Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

PCI Graded Coins

Hello All!
My name is Kurt and this is actually my first post. I picked up some nice coins that are in PCI slabs and I was wondering if anyone knows any of the span of numbers when they actually were a reputable company. (so I hear anyways). I read about the whole indictment with the owner and how it destroyed the company, but I also heard they did ok at some point.

Can anyone help me see if I have any slabs during that period, and if so, maybe check the accuracy of some of these grades?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

PCGS and NGC are the best. ANACS and ICG are like a second tier to me. Anything else, I I would look closely at as I don't trust the grades on them 100%. In realty, all graded coins should be look at closely but I trust PCGS and NGC the most.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 4:03PM

Welcome to the boards! PCI did a good job of grading at one point IMO. The Photo-Certified holders seem to always command a premium and the green label ones also but depends on the coin in those. Green Label can be accurately or even undergraded, I have successfully crossed several over to PCGS in the same or higher grade but I have also had a couple that would not have crossed IMO at the same grade. The more recent slabs such as gold label can be a little suspect when thinking about crossing to our hosts or another top tier TPG. I have a couple PCI gold label 70's that would not cross.

Here is a link to the PCI page on SampleSlabs.com...maybe it can provide you with a little more information about them. As always photos of the coins would be helpful!

sampleslabs.com/pci.html

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

The older green label holder examples with a 10 digit serial number on the back were generally well graded, sometimes even conservatively so. Sometimes coins will tone in these PCI holders, early on they would even grade some coins as "100% White" or "50% Toned" or "PQ" these holders are neat, although sometimes a 100% white coin is now toned and makes the holder all the more interesting. Also keep an eye out for what look like PCI holders that are really Hallmark which used the holder before PCI acquired the design. Those are keepers for sure, with a significant slab collector premium.

• Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 410 ✭✭✭

"Also keep an eye out for what look like PCI holders that are really Hallmark which used the holder before PCI acquired the design." Nice callout! I've found a couple HALLMARK slabs this way.

As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    KeevanKeevan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but I made a purchase of a coin recently with a slab saying "PCI Certified Capsule Coin Grading Service" with a 9 digit number and a barcode on it. As far as I've been able to determine, PCI went bankrupt several times and their websites are dead.

Is there a way to lookup this 9 digit number/barcode anywhere online?

Successful BST transactions (as a buyer) with @ArchStanton, @JGnumismatics, @r00kies101, @derryb, @76collector, @Pachucko, @brendanlam, @Coll3ctor. I am looking for fractional gold Krugerrands, by year: 0.5oz: 2014, 2020, 2023 | 0.25oz: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2020, 2023 | 0.10oz: 1990, 1992, 1994, 2010, 2020-2021

• Options

Personally , i think it is all Political, some of these companies were around befor pcgs and ngc, the 2 pcgs and ngc were both started by the same guy and wanted to control the coin grading world there is huge money traded with all the top coin people , there are pci and uscg , nnc graded coins on alot of the big auctions going for big money , i personally have sent coins to pcgs and have had them come back always under what i thought they should have been , or they say they have been cleaned and i have the coins in my possession for decades hmmm really ? in my opinion so what if the coin has been cleaned as long as it wasnt altered ? if the strike lines are not wore off or rim damage so what ? and i love toned coins they are unique gives them charactor , the top tier in the coin world caused this , just like the government its all in who you know ? and who gets paid for what favors

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 6:13AM

@bobe1961 said:
    Personally , i think it is all Political, some of these companies were around befor pcgs and ngc, the 2 pcgs and ngc were both started by the same guy and wanted to control the coin grading world there is huge money traded with all the top coin people , there are pci and uscg , nnc graded coins on alot of the big auctions going for big money , i personally have sent coins to pcgs and have had them come back always under what i thought they should have been , or they say they have been cleaned and i have the coins in my possession for decades hmmm really ? in my opinion so what if the coin has been cleaned as long as it wasnt altered ? if the strike lines are not wore off or rim damage so what ? and i love toned coins they are unique gives them charactor , the top tier in the coin world caused this , just like the government its all in who you know ? and who gets paid for what favors

Not a very good introductory post.

I would suggest that you read the PCGS Forum Rules and Guidelines:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021#latest

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sage advice from @CoinHoarder

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 8:37AM

Yes a resurrection of the same question. I picked up this old holder coin and it’s stunning and so I’m researching with my favorite collectors and want an opinion on this 1984-s Half Kennedy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kkathyl Happy holidays, where ya been? Your half looks pretty good to me. Obv is strong and clean. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall