Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most popular larger 20th century coin?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the most popular larger 20th century coin?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkers is my bet.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote Peace dollar as it provides a complete 20th century collection of dollars.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Morgan dollar on the poll.... However, @PerryHall is correct, the Saint Gaudens should be on the list. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

I would say the Morgan dollar because not everyone has resources to collect saints and everyone loves a big silver piece.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliminating all 1800s for the Morgan dollar, the Walker half gets my vote.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dollars are very common so by larger I thought you meant something like the Pan Pac slugs :o

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

dollars got my vote, walkers come in right behind it

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Morgan Dollar has a huge collector base, but the general public didn't want them. I voted for the Walker because it circulated and it also a smaller, but significant collector base.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I would say Morgan's. Almost every collector has at least one Morgan Dollar in it. Saints while very cool and so forth, not near the same number of people have one of these in their collection.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace dollars. Although WLH are a closer if not adorably smaller runner up. I would say Morgan’s but they’re ubiquitously 19th century even if their run extended into the 20th cen

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

That’s why Walkers got my vote as well.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Morgan Dollar has a huge collector base, but the general public didn't want them. I voted for the Walker because it circulated and it also a smaller, but significant collector base.

Walkers are actually a good place to put your money in. Many coins are NOT fully struck and you can get fully struck coins for little or no premium compared to not fully struck coins. There is no FH or FB designations for Walkers which helps.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 2:12PM

The Kennedy Half. Millions of people who don't consider themselves to be coin collectors have a stash of Kennedy Half dollars. Your great aunt Eunice in Des Moines most likely still has the stash of them uncle Fred left behind. Your neighbor across the street most likely keeps every one that he ever got in change. Heck,....everybody collects Kennedy Halfs. That makes them.....POPULAR!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess youse guys and gals can see my biased single lone vote! :#

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 2:41PM

the WL half still popular on the SAE's, so it has some staying power.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

Worldwide? Kennedy?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why no Mercury dime selection?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Morgan guy and have drank the VAM koolaid. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker's have my vote. Unimaginable that any other 20th Century coin can compare to the beauty and complexity of design.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    The Kennedy Half. Millions of people who don't consider themselves to be coin collectors have a stash of Kennedy Half dollars. Your great aunt Eunice in Des Moines most likely still has the stash of them uncle Fred left behind. Your neighbor across the street most likely keeps every one that he ever got in change. Heck,....everybody collects Kennedy Halfs. That makes them.....POPULAR!

My kids don’t even know what they are and how much they are worth. I am not sure aunt Eunice is the authority on popularity but maybe your town is different

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I think of Morgans I think of a 19th century series. That's one reason I chose Walkers.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guessed Franklins only because a nice set can be assembled at a reasonable price and they have some age. I hope I'm wrong as Walkers would be my personal choice if I were back into sets. Morgans clearly the most popular if one considers them 20th century coins. All the "sometime" collectors ("oh yeah I collect coins too") I meet collect Morgans or bullion,

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

Exactly my thoughts!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Why no Mercury dime selection?

Maybe a large pic of one could qualify? ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not voting because Jeffersons are way bigger than cents and dimes and cooler than Washington's.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I agree. Beautiful design, collectible in both MS and PR-albeit some pricey pieces, Common issues a bargain-short sets.The WLH series has it all IMO!

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2021 5:34AM

Just guessing, ASE...

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Pan Pac $50. I think you should have had an "other" in the poll.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file