Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Not likely as new owners want more fees. I wonder if they know what is what? -:)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 4:14AM

@Perfection said:
    It's sad that so many of the top CAC coins are being cracked and upgraded. So wrong. Also it makes the CAC pops incorrect as many upgrades are not reported. Therefore CAC coins are worth even more. When will this end?

The pops don't matter as much as the coin to me.

I think one thing that is driving upgrades with respect to CAC is that there are numerous examples of coins that green CAC at lower grade and then reCAC at a higher grade. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen, but if you can get a grade bump and still CAC, I think the upgrades are going to be hard to stop.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2021 4:29AM

@Perfection said:
    Not likely as new owners want more fees. I wonder if they know what is what? -:)

What shareholder wouldn't want more revenue if the future revenue isn't harmed?

• Options
    edited January 26, 2021 4:33AM

@Catbert said:
    With having duplicate sets, Hansen acts as a vacuum cleaner on the high end market. This makes me wonder if it has a depressing effect on fellow whales.

It must be having an effect. If it didn't, Laura wouldn't have written that Hot Topics article a while back.

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    All right I have no Idea who this Hansen guy is - I get it I was out of the loop for a decade+ and just jumped back in. I have a bunch of coins he needs/wants and what I wonder is that why I get calls from Heritage and emails all the time? - it is annoying - Why does he just not call? It is weird IMO. Most of mine are not for sale (I don't need the money) - but trades are possible - I also have on some moderns - all/most/some of the top POPS for certain coins but only publish 1. I also have some POP1's that are not important and not in sets - I just like to have them and would trade.

Unfortunately the yellow pages don't really help anymore.
    Give me a call at 800-776-0560. I'll make it easy...and if you want to trade, that's even better!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indian Cent Upgrade Part II

A couple days ago you saw a PCGS POP 1/0 1863 Indian Cent MS67, from the Jasper Mantooth All-Time finest PCGS Registry set. This was the only POP 1/0 purchased, but not the only coin. As stated before, as many as eight coins were purchased in the Heritage Auction from this collection. As you can see from the screenshot below, Mr. Hansen replaced ten coins in a recent update and as stated, eight can be confirmed to be from the Jasper Mantooth Collection. The 1864 CN, MS66+ is not from the collection and was not purchased from the Heritage. I think this was an earlier purchase and just getting updated in the set now. The 1909 MS67RD was purchased in the Heritage sale, but does not appear to be from the Jasper Mantooth Collection. The coin does carry the Eagle Eye sticker which leads me to believe it was consigned by Rick Snow.

Let’s take a quick look at the eight coins purchased in the Heritage Auction from the Jasper Mantooth Collection. The total realized for the eight coins was $178,200.

1861 MS67 PCGS POP 16/1, Cert 34351205, CAC, realized $18,600, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1863 MS67 PCGS POP 1/0, Cert 25674993, Eagle Eye, realized $20,400, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1864 Bronze No L, MS67 Red, PCGS 4/0, Cert 35764613, realized $13,200, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1893 MS67 Red, PCGS 3/0, Cert 36890662, realized $28,800, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1901 MS67+ Red, PCGS 2/0, Cert 38478264, realized $33,600, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1902 MS67+ Red, PCGS 3/1, Cert 37151192, realized $38,400, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1904 MS67 Red, PCGS 10/1, Cert 84330934, realized $11,400, Ex: Jasper Mantooth
    1905 MS67 Red, PCGS 4/0, Cert 84296272, realized $13,800, Ex: Jasper Mantooth

With this purchase, The D.L. Hansen Collection of Indian Cents moves up to eighth placed on the PCGS All-Times Finest list. If this collection ever reaches the finest, it will be the hard way. The opportunity to purchase the top set entirely has now passed. This does not mean that Mr. Hansen is not well on the way. The set grade rating for the Hansen set is 67.617. The set has the sole finest 1863 and adds four tied for finest to the previous three. The set is a work in progress with a long ways to still go to meet the Hansen standard.

