Home U.S. Coin Forum

Review designs for the 2021 Morgan Silver dollars and the 2021 Peace Silver dollars...

cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

United States Mint

Notification of Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee January 19, 2021, Public Meeting ACTION: Notice of meeting.
Pursuant to United States Code, Title 31, section 5135(b)(8)(C), the United States Mint announces the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) teleconference public meeting scheduled for January 19, 2021. Date: January 19, 2021. Time: 10:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Location: This meeting will occur via teleconference. Interested members of the public may dial in to listen to the meeting at (888) 330–1716; Access Code: 1137147.

Subject: Review and discussion of obverse and reverse candidate designs for the 2021 ‘‘Morgan’’ and ‘‘Peace’’ silver dollars authorized by Public Law 116–286, the 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act.

Interested persons should call the CCAC HOTLINE at (202) 354–7502 for the latest update on meeting time and access information. The CCAC advises the Secretary of the Treasury on any theme or design proposals relating to circulating coinage bullion coinage, Congressional Gold Medals, and national and other medals; advises the Secretary of the Treasury with regard to the events, persons, or places to be commemorated by the issuance of commemorative coins in each of the five calendar years succeeding the year in which a commemorative coin designation is made; and makes recommendations with respect to the mintage level for any commemorative coin recommended. For members of the public interested in listening in to the provided call number, this is a reminder that the public attendance is for listening purposes only.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression (and perhaps mistakenly) that the designs were decided upon already. Evidently not. Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine the design would be just a very minor alteration from the historical designs. Hope they don’t mess this up.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I was under the impression (and perhaps mistakenly) that the designs were decided upon already. Evidently not. Cheers, RickO

As was I, given they were released by the Director of the Mint. Not sure what they'd have to say on the matter anymore, especially since the design itself was supposed to be true to the original design. They might comment on how it should or shouldn't be produced. Polish the Morgan dies to have DMPL surfaces and let the mirrors age like they did originally. The Peace dollar actually needs some work. The 0 needs to be rounder and moved a little to the right, and the field needs to have more curvature. Why was the 1922-35 reverse used with a lowered relief 1921 obverse?

Maybe I'll listen in, maybe I'll forget.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

This could be the comm coins which could actually interest collectors.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

US mint: let’s get away from this whole “lady liberty and eagle” design stuff

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the info ✌

that would be — amazing

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible to utilize the original hub and transfer design to a hub that could create a current technology die?

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@TurtleCat said:
    I would imagine the design would be just a very minor alteration from the historical designs. Hope they don’t mess this up.

Like finally fixing that screwed up U on the Peace dollar?

When I was in grade school and first gave the Peace dollar a hard look, I swore that “V” must be some kind of typo and wondered how that could happen, lol!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 4:34AM

@fathom said:
    Would it be possible to utilize the original hub and transfer design to a hub that could create a current technology die?

These may not be in great condition any more. Anyone know if still exist and what condition they are in?

Imagine if original dies existed and they used those, at least for the reverse?

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I hope they dont use the 1921 Morgan obverse. Never liked the pointy chin and the hair is different i think.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mint honors the 100th anniversary of the 1921 Morgan dollar and the 1921 Peace dollar, how can they not use the same design? Anything else wouldn't make any sense.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If the mint honors the 100th anniversary of the 1921 Morgan dollar and the 1921 Peace dollar, how can they not use the same design? Anything else wouldn't make any sense.

I hear you and thought of that but since the designs are very close i dont see a big issue in using the older design. Could just be me though.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

If a committee is involved, they will mess it up. Look at the 2014 gold Kennedy halves, and 2016 dime, quarter and half.

thefinn

@thefinn said:

@TurtleCat said:

If a committee is involved, they will mess it up. Look at the 2014 gold Kennedy halves, and 2016 dime, quarter and half.

The first sold 2014 gold Kennedy half sold for $100,000!

I wonder if they will strike gold or 5oz versions of these?

@cagcrisp said:
    the United States Mint announces the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) teleconference public meeting scheduled for January 19, 2021. Date: January 19, 2021. Time: 10:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Location: This meeting will occur via teleconference. Interested members of the public may dial in to listen to the meeting at (888) 330–1716; Access Code: 1137147.

