Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best and safest way to package and mail 2 certified generic gold coins?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have experience with sending coins through the mail.

If I want to mail 2 generic 1/2 oz PCGS certified gold coins, what would be the safest mail service to use?

And, how would you package the slabs to protect them during shipment? Would you use a lot of tape?

I would appreciate input from those who regularly package and mail coins.

Comments

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will USPS let you insure coins for their true value, if you do not have a receipt?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 4:43AM

@CoinHoarder said:
    Will USPS let you insure coins for their true value, if you do not have a receipt?

How could you prove your case without a receipt ... if it gets lost?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

Yes, they don’t ask for receipts.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited February 8, 2021 5:48AM

Is Priority Mail a reliable way to ship the coins?

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

As far as packaging I recently mailed two slabs and used a mailer with the coins wrapped in bubble wrap with the bubble wrap taped. If it was more than say 3 or 4 coins i would use a small box and just make sure the coins dont rattle around in the box

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder.... For gold coins, I would ship Registered, insured... Tape the slabs to the inside of the box, fill with bubble wrap...Cheers, RickO

Would a PayPal invoice from the purchaser on a collectible coin, be sufficient to get reimbursed for a USPS insurance claim if the coin were lost in transit?

• Demonstrable market value can substitute for an invoice,

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regular priority can be slow these days; you could try express, usps provides most of the packing materials, you can pick up tape at Walmart and I'd pack with layers of packing envelopes and tape the outside of the envelope or box. I've never had those go missing but there have been spates of missing/stolen packages in the last year. If the express does not meet the deadline, you can even request by 10:30 am, you get the express fee back but not insurance.

With registered you could use an envelope that usps will often help tape over so it meets their requirements; they will quote you insurance rates on that.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use Registered Mail. Package them in a small box that is completely sealed with tape that will accept a postmark. All possible points of entry in the packaging will be stamped with the postmark at the post office. The buyer will have to sign for the package.

All glory is fleeting.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@davewesen said:
    USPS registered insured would be safest, but costs you the most.

In the case of the value of those two coins, I believe that insured (without the “registered” option) would cost more than “registered insured”.

I have found this to be the case for items insured above $2000.

The easiest way to check is to wrap and label the package as if for Registered mail. Tell the clerk the amount of insurance and ask for the price of Priority and Registered. If Registered is less, then your package is ready to go. If Priority is less ... then you have a extra fancy Priority package ready to go.

Insurance rates for non-registered packages are much higher than for registered packages.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If what you are shipping is irreplaceable or worth > $1000, I'd ship registered. I ship slabs in plastic sleeves within individual bubble-wrap mailers. Two of these easily fit in a small USPS Priority box. I then put a band of tape around the box in each direction, cover the box with brown paper, and seal the seams with brown paper tape. Perhaps some of that is overkill, but it's the safest way to do it.

The other possible option is to ship a small box within a large USPS Express box. Some insurance companies insist that this is the safest way. It's in the system for a very short period of time and apparently large boxes aren't stolen as frequently as small boxes.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 8:53AM

I have sent Rolex watches, expensive cards, and Leica cameras all over the country USPS registered mail.

Pack it well.

Not one issue.

Funny thing... one shipment got to LA from the deep South in a few days. It took 10 days for one to reach NYC.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

No, only Registered Mail for coins or bullion.

• slider23slider23 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

Yes, If you use the Priority Mail small box, be sure to use clear tape and tape up all open seams on the box. If the end tabs are not taped, they can open in shipping. For a little added protection, you can ship with signature required. With the pandemic In most cases the delivery carrier will sign for the package and hand the package to the person that opens the door.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

safety for contents? we have had a few mail mishaps. steel box 5 ton crush proof.

otherwise you're using bubble wrap inside a box. lots and lots of tape is unnecessary.

package so they do not rattle. package so the contents are not sliding or bouncing around.

while we have had only a few missing mail posts, write down your TPG, slab cert number, grade and what type of coin it is. NCIC could use that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

because of the dollar value, I'd only use registered, but obviously there are many replies here stating plain priority is ok.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all fun and games until you try to collect insurance from the USPS and discover the disappointing fine print. :)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 11:37AM

I have learned from experience that one should never send slabbed coins in an envelope that is not inside a box.

