <i>Sadly, the auction catalog has been published with the incorrect attribution. That is guaranteed to confuse bidders and distort the historical record. The 1922HR/rev 1921 coins were failed trial strikes made on a toggle press and are very rare - 3-4 known. Unless the published description and PCGS's attribution are corrected before the sale, the early Peace dollar situation will only be further confused.

(Disclaimer: I discovered documentation and other information that established the present knowledge about early Peace dollars and the experiments relating to them. Much of this was published in 2005 in "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921." David Lange first identified the 1922HR/rev 1921 trial strike coin based on my earlier description. R.W. Julian discovered the initial indications of trial production in the 1960s.) >>

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been a fascinating thread. For a significant period of time I have had a 1921 PR62 Satin Proof Peace Dollar in another grading company's holder. If I recall correctly, even back when I acquired it there was some level of controversy surrounding these proofs.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This has been a fascinating thread. >>

Yup, as has the corresponding thread ATS. I also put a close-up of some of the reverse die markers of the PR64 on the thread on VAMWorld to see if anyone can identify a reverse used on 1921 business strikes. Not having all the coins, I can only check the pictures for a match, and couldn't find one. Even if a 1921 business strike reverse die was reused for the PR64, reconditioning (i.e., polishing) may have changed all the die markers, anyway.
  • Options
    John, can you link the VAMWorld thread?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful, amazing, gorgeous!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would seem strange for two die pairs and so few coins known.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>It would seem strange for two die pairs and so few coins known. >>

Not if produced during two different periods for two different reasons.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re '21 Satins ONLY:

Our host made their decision on these long ago. IIRC, from the very start.

I've spoken (quite a few years ago, when Jack Lee and I thought, on fabric, that we might have one) to Rick Montgomery ATS. Translating from memory and not necessarily technically correct on my part, but I'll say that what I took away from the conversation was that, because of what I interpreted as the "anomalous" nature of the dies, they had stopped attributing a Satin Roof designation. That's for the '21 Satins, and likely unpredictive of TPG response to other esoteric emissions of that time.

These 22's apparently "carry their own credentials" ((fabric again) and been otherwise verified sufficiently, else PCGS wouldn't assume the financial risk of attributing them.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody have the prices realized handy on these two?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both very attractive coins...thanks for showing us...... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file