Subject: Review and discussion of obverse and reverse candidate designs for the 2021 ‘‘Morgan’’ and ‘‘Peace’’ silver dollars authorized by Public Law 116–286, the 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act.

Interested persons should call the CCAC HOTLINE at (202) 354–7502 for the latest update on meeting time and access information.

Anyone going to attend this? Could be interesting :)

@airplanenut said:

@TurtleCat said:

Like finally fixing that screwed up U on the Peace dollar?

Lol, I guess it’s from having an interest in history at a young age but I never questioned the V styling in trust. It was a bit of minor flare and style that’s been missing in US coinage since 1947, IMO.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The first sold 2014 gold Kennedy half sold for $100,000!

you mean """""sold"""""

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 4:05PM

https://www.ccac.gov/contactUS/index.html

Contact Us
    Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee
    801 9th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20220

Email address: info@ccac.gov

Recorded meeting information line: 202-354-7502

Contact Us - they're begging to hear our opinions!

which is to use the 1921 morgan and peace designs, and to make the peace in the original HR.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@Zoins said:

I really want to see these in 5 oz, but feel that's unlikely

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Zoins said:

I'd like to think the Mint has the option to issue these in 5oz if the wanted to, Do we know for sure?

@stockdude_ said:
    I hope they dont use the 1921 Morgan obverse. Never liked the pointy chin and the hair is different i think.

That is the 1921 obverse, but lower relief. I hope they don't make the field as flat as it is on the Morgan.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Zoins said:

I'd like to think the Mint has the option to issue these in 5oz if the wanted to, Do we know for sure?

Yes we know for sure.
    The Mint can’t do 5 oz. because the legislation does not permit it.
    The diameter of the coins must be 1.50 inches.
    Weight must be 26.73 grams...

ugh 😒

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm why is there a review? There are a gazillion examples of the real deal - just copy it. Dan Carr could do this on a weekend. I literally hate government employees.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    Umm why is there a review? There are a gazillion examples of the real deal - just copy it. Dan Carr could do this on a weekend. I literally hate government employees.

Maybe a lunch is included. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do I have the feeling that they will take a fantastic design (Peace Dollar) and ruin it?

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

:)

Both of these are 50mm overall, with the coin icons at actual size (38mm):

call's beginning now, roll call and weather check ❄

888-330-1716
    1137147#

someone muted the presentation a couple minutes ago - no audio now ...

what a disaster - no audio since middle of roll call ..... 😑

1046 eastern, audio finally back ...

ryder administering oath of office to new ccac member, appointed my mnuchin jan 14 2021

arthur bernstein, lifelong collector, lawyer

arthur's golden retriever was also sworn in as his paw was raised 😆

portfolio designs being presented - good a time as any to throw out there - why wasn't this a video call for the public???

heavy stress on "renditions"

p, s , d minted versions

philly will mint morgans w cc and o privies

they don't have original pieces, only fragments of hubs etc

high res scanning and best-we-can digital restoration

same thickness, diameter and fineness of orig

v carefully pieced together best aspects of assets they have to do renditions of new coins that honor orig intent of coins and artists as much as possible

It is encouraging they plan same planchet parameters and will attempt to match the design as it was. Maybe it won’t look too bad.

motion to accept morgan and peace designs - motion seconded - motion accepted and recommended - up for vote - all aye - unanimously approved

I joined a little late, and all they were doing was a lot of collective back slapping before finally voting to recommend the designs and move on to other commemorative issues.

Other than the obvious (date), is there anything else they need to add to the design? Since these are numismatic and not bullion I assume no need for fineness marks or similar.

now discussing declaration of independence commem for 2026

@TurtleCat said:
    Other than the obvious (date), is there anything else they need to add to the design? Since these are numismatic and not bullion I assume no need for fineness marks or similar.

sounded like they were going to stay as true to orig as humanly possible - only variance it sounded like are the p-minted cc and o privies, and that p will unsurprisingly not have p mintmark

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    now discussing declaration of independence commem for 2026

also a $1 declaration commem design

open motion to have a 250th commem for declaration of independence in years either 2023, 2024, 2025 or 2026 - all yea except dennis who neighed 🐎

have to hop into work meeting - would love to hear updates from others on call ✌

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file