Insured Registered is cheaper after about an $800 declared value. Registered insurance is based on declared value and is built into the registered price. Two types of registered: first class registered and priority registered (everything over 16 oz.). You're gonna pay a first class fee or a priority fee in addition to the registered fee. If under 16 oz. declare "first class registered" at the counter to avoid the higher priority fee. Priority registered will result in the priority rate getting added to registered rate, so if your item is over 16 oz. consider using a flat rate box or cardboard envelope to take advantage of the flat rate for heavier items. Paying the priority rate does not expedite an always slow registered shipment. For a registered priority shipment usps tracking will incorrectly estimate delivery based on the "priority" and not on the "registered." This causes panic in many buyers so brief them on this usps tracking site error.

Also, declare "electronic return receipt" over signature confirmation. This is cheaper, requires no forms and satisfies PP and ebay sig confirmation requirements.

My standard line when presenting the package and the Postal Form 3806 at the counter: "First class registered insured (to remind them there is a declared value on the form), electronic return receipt." The higher the declared (insured value) the higher the registered mailing fee.

Just sent a $2200 gold coin first class registered, cost was 27.45. Prices have gone up, six months ago would have cost around $22.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

edited February 8, 2021 10:24AM

@matt_dac said:
    It's all fun and games until you try to collect insurance from the USPS and discover the disappointing fine print. :)

I have never lost a registered shipment. I have never lost a claim (always filed on line) on an insured non-registered shipment, the secret to success is to have your postal receipts and to present valued items at the counter for an "acceptance scan" to prove usps received the item. This begins the tracking process with a "usps in possession of item" tracking entry. From there the usps claims people have everything they need to approve the claim.

The fine print does say that an insurance claim for value of bullion will only be paid if sent registered. USPS does not provide their definition of bullion.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Priorty Mail, insured would be quite adequate for me. I would put in a small box stuffed with bubble and then in a Medium box, stuffed with bubble so as no rattling at all. Insure for value and ship.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited February 8, 2021 10:40AM

Unfortunately usps does not publish the percentage of priority shipments that do not make it to their destination. I know for a fact it is not 100%.

While not showing the shipping cost when producing your own shipping label helps, "SIGNATURE REQUIRED" is an invitation for an inside job.

If one is determined to ship priority do it in a small flat rate box that is then sealed in a flat rate padded envelope. Cost only a few pennies more to use the envelope but greatly reduces chances of pilferaging or theft. Like all priority flat rate products (many of which are not available at your local PO) the padded envelopes can be ordered and delivered free at the usps.com website store.

@astrorat said:

@MFeld said:

@davewesen said:
    USPS registered insured would be safest, but costs you the most.

In the case of the value of those two coins, I believe that insured (without the “registered” option) would cost more than “registered insured”.

I have found this to be the case for items insured above $2000.

The easiest way to check is to wrap and label the package as if for Registered mail. Tell the clerk the amount of insurance and ask for the price of Priority and Registered. If Registered is less, then your package is ready to go. If Priority is less ... then you have a extra fancy Priority package ready to go.

Insurance rates for non-registered packages are much higher than for registered packages.

