Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World / Hard Copy or Electronic Copy?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the first time in years, I subscribed to a coin periodical. Received my first “hard” copy of Coin World yesterday.

I quit subscribing because the last time I had Numismatic News, I rarely received a “hard” copy. When I researched why this was the case, I discovered that most of the copies were electronic versions. I felt that this was kind of deceptive, because I do not believe that this was explained in the advertisement when I subscribed.

Anywho, when Coin World sent me their advertisement, it gave me the option of electronic (weekly), hard copy (monthly), or both. I have always liked Coin World, so I subscribed for 1 year of “hard” copies. At a very good price!

I am old school, and like to have a magazine that I can take with me anywhere that I go. When I am walking my dog in town, or out in the woods, I like to pull my magazine out and read a good coin article.

Anybody else here who prefers the “hard” copy of the periodical, instead of the “electronic” copy?

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard copy for me.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the electronic version, but either is good.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can read the electronic version on your phone while out.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

I get the hard copy monthly Coin World too. I prefer the hard copy of magazines. I tried e-version only for awhile but found out that e-versions were easy for me to ignore! It’s harder to ignore something in the mail box and on the coffee table. So I re-focused my various subscriptions and get about 6 hard copy magazines per month covering my various interests.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm definitely "old school" - been getting the hard copy of Coin World for over 50 years.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree, because I like the hard copy. You can take it anywhere and refer to it whenever you want. It is a physical thing not just something in cyberspace.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Hard copy for me, for all my subscriptions.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer electronic copy. I used to have hard copy for at least 5 years but in electronic version since 2014. Easier to access old issues as far back as 2014 and I can read it at any type of device whenever or wherever I may be. When I go on overseas vacation long flight, I download multiple issues on my tablet or ipad to read on a long flight or train ride.
    The other good advantage is no local mail carrier or neighbor sees that I collect coins.
    Thanks.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a big difference in the monthly vs weekly print edition?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I also prefer hard copies for most things and used to have a print subscription to Coin World. However, I now subscribe only to the electronic version. All the other periodicals I receive are the hard copy versions.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭

I have always enjoyed reading the "hard copy", but have run out of room to store the back issues. Just getting the electronic version now.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer hard copy - but as mentioned earlier, if it doesn't show up in my mailbox 'anonymously' then that is a problem.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the stack of coin magazines reached 4 feet tall, I quit buying the hard copies and elected instead to go with the electronic when available.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 7:23PM

@JimW said:
    I prefer hard copy - but as mentioned earlier, if it doesn't show up in my mailbox 'anonymously' then that is a problem.

My magazine was received with a discreet plastic wrapping. It showed Amos Press as a return address, and my address. Absolutely no indication it was a coin publication.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

People still get physical mail?😉

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribed to Coin World from 1965 to about 2015. It just got so small that it only took 5 minutes to read it so I dropped the subscription.

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I have electronic subscriptions to Coin World, Coinage, and get Coins and Numismatic News for free on Zinio through my library. I like to read them in bed before bedtime. However, I do enjoy hard copies better. Don't know how to explain it, but I find it's easier to swipe through the pages on the iPad, where I read more articles in a hard copy.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the Coin World Monthly in hardcopy. I sniff the ink in the mag and get high on coins.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the hard copy version. When I am done I leave it at various waiting rooms to pass along the hobby info to others.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question.
    Don't they do both with a standard issue, after all its just a flick of the wrist to send the file to a mailing list or the printing company.

(A) When you subscribe to a electronic issue you can store the volume in your pc and reference the info when needed.
    (B) A hard copy, to me, would be a more comfortable read, as you please.
    I do realize the cost effectiveness to a customer or maybe just go to a Staples or Fed Ex.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped subscribing back in 2004, after one of those life altering experiences. I have since resubscribed to firearm magazines (hard copy), but not coin magazines. I have picked up copies at the bookstore, but now they stopped carrying them. Might look at electronic copies. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

@JimW said:

My magazine was received with a discreet plastic wrapping. It showed Amos Press as a return address, and my address. Absolutely no indication it was a coin publication.

Thanks @CoinHoarder - that is the way I remember it back when I last subscribed - but wondered if that may have changed.
    To add a little to this thread - the story of my most enjoyable hard-copy read of CoinWorld:
    Back in the early 90's, I planned to go primitive camping on a nearby National Forest. I had received CW earlier in the week but held off on reading it - planning to do so while camping. Although it was October in upstate NY, it turned out my camping day was in the low '70s temperature in the afternoon. So I enjoyed very much sitting comfortably in the woods next to a campfire while reading CW as Fall leaves were falling all around :smile:

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I am online almost all of my waking hours, for magazines and newspapers I much prefer in print.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribed for 40 years, and always read it cover to cover. I switched to the electronic version last year, and don't even look at most issues. I may be going back to the print version.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the full subscription to Coin World; I have both weekly and monthly editions coming. Personally, I prefer the hard copy.

I have had plenty of digital magazines over the years but I’ve moved back to paper. Maybe it’s nostalgia, maybe it is not having a glowing device always in front of me. It’s just more enjoyable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file