Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Added new photo's, glutton for punishment.. Peace Fans, Should I have graded, 1927D Peace Dollar

2»

Comments

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the camp that, if you have the disposable funds, you should send it in just for a grading lesson if for no other reason!

Back around 2004, I had a very similar argument with a bunch of experts in a coin group about a GSA Morgan that I had. I was convinced it was a 65 and thought it deserved to go to NGC. After reviewing the pics online, most of the group told me it was no better than a 62 or 63. The pics did show some contact marks (slight rubs), and made some marks look worse than they were, so the coin did not look as good as it did in hand. That's the thing - you have the advantage of seeing the coin in hand.

In my case, I decided to send the coin in, and it got my 65 from NGC. Of course, being competitive, I gloated about it. Didn't need to do that. But, it did teach me to never fully trust online pics - they can show a coin at its best, or its worst.

As for your coin, I believe the coin probably looks better in hand than in the pics. I'm seeing a lot of minor scratches on the neck, face and field in front of the face. I do not see any major distracting hits, though (maybe one at the edge of the hair at 3:00 from the eye, and a couple on the reverse, but nothing too major). I'm not seeing a lot of luster - the pics make the coin look almost like it was dipped a few times to keep it clean. Or, am I wrong about that? I'd be in the camp of AU-53 or MS-63 (tops), based on the pics. But, you have the coin in hand, and can see the coin in all angles and light reflections.

I say, send it in and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

So I posted that grading is subjected, opinionated and not a science.. Yes, people are trained and have the right tools, but at the end of the day, it's up to the induvial..

The only grading that counts is the grading by the buyer.
    The coin is worth what the buyer thinks it is worth and ultimately is willing to pay for the coin.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRocco said:

@Joe_360 said:

So I posted that grading is subjected, opinionated and not a science.. Yes, people are trained and have the right tools, but at the end of the day, it's up to the induvial..

The coin is worth what the buyer thinks it is worth and ultimately is willing to pay for the coin.

If there's only one potential "buyer", perhaps. Otherwise, what "the buyer" thinks is largely irrelevant.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my last "GTG" peace dollar turned out to be a MS63 and I said it was an au50 at best. So my guess of grade would be just that, a guess. I am still suffering from grade shock from the prior coin which was also a 1927 coin. :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@Joe_360 said:

If there's only one potential "buyer", perhaps. Otherwise, what "the buyer" thinks is largely irrelevant.

Yes Mark, I was referring to one buyer one seller in this theoretical.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRocco said:

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@Joe_360 said:

Understood. But part of my point was that a coin isn't necessarily "worth" what a seller can or does get for it in a particular instance. It might easily be worth considerably more or less.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and input. Joe

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:
    I'm in the camp that, if you have the disposable funds, you should send it in just for a grading lesson if for no other reason!

Back around 2004, I had a very similar argument with a bunch of experts in a coin group about a GSA Morgan that I had. I was convinced it was a 65 and thought it deserved to go to NGC. After reviewing the pics online, most of the group told me it was no better than a 62 or 63. The pics did show some contact marks (slight rubs), and made some marks look worse than they were, so the coin did not look as good as it did in hand. That's the thing - you have the advantage of seeing the coin in hand.

In my case, I decided to send the coin in, and it got my 65 from NGC. Of course, being competitive, I gloated about it. Didn't need to do that. But, it did teach me to never fully trust online pics - they can show a coin at its best, or its worst.

As for your coin, I believe the coin probably looks better in hand than in the pics. I'm seeing a lot of minor scratches on the neck, face and field in front of the face. I do not see any major distracting hits, though (maybe one at the edge of the hair at 3:00 from the eye, and a couple on the reverse, but nothing too major). I'm not seeing a lot of luster - the pics make the coin look almost like it was dipped a few times to keep it clean. Or, am I wrong about that? I'd be in the camp of AU-53 or MS-63 (tops), based on the pics. But, you have the coin in hand, and can see the coin in all angles and light reflections.