I believe that the break even amount of value for saving with registered is well below $1000.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would Fed Ex not be a better and quicker way? Also regardless of choice
    take pics of the coins so that PCGS cert. number is readable.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a $2k package I would use registered. It will cost around $35 and is the only way to insure bullion in the mail.
    The best tape is the fiber reinforced water activated paper tape. For registered mail you must use paper tape for the stamps the PO puts on all the seams. As an added bonus your packages will look much more professional. My pro-tip is to use a fine mist spray bottle to activate the glue rather than a sponge.
    Here is 450ft which will probably last the average sender many years, mine has been going for about 4 so far.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/76235A77/

Collector, occasional seller

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ship them registered in a small flat rate box without insurance is what I would probably do. Registered is reliable enough that insurance for that amount isn't necessary. Wrap each slab in bubble pack. Hopefully it is going to an address where only the recipient can sign for it. Good luck.

theknowitalltroll;

PAPER TAPE 10.99 AT STAPLES WITH FREE SHIPPING

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN the last 6 months I've received 20+ packages from USPS, Fed EX and
    UPS, all requiring signatures and haven't signed for any. All left on front porch.
    Thank God for RING doorbell.

edited February 8, 2021 11:50AM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Ship them registered in a small flat rate box without insurance is what I would probably do. Registered is reliable enough that insurance for that amount isn't necessary. Wrap each slab in bubble pack. Hopefully it is going to an address where only the recipient can sign for it. Good luck.

price of registered includes insurance on declared value. Only way to avoid insurance is to declare $0 value. Good chance the additional priority fee (when not needed) would cover the registered insurance if sent first class. There is no reason to pay extra for un-needed priority when sending registered. It still travels slow.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding registered mail and insured value, from the USPS website:

2.2.1 Declaring Full Value
    The mailer must always declare the item’s full value (see chart below) to the USPS (by stating it to the USPS clerk or entering it on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) when presenting it for registration and mailing. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

Try to lie about the value or not- your choice.

edited February 8, 2021 2:07PM

@MasonG said:
    Regarding registered mail and insured value, from the USPS website:

2.2.1 Declaring Full Value
    The mailer must always declare the item’s full value (see chart below) to the USPS (by stating it to the USPS clerk or entering it on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) when presenting it for registration and mailing. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

Try to lie about the value or not- your choice.

Yet usps leaves it to the customer to assign the full value. The clerk is tasked with only ensuring a dollar value (even if $0) has been entered on the form. The clerk is not tasked with ensuring the dollar value is accurate. One is not even required to reveal the contents of the package, only that they are not liquid, fragile or perishable.

The above usps requirement was written and published when a sender of registered had the option of opting out of insurance coverage by checking the "without postal insurance" block. If he chose to insure then the insurance cost was added to the mailing fee. He was still required to state full value but did not have to pay for the coverage by opting out. In recent years usps has updated registered pricing to include insurance on the declared value but has not updated their domestic mail manual to reflect the change. Insurance fee is now automatically built into the registered fee based on declared value. The only way to opt out now is to claim $0 value.

So, feel free to claim $0 value on the form. It simply means you have no claim against usps in the future and I am quite sure usps is just fine with that.

FWIW, usps also says they will not pay more than $15 on an insurance claim for bullion unless sent registered. Yet they will sell you insurance for bullion not sent registered.

Old and new Registered forms:

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 1:54PM

@CoinHoarder said:

"For stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value; the fair market value is determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors’ newsletters and trade papers. The date of the fair market value determination must be current and prior to the mailing date."
    USPS DMM Section 609 4.1.g @ https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

Don't have any personal experience, but would a screenshot of the PCGS cert verification, with price guide value, suffice?

For bullion ...

"Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00."
    USPS DMM Section 609 4.1.m

"Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. [...] Examples are:
    a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.
    USPS DMM Section 3.2

Note - as @derryb pointed out earlier, the USPS has not clearly defined the difference between numismatic items and bullion.

"So, feel free to claim $0 value on the form. It simply means you have no claim against usps in the future and I am quite sure usps is just fine with that."

As I noted, some people will lie about the value of their package and others won't.

@Tibor said:
    Would Fed Ex not be a better and quicker way? Also regardless of choice
    take pics of the coins so that PCGS cert. number is readable.

It would be quicker, but not nearly as safe. If you don't have private insurance, I wouldn't recommend it.

edited February 8, 2021 2:20PM

@MasonG said:
    "So, feel free to claim $0 value on the form. It simply means you have no claim against usps in the future and I am quite sure usps is just fine with that."

