Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I continue to love the simplicity of this set design....just elegant in my opinion. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Always happy to land 5 candidates for PSA 10 in only 4 packs. The Sweet Lou has me smiling...

I agree, simple and elegant. Nice finds!

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot have one without the other. Here goes 4 packs of 1990 Leaf series 2...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card design! I tried putting together a set back when they came out, but they were hard to find and expensive.

What's wrong with the Puckett?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Nice card design! I tried putting together a set back when they came out, but they were hard to find and expensive.

Slight lift on the back of one of the edges. I was with you Joe....thought it was a 10 until I turned it over 😕

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Nice hit on the Big Hurt

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Slight lift on the back of one of the edges. I was with you Joe....thought it was a 10 until I turned it over 😕

As Charlie Brown would say..............."RATS!"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2020 11:47PM

NICE Thomas!!!!!!

PSA 10's going for $250.00!!!!

• Options

Those 1990 Leaf packs left me in a Frank Thomas kind of mood. Time for a box of 1990 Bowman cards. This is Frank’s most underrated RC in my opinion. This set is loaded with stars and rookies and is always a fun rip. Plus, I am pretty sure Kyle told me to look for variations in this set. I remember there is a Ripken with “Baltimore” partially blacked out on the back, but don’t know if there are other tough ones I should be looking for....Kyle?

• Options

OMG, hope you have better luck than I did.

Hope you get a centered Thomas!

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Completely agree with the underrated bowman thomas. As well as the the '89 junior, '91 chipper, and others.
    I've always loved the simple but classic bowman design and enjoyed ripping back in the day looking for the newest rookies.
    Good luck!

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I still have twenty two 1990 Bowman wax boxes left from the old days. Sorted out 6 boxes we had opened back then. I think we only found 3 or so of the Thomas rookie cards. Good luck.

• Options

I had to spend some time educating myself on all the print variants in this set. There are a ton! In the end, this turned out to be a later run print box as all were airbrushed and corrected. Sadly, there wasn’t even a Thomas RC in this box. I am not trying to build this in PSA 10, aside from any worthy stars/rookies for GEM MINT submission, so here are all the ones that missed the mark...

I hate going out without a Thomas RC, so I dug this fresh factory-sealed case out of storage for another box rip tomorrow. Love when I am able to do that!

• Options
    edited December 22, 2020 9:48AM

Found 4 of them.

Went through another binder and found 4 more of Mr. Thomas, 8 in all from 6 wax boxes that we ripped back in the day.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with you guys. Was a big fan of 90B and that Thomas Card. Love the look of that 4 pack right there!

Chris,
    That case is just too awesome. I think to myself. Who would have thunk to set aside a 90B case?? The breadth of what appealed to you, and more importantly, what you were able to set aside, is astonishing.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

Thanks John. I appreciate the kind words. I have been stuck on 1980s material plus a few other favorite players who just fell out of the decade on either side. I have been fortunate to have collected unopened from day one, long before it was the cool thing to do 😎 I am blessed to be able to enjoy it now and share with others here who have similar childhood memories. Thanks for all of your comments along the way. I always enjoy listening to everyone’s hobby memories!

Let’s get back to the hunt for a Thomas RC in this case fresh box....

• Options

Well that was a sweet start to this fresh case! I want to thank LarkinCollector for his 1990 Bowman error/variation thread which made this rip that much more fun. I never knew all the print variations that existed as an added challenge when opening 1990 Bowman. Guessing this might invite some new conversation on the variations. I am certainly no expert, but love learning from others about these fun aspects of our great hobby.

First, here are the stars and rookies that continue to build from my breaks...

I did manage to pull this Frank Thomas RC, but not worthy of PSA 10. In fact, non of the star/rookie cards have been worthy of PSA 10 in either of the two boxes I just broke...

Here is where this box from the fresh case got interesting. All the ART cards in this box were the single * variety. You will notice that I pulled both single * versions of the “with” and “without” Dwight Gooden “$110K” line. I am showing the double ** versions I have pulled before for comparison...

I then pulled the single * version of the Will Clark ART card with the * centered under the word CITY. From the other thread, I think this is the hardest version to find among the single *. I am showing the standard *, obscured partial ** and full ** for comparison...

Then, low and behold, this box had the “missing ink Gary Redus” team name version on the back Pittsburgh Pirates...

Sure enough, along with the two above, this box also contained the “missing ink Cal Ripken” team name on back version...

I have no idea the rarity of these, but thought this added a fun element to the rip. Pretty cool first box from this factory sealed case I have had for years and years. I would love any experts to share what they know here.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Well that was a sweet start to this fresh case! I want to thank LarkinCollector for his 1990 Bowman error/variation thread which made this rip that much more fun. I never knew all the print variations that existed as an added challenge when opening 1990 Bowman. Guessing this might invite some new conversation on the variations. I am certainly no expert, but love learning from others about these fun aspects of our great hobby.

I did manage to pull this Frank Thomas RC, but not worthy of PSA 10. In fact, non of the star/rookie cards have been worthy of PSA 10 in either of the two boxes I just broke...

That looks very nice, why do you think it will fail to "10"?

• Options

Hi Joe. There is what I call an “oil spot” on the white border above Frank’s head. Saw it in hand as soon as I looked at the card. Harder to see through a pic, but now that I point it out it will be impossible not to see 🤣

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Hi Joe. There is what I call an “oil spot” on the white border above Frank’s head. Saw it in hand as soon as I looked at the card. Harder to see through a pic, but now that I point it out it will be impossible not to see 🤣

Yup, there it is!

