Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you store your coins?

I personally have a slab case like this

I also have a couple whitman books for my state quarters and America the beautiful quarters. I try to keep my collection small as I don’t have much space. What about you guys??

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 4:28PM

I would make sure that case is made of archival quality materials. Maybe also crop your pictures to remove all the unrelated graphics.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I would make sure that case is made of archival quality materials. Maybe also crop your pictures to remove all the unrelated graphics.

The material isn’t great but it holds the slabs as intended

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I store most of my slabs in the PCGS box in my safe deposit box. And I have had copper coins in there for over 10 years without any visible change.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 10:20PM

Slabbed coins in Intercept Shield boxes in a safety deposit box with a couple large desiccant packs in the sdb with them.

Albums and loose raw coins in SAFlips in generic Tupperware style containers with desiccant packs inside, also throw in some copper foil as a sacrificial oxidation scavenger to absorb atmospheric corrosion things. Every once in a while scratch up the surface of the copper foil with sandpaper to make it more reactive. Homemade intercept shield 🛡

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

My # 5 Registry set in a custom wooden box. All my slabbed ( 90% PCGS ) either in Intercept Shield or PCGS boxes. Dansco albums ( 37 or so ) Bulk common date in plastic tubes. All of it stored in a 54 ct gun safe with dessicants ( 5 ) refreshed every 3 months. I won't comment on security measures but trust me. You DO NOT want to go there.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 10:04PM

Super-sophisticated, high-tech fortress. And a PCGS and NGC box.

Edited to add : I live in the desert and in a place where I’m not really a target.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a mixture between the safe that I keep in my basement and some Dansco albums that I keep in the living room steamer trunk

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

every time I buy something that has those gel packs, I save them and toss them in the safe.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 11:05PM

Palo display cases for my best stuff; cheaper display trays and eagle slab pages for most of the rest of my slabbed coins; and Dansco albums for for my raw stuff.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Discretely.

:)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a safe, in a coin cabinet, in albums, in boxes, in a bank bag, in jars, on a shelf by the desk. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:

Edited to add : I live in the desert and in a place where I’m not really a target.

Looks good, but the cheese might be an issue....especially in the desert. 😂

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    every time I buy something that has those gel packs, I save them and toss them in the safe.

Those silica gel packs are single use (i.e., once saturated, they no longer absorb moisture).

A rechargeable dehumidifier might be a better solution. They typically include an indicator that changes color when it needs to be reactivated (i.e., dried in an oven).
    Examples: https://www.dehumidify.com/rechargeable-hydrosorbent-dehumidifiers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

And let's not forget ammo cans! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:

Shaun, just an FYI. There is some super dangerous stuff in that box. I see PVC plastics. Those "Coin Wallets" are already deteriorating, and in a tub like that I bet you can smell it when you open and it's been closed too long. You may want to make sure you get that stuff out of there.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @pursuitofliberty
    Are the coin wallets a bad thing? I’m not even sure where the lid to the big box is. It hasn’t been shut in a long time.
    The Velveeta box is great for discreetly storing coins. It’s part of the sophistication :wink:

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shaun, PVC based plastics are a bad thing near coin and currency surfaces, and those particular wallets are made out of a somewhat reactive PVC. I would remove and maybe check the flips in there as well. Read up on how to detect PVC in holders. So many good coins have been ruined by PVC storage, it is hard to express enough importance.

Love the Velveeta box! An almost perfect size for Slabs!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Dansco albums (6 or so), One British made blue album for the Victorian type set, and Intercept Shield box for the slabs. All are in safe deposit boxes.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, my coin dealer, who is no longer in business, had some old 35 mm slide metal storage cases that hold 2X2 slides. Of course, they are perfect for holding 2X2 cardboard coin holders.

I bought the three or four that he had for a few bucks each. Very secure case for holding, and carrying your coins.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Years ago, my coin dealer, who is no longer in business, had some old 35 mm slide metal storage cases that hold 2X2 slides. Of course, they are perfect for holding 2X2 cardboard coin holders.

I bought the three or four that he had for a few bucks each. Very secure case for holding, and carrying your coins.

Agree, those things are great for 2 by 2s!

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Thanks @pursuitofliberty
    Are the coin wallets a bad thing? I’m not even sure where the lid to the big box is. It hasn’t been shut in a long time.
    The Velveeta box is great for discreetly storing coins. It’s part of the sophistication :wink:

Unless the thieves get hungry mid-heist...

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

in a old CD case

Coins are for sale at the link below :) **
    **https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcAc6gj51c26g72WA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file