1901 Indian Cent, RD MS67+ RD, Ex: Jasper Mantooth Collection

The coin is one of two finest certified by PCGS. This upgraded turned out to be a pretty good replacement for the D.L. Hansen Collection. The coin replaces a MS66+ RD, Cert 84104792, POP 27/23. It is a nice coin, but is an under-grade for working in the Hansen Collection. For the two MS67+ specimens, both were available in auction the past two months. The first coin was offered in Legend’s Regency 42 Auction held on 12/3/2020. The CAC Approved coin was described as: Tied for FINEST and a simply STUNNING example! One look at this SUPERB 1901 cent and you will scream "WOW!" Everything about this jewel is 100% off the charts--both in terms of technical and aesthetic qualities! You really cannot beat this coin! PCGS has graded 2 in 67+ RD and NONE FINER. The current PCGS Price Guide value is $42,500 and neither example has ever sold in auction. A real prize for the most quality focused and demanding of Registry Set collectors. Get ready to rock-n-roll if you are looking to add this to your set! The coin set an Auction Record when realizing $30,550. It appears Mr. Hansen passed on this coin.

As you know, the new Hansen coin appeared in the Heritage Auction just a little over a month later. The coin was highlighted as: 1901 Cent, MS67+ Red, Tied with One Other at PCGS, None Finer. The rarity of the coin was described by Heritage: Nearly 80 million Indian Head cents were struck in 1901, up considerably from the 66.8 million coins produced the year before. Unsurprisingly, this is a fairly collectible issue with hundreds of examples available in MS64 Red and MS65 Red. Premium Gems in that color category begin to pose a challenge, but the 1901 is only genuinely elusive in MS67 Red. Just three examples boast a Plus designation: two at PCGS and one at NGC.

This coin is also a very nice specimen. The coin appearance is described by Heritage as: Copper-orange surfaces glow with swirling cartwheel luster. The fields exhibit significant die fatigue but post-production flaws are practically unseen. Only the date and shield are noticeably incomplete. The remaining devices are strong. This coin does not carry the CAC sticker, but did break the Auction Record that was set less than two months before. Mr. Hansen winning bid was $33,600. '

The eight Jasper Mantooth specimens purchased in the Heritage Sale does certainly improve the D.L. Hansen Collection. I am sure we will be watching this series for more updates in the future. In the meantime, I don’t sense Stuart should have any fears of being overtaken by the D.L. Hansen Collection. If the other four PCGS POP 1/0 specimens went to one owner, then Stuart could be knocked off the top perch once again.

Provenance: Jasper Mantooth; Eagle Eye Rare Coins; FUN US Coins Signature (Heritage 1/2021), Lot 3994, realized $33,600, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1901 Indian Cent MS67+ Red, PCGS POP 2/0
    Certification #38478264, PCGS #2210
    PCGS Price Guide: $42,500 / Realized $33,600
    Ex: Jasper Mantooth Collection (PCGS Registry)

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 8:23PM

The 1901 MS67+RD Pop 2/0 is far from a pop2/0 when PR examples are factored onto the mix. The MS67+ at a value of $33,600 could be compared to this coin.......

This coin is 67.5 PR RD and sold for $11,750.00 in Legend Auction March 2019.

Or my 1901 PR66 RD-CAC.......

Hansen had to swallow very hard to pay $33,600 for a MS67.5.

i have no comprehension that a MS coin can be more valuable than a PR coin of the same grade.

OINK

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 9:08PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    The 1901 MS67+RD Pop 2/0 is far from a pop2/0 when PR examples are factored onto the mix. The MS67+ at a value of $33,600 could be compared to this coin.......

i have no comprehension that a MS coin can be more valuable than a PR coin of the same grade.

OINK

All the time. Any MS 1851 or 52 dollar is worth more than the equivalent proof (for example). Closer to home, same for the 1877 cent

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 7:53AM

Au Contraire! The majority of high grade 19th century business strikes are worth multiples of their counterpart proofs save some of the early years.

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 11:03AM

Cool Indian Head Cents...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@Clackamas1 said:
    All right I have no Idea who this Hansen guy is - I get it I was out of the loop for a decade+ and just jumped back in. I have a bunch of coins he needs/wants and what I wonder is that why I get calls from Heritage and emails all the time? - it is annoying - Why does he just not call? It is weird IMO. Most of mine are not for sale (I don't need the money) - but trades are possible - I also have on some moderns - all/most/some of the top POPS for certain coins but only publish 1. I also have some POP1's that are not important and not in sets - I just like to have them and would trade.