As I noted, some people will lie about the value of their package and others won't.

Most people would not call that a lie. But if you insist, yes, in this case I am a liar.

So, if you are paying for private insurance and don't need usps insurance you will buy the usps insurance just so you can sleep better? LOL

For usps insurance purposes when I don't need their insurance I declare the value is $0. And I sleep just fine.

"The mailer must always declare the item’s full value (see chart below) to the USPS (by stating it to the USPS clerk or entering it on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) when presenting it for registration and mailing."

If you are mailing gold coins and declare that the item's full value is zero, you are lying. Simple as that.

BTW, I never made the claim that liars don't sleep fine. :)

Trying to keep this thread at the top?

Asking for a friend... ;)

@MasonG said:

When I had my own business and private insurance, if I remember correctly, the insurance co. recommended that I declare only a minimal insured value when shipping through the U.S.P.S.

If declaring less than full value is always lying, I lied.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    PAPER TAPE 10.99 AT STAPLES WITH FREE SHIPPING

Right you are.
    https://www.staples.com/Staples-Standard-Grade-Paper-Packing-Tape-2-8-x-125-yards-Each-468231-CC/product_468231

Everyone should have a roll of paper tape IMO

Collector, occasional seller

@MFeld said:

@MasonG said:

When I had my own business and private insurance, if I remember correctly, the insurance co. recommended that I declare only a minimal insured value when shipping through the U.S.P.S.

The requirement to declare full value hasn't always existed. I'm not interested enough to attempt to pin down the exact date but the post office modified their policy sometime after around 2010 (WAG). Declaring less than full value would not be a lie if it was done before that time.

edited February 8, 2021 3:56PM

@MasonG said:

@MFeld said:

@MasonG said:

The requirement to declare full value hasn't always existed. I'm not interested enough to attempt to pin down the exact date but the post office modified their policy sometime after around 2010 (WAG). Declaring less than full value would not be a lie if it was done before that time.

I had my own business through early 2013, so was probably guilty. Do you have private insurance and if so, what is the company’s recommendation regarding declaration of value for shipping?

edited February 8, 2021 5:36PM

@MasonG said:

The requirement to "declare full value" and not be a liar was around since at least as early as 2004 as indicated in the form shown above. I was a liar back then as well and will likely continue to be a postal liar until I'm banned from Tweeter.

Declaring a zero value when shipping registered is how one declines (and does not pay for) usps insurance. It is the only way to decline the insurance. Trust me, I'm telling the truth when I say I do not want usps insurance for this shipment.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I do not have experience with sending coins through the mail.

If I want to mail 2 generic 1/2 oz PCGS certified gold coins, what would be the safest mail service to use?

And, how would you package the slabs to protect them during shipment? Would you use a lot of tape?

Bubble wrap rubber banded around the slabs in a small box. Pad the box with fill so that nothing moves when shaken. Avoid tape inside the box when possible, it's a real nuisance for the recipient.

@CoinHoarder said:

Generally yes. I've sent a number of gold coins in flat rate priority envelopes with no issues.

theknowitalltroll;

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

price of registered includes insurance on declared value. Only way to avoid insurance is to declare $0 value. Good chance the additional priority fee (when not needed) would cover the registered insurance if sent first class. There is no reason to pay extra for un-needed priority when sending registered. It still travels slow.

Yep. One could put 2 slabs into a safe T mailer and put that into a regular letter sized envelope and cover it over with brown tape to get about a 4 ounce package with less than $4 postage vs $7.60 for a SFRB. The kinder gentler handling of registered would keep your slabs from getting damaged or at least minimize the chance of damage.

theknowitalltroll;

@AUandAG said:
    Priorty Mail, insured would be quite adequate for me. I would put in a small box stuffed with bubble and then in a Medium box, stuffed with bubble so as no rattling at all. Insure for value and ship.

bob :)

If you're using a medium flat rate box for its size [harder to hide on one's person] a regional rate box will accomplish the same for less; especially since your weight is so low.

theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file