I say, send it in and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

The picture were taken with an old cell phone directly under a florescent light. I can try to take more and different angles. Many be part of the problem as the coin has "genuine" luster to my eyes.. Thank you for your detailed reply! Joe

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think different pics would be very helpful. We've got one angle with too much light that very well could be flattening areas that you see as lustrous and full. I hope you can get us some different pics to assess. I've gotten a few Peaces this year and am enjoying the threads on them recently.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@Joe_360 said:

Understood. But part of my point was that a coin isn't necessarily "worth" what a seller can or does get for it in a particular instance. It might easily be worth considerably more or less.

Thanks. Now I get what you meant.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 27-D peace in MS62 is still a 250-300 buck coin so assuming you didn't give the moon and stars for it, it is worth grading. If you just paid the moon and not the stars, it may still be worth grading if you have any hopes of getting the most back out of it.

I don't see it grading above 62 either. If you were told you shouldn't grade coins, (have a few good guesses who said that) just keep learning and trying. GTG threads are free, and so is looking at photos online.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au details cleaned. You will not get your money out the grading fees

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting and stimulating an interesting discussion.

The strike is solid, but I think it would grade no higher than AU-55.

I hope you ignore most of the advice and send it in, then post the results.

Vplite99
  • Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    A 27-D peace in MS62 is still a 250-300 buck coin so assuming you didn't give the moon and stars for it, it is worth grading. If you just paid the moon and not the stars, it may still be worth grading if you have any hopes of getting the most back out of it.

I don't see it grading above 62 either. If you were told you shouldn't grade coins, (have a few good guesses who said that) just keep learning and trying. GTG threads are free, and so is looking at photos online.

Thanks, you did not read all of my replies. I paid $12.50 (in cash) in W V75 quarters. My profit margin on W's is right at 71%

Thank you, Joe

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

oh, also, I have a 1921 D Morgan Dollar on GTG right now, please join. Thanks again, Joe

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Thanks, you did not read all of my replies. I paid $12.50 (in cash) in W V75 quarters. My profit margin on W's is right at 71%

Thank you, Joe

Is the value of 1 W V75 quarter .25 cents?

• Options

Also quick question for you. I count 5 maybe 6 distinct finger prints on the coin. Are those yours? You may be handling the coin incorrectly if they are.

• Options

Here's what I'm seeing. The obv has so many I drew lines showing the print line flow. The reverse I circled since they are easier to spot. The ? one looks like at least 1 print but that area is very white washed with light so hard to say for sure if its just 1 print.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Hey Joe,

I posted a GTG on a 1927 it's not a D but take a look.

Sorry, what is GTG? Thanks

Guess The Grade

thefinn
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 7:16AM

Nowhere near 64. But if curious and the money burning a hole in your pocket send it in.

If you think ms send in. It’s a $250 coin in 61. To get all the money Certification helps.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

New photos posted

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much better photos! :)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is your new photo & the photo from my GTG that is a 63.
    Are you still thinking yours is a 64?

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those new photos aren't going to help your cause. Now my guess is au details.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

Agreed.
    Look at the halos around the lettering.
    Indicative of a cleaning.
    Lots of hairlines as well.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

I would also like to change my vote to AU details. Sorry but the new photos do not show a coin that I would consider unc by any means. Light wear, many abrasions, and it looks like it has been cleaned judging by the halos around the devices and unnatural reflectivity.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin is clearly AU, and probably AU details.

I do, however, recommend that Joe "sends it in", since he is not keen on taking his advice, and the $30-$50 in "tuition" might be worth his while.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money. AU55 at best, and that might be a stretch. That coin very well might bag. Those fields sure don't look original, but it might be the oversaturated lighting.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hang in there Joe.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new photos seal it. The coin is not uncirculated and won't grade as such.

mirabela
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@MFeld said:

@JRocco said:

@Joe_360 said:

As the > @clarkbar04 said:

Yes, totally agree.

I think the new photos look worse. I still think we have a range that starts at AU (details) and ends at MS62 - if the details look is an artifact of the photos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file