Heritage has a feature where you can designate coins you purchased in auction as available. You would then be contacted if someone inquires about obtaining the coin. You just need to go to your heritage account and change a setting.

Based on his post, I thought he might already be being contacted

@amwldcoin said:
    Au Contraire! The majority of high grade 19th century business strikes are worth multiples of their counterpart proofs save some of the early years.

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

It looks to me as if you're agreeing with him that the business strikes tend to sell for more than the Proofs. So what's with the "Au Contraire!"?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Hmmm, He says he has no comprehension an MS coin can be more valuable than a Proof of the same grade. I take that to mean he thinks the Proofs are worth more.

@MFeld said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

Heritage has a feature where you can designate coins you purchased in auction as available. You would then be contacted if someone inquires about obtaining the coin. You just need to go to your heritage account and change a setting.

@amwldcoin said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

It looks to me as if you're agreeing with him that the business strikes tend to sell for more than the Proofs. So what's with the "Au Contraire!"?

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 2:38PM

i have always found it to be an anomaly that a mint coin of the same grade as a proof coin could possibly sell for 3x the price of a proof of the same grade as was the Hansen 1901 @ $33,600 vs. $7,500 for the PR67.5. Registry set competition????

But this1901 PR67+CAM (Pop1/0) sold for $49,938 in Legend Regency Auction 36........

I understand that it was not CAM when it sold and was later upgraded by PCGS.

But I am a little confused as it appears to be the same coin the CoinFacts said sold for $7,500 in 2019.

OINK

• Options

There is a very plausible reason. Proofs were saved and survive in much higher numbers than their companion Mint State examples. While I like Proofs, I don't collect them and appreciate and respect a high grade business strike much more than I do a Proof.

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    i have always found it to be an anomaly that a mint coin of the same grade as a proof coin could possibly sell for 3x the price of a proof of the same grade as was the Hansen 1901 @ $33,600 vs. $7,500 for the PR67.5. Registry set competition????

But this1901 PR67+CAM (Pop1/0) sold for $49,938 in Legend Regency Auction 36........

I understand that it was not CAM when it sold and was later upgraded by PCGS.

oink

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 5:49PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@Perfection said:
    It's sad that so many of the top CAC coins are being cracked and upgraded. So wrong. Also it makes the CAC pops incorrect as many upgrades are not reported. Therefore CAC coins are worth even more. When will this end?

It won’t. That’s why I will no longer do sets...just a box of 20 of coins where the grade on the holder doesn’t create their value

I agree. I've taken another approach. I've concentrated my federal purchases to OGH CAC and OGH Gold CAC where the value is on the "total package" rather then what's on a spanking new label. It adds a layer of mystery and ambiguity. It sure has kept my purchases to a minimum but I'm loving how it's shaping up.

My other two interests skull tokens/ medals and ancients ( raw) are not effected and I'm all about that

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmm, He says he has no comprehension an MS coin can be more valuable than a Proof of the same grade. I take that to mean he thinks the Proofs are worth more.

@MFeld said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

The very post to which you replied “Au Contraire” included an example where a business strike had sold for far more than a Proof.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

So! Had nothing to do with the opinions stated!

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

The very post to which you replied “Au Contraire” included an example where a business strike had sold for far more than a Proof.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 7:49AM

I'm gonna allow the "au contraire" to stand sorry Mark

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang that 08-S is beautiful!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the upgrade from the VG10.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I believe the 1794 67 R/B Weinberg
    half cent would not bring $500,000
    In today’s market . I would also add neither 1793 half cent graded ms 66
    Would bring more than the Eliasberg
    1796 no pole half cent that DL Hanson just won in auction.
    I know factually that Brent Pogue
    Paid $1,500,00 for the coin in 2002
    from Greg Robert’s through David Akers.It is without question the most valuable half cent .

• Options

@RedCopper said:
    I believe the 1794 67 R/B Weinberg
    half cent would not bring $500,000
    In today’s market . I would also add neither 1793 half cent graded ms 66
    Would bring more than the Eliasberg
    1796 no pole half cent that DL Hanson just won in auction.
    I know factually that Brent Pogue
    Paid $1,500,00 for the coin in 2002
    from Greg Robert’s through David Akers.It is without question the most valuable half cent .