• Options

I did not find the Redus or Ripken missing ink in any of the cards that I have. I have the rest. The Sosa dark splot next to his right ear is another one. I have only one without it, the rest have that splot. I think there are 3 different Griffey Jr as well, all mine are the corrected one. Welcome to the rabbit hole, jump right in.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Whoa! 40 year old vending. Presumably you are a master of keeping your unopened in the right sort of environment - temperature and such. Is a single gem(ish) card even a reasonable expectation? This is my kind of science experiment. GOOD LUCK!!

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    Whoa! 40 year old vending. Presumably you are a master of keeping your unopened in the right sort of environment - temperature and such. Is a single gem(ish) card even a reasonable expectation? This is my kind of science experiment. GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you on the good luck. I have preserved lots of unopened over the years in all forms. It is critical to store them in dark, dry, climate controlled areas for sure. As you have likely seen me note in this thread, the hit rate on finding a strong candidate for PSA 10 is between 1-2% of the cards in any given unopened box. This vending box was right in that window. Thanks for commenting and following this thread!

• Options

Nice box! Even though you didn't get a Ricky, this is about as good as you can expect with unopened.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

So awesome, not many 1980 Topps tips happening these days! Some sharp pulls there for sure. I
    Never bought much, which by now I realize the massive error in my way. Happy holidays!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This is possibly my favorite set from the 1980s along with 1987 Fleer. Such a clean and classic design for Topps in 1980. First, the bad news. Rickey has now alluded me through two vending boxes. The good news, I hit all other star cards and managed to find 7 more contenders for PSA 10. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

I have always loved the look of this Nolan Ryan card. Pretty sure this one lands in the PSA 8 camp...

Here are the 7 contenders for PSA 10 from this vending box. Thanks to those who continue to comment along the way...

Double-you oh double-you.

Andy

• Options

The “better card” debate in the other thread between Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith has me in a Barry kind of mood. He was my favorite football player growing up and aesthetically this is by far his best looking RC. Here goes a box of 1989 Pro Set Series II...

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Nice pulls!! 1989 Pro Set Series 2 is a junk waxer's paradise. It's therapeutic to rip at least one box of this per year just for fun. Lord knows there's enough unopened still out there for all of us.

• Options

Still on my Frank Thomas kick...

• Options

Good luck. I got obliterated looking for a centered Thomas.

SOMEONE has to find one!

;-)

• Options

1990 Bowman is always a fun rip. So many rookies and stars in this set. Here are the ones that missed the perfect grade...

I did pull a nice Thomas RC, but the top/bottom centering is not where it needs to be...

I am not trying to build this set in PSA 10, so I am only setting aside the key RCs and stars that I think have a shot at PSA 10. Pretty happy with these two candidates...

• Options

Nice !! Love this underrated set !

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 7:40PM

I bought one pack of 1990 Bowman, one pack of 1990 Topps, and three packs of 1990 upper deck from my LCS junk bin early last year. I pulled three Larry Walker rookies, one from each set! They all looked really good, so I submitted them in the summer. I just got them back this past week. The Bowman card gemmed! The other two came back psa 9. Was super stoked over the Bowman card though.

• Options

@bensie said:
    I bought one pack of 1990 Bowman, one pack of 1990 Topps, and three packs of 1990 upper deck from my LCS junk bin early last year. I pulled three Larry Walker rookies, one from each set! They all looked really good, so I submitted them in the summer. I just got them back this past week. The Bowman card gemmed! The other two came back psa 9. Was super stoked over the Bowman card though.

That’s outstanding...congrats! Would love to see a scan of the three cards if you get the chance. Walker is very underrated and has strong upside in value in my opinion.

• Options

Still hunting for that elusive, first pack-pulled 1992 Donruss Elite. Here goes box #14 from the factory sealed case...

• Options

Elite, elite, elite, ELITE!!!!!!

• Options

Dang those Elites are tough to pull! Was really happy to land another Frank Thomas DK in this box though. This one is gradeable too...

• Options

Ahh man, still have my fingers crossed for you on that Elite pull! Next box!

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@bensie said:

That’s outstanding...congrats! Would love to see a scan of the three cards if you get the chance. Walker is very underrated and has strong upside in value in my opinion.

Here they are!

• Options

Nice group, especially the Walker PSA 10. Been busy with my coin collection so have not done any thing with BB cards.
    When I do thinking about ripping a case of 92 UD. Only reason would be to find the Williams/autograph. It would be a wash if I just sold the case, about equal to a raw Williams/autograph.

• Options

Love the commitment! You have far more patience than I do!

I agree with you though - the 1987 fleer set is gorgeous and I fear overlooked too often.

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

You alright, man? Starting to worry. Hope all is well.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

We're looking for a new title for the era...
    Junk wax too demeaning B)
    So many great HOFer

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

i really hope the emmitt is nice.

• Options

This really is a great set design. The good news is that these were razor sharp. The bad news is that centering was hit or miss, and mostly miss. Here are the “other” RCs in this set...

The main two both have razor sharp corners, but the centering will keep them at PSA 8 most likely with a very outside chance at MINT 9...

• Options

Welcome back!

Really nice photography on those cards!

I am not familiar with this set, is the centering this "low" on all the cards?