Home U.S. Coin Forum

Slab Cleaner?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2021 10:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, I'm sure this question was posted before. Recently I purchased an old rattler slab in very good condition. However, it seems there is a sticker residue left behind. Is there any SAFE solution out there that will remove this substance without any signs of streaks or rub appearance? Thanks guys. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little WD-40 on a very soft cloth should do the trick. ;)
    Rub very soft, don't scrub at it.

Others will be along with suggestions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goo-Gone will work but be VERY careful not to let any of it near any seam. It will leak inside the holder.

All glory is fleeting.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

After using any of these two solutions. Then what to do? How do you remove the solution? Use a wet or damp watered soft cloth or is it even important to do so? Can the solution remain on the slab? Thanks :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Goo-Gone will work but be VERY careful not to let any of it near any seam. It will leak inside the holder.

thanks for that heads up

Kennedys are my quest...

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 10:57AM

This was less than $5 at Walmart (a couple years ago)...it also works unbelievably well on yellowed cloudy headlights :-)
    You wipe some on like wax but don't let it fully dry and then wipe it off with a damp cloth a few times...it's crazy how well it works.

I would try an absolutely tiny amount on a cheap slab first.
    Then offer to charge your neighbor $10 to 'restore' their headlights :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 10:59AM

Goo Gone on paper towel #1. Little goes a long way. Rub gunk off. Take clean, dry paper towel #2 and remove oily residue from slab. Substitute soft cloth for paper towel as desired. Seam should never come into play.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

@joeykoins said:
    After using any of these two solutions. Then what to do? How do you remove the solution? Use a wet or damp watered soft cloth or is it even important to do so? Can the solution remain on the slab? Thanks :)

In the case of Goo Gone I carefully wipe up the excess with a paper towel and set the item aside while any remaining reside evaporates. I never use and other cleaning solution.

All glory is fleeting.

Residue not "reside" in my previous comment.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve used Goo Gone too. I add a drop to a paper plate and then dab the plate with a Q-tip.
    Using the Q-tip gives you great control on how much and where you want to apply it to the slab.
    I use so little that it’s pretty much dry once the residue is removed but I still wipe it good with a lint free cloth.
    That Plastx works great for minor scratches on PCGS slabs. I’ve found nothing that works on NGC slabs. Nothing!

I appreciate ALL your quick replies and suggestions, guys! You are awesome. All you guys are teaching me how to "clean". Almost as much as my wife teaches me. :D Thank You! :)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do NOT use acetone. It will melt the plastic and ruin the slab. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

Is there any solution to repair that damage? After the acetone was used? :*

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reholder service at PCGS will fix the damage.

When in doubt, don't.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@PerryHall said:

Is there any solution to repair that damage? After the acetone was used? :*

No. It will need to be reslabbed. You can try it on a slabbed coin that you are planning to crack out anyway.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 9:07PM

PlastX will remove fine scratches and impart a little oil to the plastic which improves viewing. It will also remove glue residue. One drop per side, rub until almost dry and polish with a clean microfiber cloth.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

and never pour acetone into a styrafoam cup. Only use glass or metal cups.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    This was less than $5 at Walmart (a couple years ago)...it also works unbelievably well on yellowed cloudy headlights :-)
    You wipe some on like wax but don't let it fully dry and then wipe it off with a damp cloth a few times...it's crazy how well it works.

I would try an absolutely tiny amount on a cheap slab first.
    Then offer to charge your neighbor $10 to 'restore' their headlights :wink:

Dude ... you ever "restored" headlights before? I will gladly pay you $10 to restore a set of headlights ... you work cheap! LOL

And yeah, Meguiar's Plastic-X and their professional line of plastic cleaner and polish work very well.

Goo-Gone works well with most slabs. I have tried Goof-Off cleaner in the past and quickly "softened" and "hazed" the plastic on some slabs.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I’ve used Goo Gone too. I add a drop to a paper plate and then dab the plate with a Q-tip.
    Using the Q-tip gives you great control on how much and where you want to apply it to the slab.
    I use so little that it’s pretty much dry once the residue is removed but I still wipe it good with a lint free cloth.
    That Plastx works great for minor scratches on PCGS slabs. I’ve found nothing that works on NGC slabs. Nothing!

This is just right.

The Q-tip is a matter of preference. I usually use a tiny dab of Goo Gone and a soft t-shirt. Like @Downtown said, no need to use something else to clean up. Just wipe a few times with another clean part of the rag.

PlastX is perfect for PCGS slabs. Work slowly and use clean portions of the rag, again and again.

NCG slabs? Good luck. They can be helped a little but not much.
    Lance.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goo Gone has worked for me very well, when removing residues. I do not use another substance to clean the Goo Gone residues, just a soft cloth. Cheers, RickO

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 9:53AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file