Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEWP 1909 S V.D.B. CAC to "fill that hole" in the old wheatback cent collection

I know the '09-s VDB is not rare, but definitely popular. This was always a dream as a child. I never thought I'd purchase one until I saw this one, and I didn't think twice. I guess you could say it fills that hole in my childhood Whitman cent album. This example is designated as BN, and it's very hard for me to capture the colors in my amateur photos. The TrueView does a better job at that. Very satiny surfaces with olive, lilac and green hues in the fields of both sides. Very happy to have come upon this one to add to my type collection. GTG if you'd like. It does have a green bean. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I was watching that one.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chiseled strike! The second set of photos really accents that attribute. Neat.

peacockcoins

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful coin. I'll go ms 65+. Fwiw

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. This is the type of coin that I would never crack out of a PCGS/CAC slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice ... congratz !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful example!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always a good Lincoln to own/buy!!!

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Out of MY range, unfortunately! But a BEAUT!! Congrats! :)

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I'd guess 64BN at a minimum.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

What collector would not want that!!!!!! Beautiful! I want one!

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade=Gem 65 bn maybe rb?

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color is so smooth and even!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough one to grade. I see high point rub and contact marks on the face. High mint state otherwise. I’ll wag a 58+.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 6:34PM

Regardless of how that coin was graded, it’s a beauty and exhibits more character than most. Edited: Grade guess removed after viewing images again.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Are you going to crack it and put it in the album?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

The white marks on the high points make me think AU 58.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing, I love it!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful surfaces except the light areas that seem to be caught in the raw photos on the high points of Lincoln (ie jaw, cheekbone, hair, beard, etc.). These are diminished once in holder, and the coin has a very lovely color.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a number of hits (collar, jaw, cheekbone) in addition to those you mention in the fields. None are severe but maybe the quantity limited the grade. The luster looks strong in the first set of images and a bit more matte thereafter, so hard to say if it had enough "pop" for 66. High grades in BN are pretty tough to make, in general.

Anyway, great coin. Congrats on finally "filling that hole" in style!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a very nice specimen of an '09S VDB cent. Excellent addition to your collection. Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice looking key coin indeed...except the ding on the reverse rim at 3 o'clock...that would bug me.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin, not at all surprised by the grade. Nice addition!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the coin and am late to the party but would have been at 65 possibly 65+ BN.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much nicer than the one in my Dansco.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD ... sorry, just couldn't resist! LOL

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice coin congrats!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a very nice example. After over 50 years of collecting, I’ve never actually owned one. I’d be more than satisfied with this one. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s wonderful when you can get a dream coin and it’s a coin of such quality.

Congrats! You can add it to your virtual coin album on the PCGS Registry Set for an album look.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only it didn't have that rim nick on the reverse. I find my eye drawn to it every time I look at the photo.

All glory is fleeting.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    If only it didn't have that rim nick on the reverse. I find my eye drawn to it every time I look at the photo.

That tiny nick doesn't bother me in the least and is probably only noticeable under high magnification. Very nice coin!. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Yeah, you’re right. That settles it, I’m gonna crack that puppy out and plug it in the Whitman. :D:D:D

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

@291fifth said:

Yeah, you’re right. That settles it, I’m gonna crack that puppy out and plug it in the Whitman. :D:D:D

Folder or Bookshelf? >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

nice one.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin has a lovely patina and surfaces. Contact marks are minimal. Congrats.

This is one coin that I never bought because as OP wrote, while it is not rare, it is very popular, and for that reason, has always been pricey.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice! :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file