Home U.S. Coin Forum

Added new photo's, glutton for punishment.. Peace Fans, Should I have graded, 1927D Peace Dollar

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2021 5:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received, should I grade? Opinion please?

Comments

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a 64. If UNC then 62ish but looks more like 58 to me. Too much friction on cheek, neck, and field left of her face.

mirabela
  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mirabela said:
    Not a 64. If UNC then 62ish but looks more like 58 to me. Too much friction on cheek, neck, and field left of her face.

compare it to the eBay MS64. It was way better then AU but thank you

edited January 11, 2021 4:49PM

Your link only takes me to another picture of the same coin, but here is a pretty decent raw AU that sold recently on eBay that looks comparable in most respects to your coin or maybe a little better. It sold for $99. You could send your coin to PCGS and pay whatever, $50-ish all in I guess, to get them to tell you it's about a $100 coin. Or you could take our word for it, since you asked. Up to you.

mirabela
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the $200 rule, so I would say no.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like AU to me not worth the grading and shipping fees!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has no chance of getting a 64. I see fingerprints and lots of marks/scratches on the surface. The photos are not good enough to tell if there is any wear.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld nailed it perfectly. The coin has a big fingerprint and plenty of surface disturbance. It's AU at best, and it has a strong chance of coming back in a "details" holder. He's a former professional grader, so in my book his comments carry a bit of weight.

edited January 11, 2021 7:36PM
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 7:42PM

au-58, maybe 61 if your lucky.

The coin you show above I agree, a sh tty 64, but is technically UNC

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you'd be wasting your grading money but if you do please update with your results, could be a learning tool for everyone else or just you.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

The argument for your coin is you have seen a different coin in a 64 holder you thought looked worse than yours. Not the way I would recommend evaluating coins.

@jdimmick said:
    au-58, maybe 61 if your lucky.

The coin you show above I agree, a sh tty 64, but is technically UNC

there is no wear on my coin, looks all like from the bag, thanks

Also, no one has commented on the strike, the lettering, very good detail verses others that I have seen,

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 if it would grade.
    Looks like quite a few hairlines from the old "dip and wipe dry with the coarsest towel you can find" trick.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 Congrats on your purchase, it looks nice! :)

Very good chance the grade estimates given here are close.
    If I were sending it in on my dime I would expect an AU-58 and would hope for a 62.
    The the obverse of your coin has too many contact marks and scratches for a 64.
    The 64 you posted may be closer to a 3 than a 4.

What would you guess the grade of this coin?

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Also, no one has commented on the strike, the lettering, very good detail verses others that I have seen,

You asked for opinions and then argued when presented with them. That might have something to do with it.

Just sayin'.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @Joe_360 Congrats on your purchase, it looks nice! :)

Very good chance the grade estimates given here are close.
    If I were sending it in on my dime I would expect an AU-58 and would hope for a 62.
    The the obverse of your coin has too many contact marks and scratches for a 64.
    The 64 you posted may be closer to a 3 than a 4.

What would you guess the grade of this coin?

The coin on eBay has a boxers gash above liberty's eyes. Yes, my coin has starches no doubt, but they're hair line - Liberty's hair is not worn, it full and flowing -

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 8:40PM

Not worth grading IMO

What do you think the grade is on the one I posted?

@MasonG said:

@Joe_360 said:

You asked for opinions and then argued when presented with them. That might have something to do with it.

Just sayin'.

You are right sir I asked for options and I am reading each one, I respect each also, I just don't roll over

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Let me just say, I've seen worst graded higher. Maybe standards have hanged. This Dollar shows well. I shake my head what I see on eBay on this issue and this Dollar has many qualities - Thank you

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has a decent strike and probably decent naked eye arms length eye appeal,

However, op, this group is excellent at ' reading" images, and I agree your coin looks lightly circulated, some notable marks and wipes on the obverse, and a fingerprint on the back.

If you think that's a 64, many here, including me, can sell you a nicer 27D as a 64. Thise back and forth skitches in front of the face are brutal to the grade. Just imho

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Looks as good as a 64

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say send it in and add it to your learning curve. If it's a 64 or 58 or somewhere in between, you will be able to improve or confirm you thoughts. Grading fees are not that much if sent with a bunch of others.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited January 11, 2021 9:11PM

@Baley said:
    The coin has a decent strike and probably decent naked eye arms length eye appeal,

However, op, this group is excellent at ' reading" images, and I agree your coin looks lightly circulated, some notable marks and wipes on the obverse, and a fingerprint on the back.

If you think that's a 64, many here, including me, can sell you a nicer 27D as a 64. Thise back and forth skitches in front of the face are brutal to the grade. Just imho

No where in my comments did I say that my Dollar was MS64, I said compared to the MS64 on eBay, mine was the same or better - I stand by that, I posted the wrong link at first - sorry, that MS 64 looks like scrap and I give two if you used to grade.

I asked for you opinions and I got it - I will not be the first to comment back that some here only comment negative and not provide any positive - some have and I thankyou for that.