I dont think thats the case in todays market, its more a type market today than a half cent variety set market.
    The 1794 half Cent brought 1 Million in the same sale the 1796 brought 760k, and by the way, the 1796 had no underbidder, it was against the reserve of Stacksbowers.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector Now you two get to fight it out for the next gold rarity in a month.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2021 10:57AM

Just got this email.

Landmark 1822 Half Eagle to be Offered in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries March 2021 Auction

Took me a minute to decode TDNs message above. Guess he beat me to it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    @privaterarecoincollector Now you two get to fight it out for the next gold rarity in a month.

Yes, would be interesting, me against Hanson :smile:
    The only problem is thats an AU coin and I rather have Gems.

• Options

@privaterarecoincollector said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Yes, would be interesting, me against Hanson :smile:

You, Hansen and the RESERVE........which will certainly be record setting?

OINK

• Options

New Specimen for the Modern Varieties

For a weekend treat, or maybe just a change, I am posting a modern coin. Mitch, this is for you. As you may know, the Hansen Quest was to expand the Eliasberg Collection another 50 years. In doing so, Mr. Hansen is keeping his set update to current issues. That goal for registry set is completed except for two early half eagles. He has expanded that coin set to include major varieties which how this coin fits into the goal of the collection. The set that I am describing here can be best seen with this PCGS Registry Set: U.S. Coins Complete Set with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1792-present). The set currently requires 4496 coins to complete. PCGS describes the set as: Every U.S. coin in Circulation Strike from 1792 to present, every date, every Mintmark, every major variety, this set is the ultimate challenge. A collection of this size could take many years to assemble. The collector who completes this set in high grade would make numismatic history. Are you up to the challenge? The Hansen set is 98.67% with a GPA rating of 61.68. I estimate the PGCS value of this set to be in the excess of a $100 Million Dollars.

The new 2000-P SAC$1 "Cheerios" Dollar is the newest addition on the post 1964 side of the set. The coin is described by Jaime Hernandez: In 1999 the Mint had to provide General Mills 5,500 Sacagawea Dollars for an agreed promotion. In the promotion General Mills would place 5,500 Sacagawea Dollars inside every 2,000th box of Cheerios. In 2005, collector Tom DeLorey discovered that some of these 5,500 Sacagawea Dollars had a special detailed design on the reverse of the coin. This different design had detailed veins in the eagles' tail feathers. Uncirculated and including Proof coins lacked these fine details on the eagles feathers. After the initial discovery the hunt was on and collectors searched to see if they had this scarce design referred to as the Cheerios Dollars since the coins were only being found inside Cheerios boxes. After several years only several dozen examples were actually found. Who knows how many are still out there, but finding one would definitely be an incredible find.

Current PCGS Population Report indicates 127 coins have been certified. There are 53 certified MS68 PCGS Cheerios with one sole specimen at MS68+. The sole finest specimen has not appeared in auction and the value has not been determined. The auction record is $29,900 for a MS68 PCGS specimen sold in a Heritage 2008 Signature Auction. Is this the MS68+ specimen, I cannot be sure. It appear the peak for this coin was in 2008 when two sales of the MS68 Cheerios broke the $20K mark. The previous mentioned at $29,900 and one other at $23,000. The value for a MS 68 coin has settled in current sales to around $6000 to $10,000. I think Mr. Hansen paid a premium for his recent purchase.

2000-P SAC$1 "Cheerios" Dollar “FS-902” MS68 PCGS

The coin was purchased in Heritage 2021 FUN US Coins Signature Auction. It was headlined as: 2000-P 'Cheerios' Dollar, MS68, Significant Modern Variety Rarity. The lot came with an example of a one cent that also found in a Cheerios box. I believe the one cent was uncertified. The auctioneer described the lot as: A beautifully preserved example of the so-called "Cheerios" dollar, among the finest pieces certified and conditionally scarce as such. The fine detailing on the eagle's tailfeathers distinguishes this piece from the common circulation coins issued in 2000. This piece was among the coins distributed in boxes of Cheerios breakfast cereal as a promotional give-away. Also included in the promotion was a newly struck 2000 Lincoln cent, although the "Cheerios" cents have no distinguishing feature to differentiate them from the masses of ordinary coins struck for circulation. The "Cheerios" dollar, however, stands as an important variety for the Sacagawea dollar collector and is the undisputed key to the series. This piece is fully struck and practically pristine, showing satiny golden surfaces. Includes the Lincoln cent from the cereal promotion as well.