Let me just say, I bought this Dollar for about $12.50 in 2020 W quarters... Thanks

Yep, but looks can be deceiving. ;)

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37706861

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Yep, but looks can be deceiving. ;)

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37706861

Thank you, I appreciate that. Thanks

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should send it in for grading. The lesson you will learn about how off your grading skills are currently at will far out surpass the cost of grading.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike is only one factor in grading. Have you gone to CoinFacts images and compared your coin to those shown “64 or better”?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't slab. I imagine the coin has better luster in hand than the photos show (please rotate them 90 degrees), but there really are some distracting scrapes and light scratches with friction on key points. It IMO does appear to have a better than average strike, but this also highlights things like the "dent" mark just to the right of Lib's eye in the hair. Assuming that this lighting is giving an unfavorable view this most likely is in the AU58 category, and anything in the 61/2 range would be an absolute blessing.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you paid too much send it back.

@logger7 said:
    If you paid too much send it back.

eBay V75 buyers financed this Dollar, maybe some of the folks on here? $12.50 in 2020 W quarters.. I think that I did okay...

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in. If it gets the grade , well and good. It settles the pettiness.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should submit the coin. You have it in hand, and a strong belief in the grade/quality. There are others here that have a different opinion. Good luck and please let us know the results. Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 62.
    Somewhere around here I've got a nice former NGC 62 that I cracked out for a set...

Collector, occasional seller

For $12.50 in quarters and whatever it took in time and money to list and ship them, I'd say you did well.

mirabela
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eBay coin is actually better than your coin. You may be distracted by the crustiness of the eBay coin which is secondary to the surface condition. Your coin might be better than AU, pictures can deceive, but it is definitely no better than a 62 given the distracting marks in the obverse field to the left of the bust and the dings on the cheek and hair.

@Joe_360 said:

Strike is really not much of an issue on a 58 to 62 coin. That said, that doesn't strike me (ha!) as an exceptional strike.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Strike is only one factor in grading. Have you gone to CoinFacts images and compared your coin to those shown “64 or better”?

@Joe_360 I’d be curious if you took my advice. Would like to learn your thoughts after doing so.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@Catbert said:

@Catbert said:

@Joe_360 I’d be curious if you took my advice. Would like to learn your thoughts after doing so.

I did beefily, but will return and appreciate it (I had to work today...) Their is a another post on a Peace Dollar (1922 D) that is graded at a MS66+ and most think that it's not - by a lot.

So I posted that grading is subjected, opinionated and not a science.. Yes, people are trained and have the right tools, but at the end of the day, it's up to the induvial..

I do appreciate your guidance, I appreciate all the feedback, although some could use some tack.

Thank you Catbert, I hope to hear from you again, Joe

@Catbert said:

@Catbert said:

Hi Catbert, I have already been told that I cannot grade and should go do my homework, so my opinion will probably be laughed at by my Fan-Club... . After revisiting CoinFacts, my coin is a 63/64 if those pictures on CoinFacts are accurate.

My Reverse looks so much better than the MS6S on CF - I am holding the coin under magnification - I work for Zeiss...

From Peace Dollar Guide site: The 1927D issue is typically well produced although circulation took a heavy toll, making higher grade mint state examples in the distinct minority.

Thank you again, Joe

Hey Joe,

I posted a GTG on a 1927 it's not a D but take a look.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Hey Joe,

I posted a GTG on a 1927 it's not a D but take a look.

Sorry, what is GTG? Thanks

• It is a circulated Peace Dollar, it is quite obvious. All those marks, some of which are not hairline scratches @9:00 o'clock on the Obverse make it so, as well as the marks on the cheek of Lady Liberty.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@Catbert said:

@Catbert said:

Hi Catbert, I have already been told that I cannot grade and should go do my homework, so my opinion will probably be laughed at by my Fan-Club... . After revisiting CoinFacts, my coin is a 63/64 if those pictures on CoinFacts are accurate.

My Reverse looks so much better than the MS6S on CF - I am holding the coin under magnification - I work for Zeiss...

From Peace Dollar Guide site: The 1927D issue is typically well produced although circulation took a heavy toll, making higher grade mint state examples in the distinct minority.

Thank you again, Joe

Joe, I’m well aware that you didn’t like my comments. But please ask yourself - has a single poster to this thread guessed that the coin could grade above MS62? And what grade have most of us estimated? Even if you don’t want to hear it, that should tell you a great deal.

No magnification is necessary to arrive at our grade estimates and for purposes of grading, the reverse of a coin is weighted far less than the obverse.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't the latent prints interfere with a grade above AU? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in and use it as a grading lesson. I did that with a few Walkers when I was starting out. Tried to find a 58, 63, 64, 65 to help learn grading. Used the free vouchers so only paid for shipping.

@Namvet69 said:
    Won't the latent prints interfere with a grade above AU? Peace Roy

No. Why would it? An MS grade doesn't mean it was never touched by human hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file