I am not sure why Mr. Hansen chased this coin to $15,000. The PCGS price guide valued the coin at $8,000. By looking hard, I feel a specimen could be found for less. There may be something special that Mr. Hansen and his team see in this particular specimen. It is a really nice coin that now can be tucked away in this great collection.

Provenance: FUN US Coins Signature (Heritage 1/2021), lot 4408, realized $15,000, D. L. Hansen Collection

2000-P SAC$1 "Cheerios" Dollar “FS-902” MS68 PCGS
    PCGS POP 53/1
    Certification #40756595, PCGS #147231
    PCGS Coin Guide Value: $8,000 / Realized $15,000

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had heard of these Cheerios dollars, but did not have the background. "detailed veins in the eagle's tail feathers". $15,000. Indeed. We are an odd bunch of ducks.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I am not sure why Mr. Hansen chased this coin to $15,000. The PCGS price guide valued the coin at $8,000. By looking hard, I feel a specimen could be found for less.”

Agreed. An exuberant price in today’s market, but not even the cost of a buyer’s premium on many coins being added to this collection regularly.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@RedCopper said:
    Maybe Mr. Hansen also got the box of Cheerios with the coin ?

Maybe it was a wash with the PanPac?

• Options

Love the look of that Pan Pac sure looks nice for a 64

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I love when you react on impulse Dell Loy.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DLHansen It would be nice if you could find a way to employ Currin, perhaps to write a book on your collection. Given the expanse and time it will take to complete your collection, it would take years to finish so it would be great to start now! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@DLHansen said:
    Catbert. Ron would be a perfect historian. I collect for fun and joy of the hunt. I enjoy seeing a large number of collectors succeed. It is less a competition and more a team sport were a number of people enjoy the beauty in The Quest. We all only hold these coin temporarily and find joy in seeking do that which is best. I honestly do not feel bad when someone gains a coin that I was seeking. Knowing that someone has found something that means a lot to them is also a joy.
    I really enjoy peoples criticics as we examine coins relative to other coins. That helps me a lot. Any advice is always appreciated

DellLoy Sometimes the voice recording says different words and I’m really saying so you may have to correct this post.

Great post. I appreciate your perspective on collecting. I would like to meet you some day and chat about coins.

• Options

@DLHansen said:
    Catbert. Ron would be a perfect historian. I collect for fun and joy of the hunt. I enjoy seeing a large number of collectors succeed. It is less a competition and more a team sport were a number of people enjoy the beauty in The Quest. We all only hold these coin temporarily and find joy in seeking do that which is best. I honestly do not feel bad when someone gains a coin that I was seeking. Knowing that someone has found something that means a lot to them is also a joy.
    I really enjoy peoples criticics as we examine coins relative to other coins. That helps me a lot. Any advice is always appreciated

DellLoy Sometimes the voice recording says different words and I’m really saying so you may have to correct this post.

Nice post especially the ending which snuck in there! :smiley:

• Options

Upgrade from the Dahlonega Mint

This little gold dollar is from the Dahlonega Mint. It is written on a popular online site: The Dahlonega Mint was a former branch of the United States Mint built during the Georgia Gold Rush to help the miners get their gold assayed and minted, without having to travel to the Philadelphia Mint. It was located in Dahlonega, Lumpkin County, Georgia. When the American Civil War broke out in 1861, the Dahlonega Mint was seized by the Confederates. It is believed that after the Confederates took over the mint in 1861, that some gold dollars and half eagles were minted under the authority of the Confederate States Government. The exact number of 1861-D gold dollars produced is unknown, while approximately 1,597 1861-D half eagles were struck. Because of their relatively low mintage, all Dahlonega-minted gold coins are rare. It is generally accepted that gold coins estimated to exceed $6 million were minted here. After the end of the Civil War, The United States Government decided against reopening the mint.

There are 58 coin required for the Dahlonega Gold Basic Circulation Strikes (1838-1861) Set. PCGS describes that set as: This is one of the most historic of all coin sets, covering the Trail of Tears through the early days of the Civil War when Rebel forces captured the Dahlonega Mint. The gold dollar set features the 1861-D, a rarity with an unknown mintage that was struck after the Confederacy took charge of the Mint. The quarter eagles include the ultra-rare 1856-D, with only 874 pieces struck. The $3 gold piece of 1854-D is the only Dahlonega Mint $3 issued. The $5 pieces are rounded out by the classic 1861-D. Everything is here to remind us of an era that is gone forever. Magnificent rarities and a huge and passionate collector base add up to a great set.

There are additional dozen coins needed if you desire to complete the set with Major Varieties. The D.L. Hansen Collection has a complete 70 piece set. If you appreciate only GEM coins as Bruce and Oliver, then this set is not for you. I don’t know for sure, but the total GEM count in all denominations is extremely low. One of the best graded sets of All-Times, The Green Pond Collection, the best coins were MS64 specimens. Eliasberg, Newcomer, and Pittman Collections did not have any GEMs. The Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection best coins are estimated grade MS63s. The only MS65 GEM that I can find in the registry is from the Harry Bass Collection, 1845-D $5 MS65 PCGS Certification purchased from the Norweb collection auction conducted by Bowers and Merena in October, 1987. I know there are a few other Dahlonega Mint GEMs in NGC holders. The highest graded coin in the D.L. Hansen Collection is the "king" of the gold dollars, 1861-D G$1 MS64+ specimen purchased in September 2020 from the Bob Simpson Sale for $180,000.

Although the Hansen Collection does not contain any GEM Dahlonega specimens, the collection does have a few really nice coins. With this upgrade, the collection has four PCGS POP 1/0 sole finest specimens. There is another six tied for finest certified by PCGS. A total 30 of the coins are Condition Census PCGS Top Five.

1856-D Gold One Dollar MS62+

This is as best grade that you will find in a PCGS certified holder. Doug Winter wrote: Like the 1855-D, the 1856-D is a date whose rarity has been widely overstated. In his 1965 gold dollar monograph, Breen estimated that “fewer than a dozen” examples existed. While the actual number is substantially greater, this is still a very scarce coin. The 1856-D gold dollar is a scarce coin. It is most often seen in Very Fine and lower end Extremely Fine. It is rare in Extremely Fine-45 and very rare in the lower About Uncirculated grades. In About Uncirculated-55 and About Uncirculated-58, it is extremely rare. In properly graded Mint State, this remains one of the rarest Dahlonega gold issues.

This is the first appearance for a MS62+ coin. The coin does not appear to be the Green Pond specimen which some specialists consider the finest. As appeared in a 2004 Heritage sale, We can account for four or five Uncirculated coins, of which the Green Pond Collection example is unquestionably the finest. I believe this statement was provided by Doug Winter. If this new Hansen coin at some point is proven not to be the finest, it still should remain high in the condition census report.

The coin was won by Mr. Hansen in David Lawrence Rare Coins Auction. The auction was Super Sunday Sale that took place the Sunday which was a week before the Super Bowl. David Lawrence Rare Coins (DLRC) concluded its first DLRC Super Sunday Sale on the evening of January 31st with record-breaking results. The first offering of this special auction event included a fantastic array of Scarce US Gold issues along with their next offering of coins de-accessioned from the greatest collection of U.S. Coins, the D.L. Hansen Collection. With a total of 181 lots offered, over 110 coins found new homes with collectors, realizing over $500,000 from the special event. The 1856-D Gold One Dollar MS62+ was the top seller realizing $87,500, a new Auction Record.

DLRC described the coin as: The sole finest known example of this elusive issue from an original mintage of only 1,460 coins. This stunning specimen is well struck but shows the characteristic weakness at the U of UNITED and the 5 of the date. Satiny, clean surfaces are aglow with bright luster and ideal warm yellow-golden color. An incredibly preserved survivor worthy of the discerning branch mint collector. PCGS+ grade for premium quality at the top of end of the assigned grade.

There was no additional pedigree information that I could find on this coin. It does make for a great upgrade to a great collection.

Provenance: Super Sunday Sale (DLRC 1/2021), DLRC Inventory 2225977, realized $87,500, D.L. Hansen Collection.

1856-D Gold One Dollar MS62+, PCGS POP 1/0
    Certification #41489655, PCGS #7543
    PCGSGV: $90,000 / realized $87,500

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's hanson? THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

blitzdude, no disrespect intended sir but are you serious or...........

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the TV, my first reaction was why "only" 65? Methinks the grading standards for these are strict.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file