Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are (absolutely) Fully Struck Peace dollar so scarce?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hunt for fully struck (that includes the reverse- especially the lettering!) Peace dollars and can go days without really seeing one. The closest I've come in awhile is this one (other than I am still disappointed with some of the reverse striking). Do you have one? I'd love to see it (especially some of the "S" mints):

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even Carr's 1964-D restrike was pretty weak on the reverse.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 12:55PM

Beautiful coins when fully struck, that 26-S is nice! The Peace, even with the relief lowered on the post 1921 issues, still have a relief and a design requiring a good strike to fill on a big coin. I hope the modern Mint can strike the 2021 Peace dollars fully and with the proper relief and not the bus token flat relief they use on most issues.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the Peace Dollar, though weak strikes do plague the design..... Nice coins above... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm said:
    Beautiful coins when fully struck, that 26-S is nice! The Peace, even with the relief lowered on the post 1921 issues, still have a relief and a design requiring a good strike to fill on a big coin. I hope the modern Mint can strike the 2021 Peace dollars fully and with the proper relief and not the bus token flat relief they use of most issues.

"Bus Token" indeed! And there was also a time when Lincoln had a "real" shoulder on the Cent.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Strong hair detail, along with a peach/puffy cheek, is what I look for. Some have a kind of orange peel fields that I also find highly attractive, especially over smooth silvery/light gold toning.

peacockcoins

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 12:37PM

@RedStorm said:
    Beautiful coins when fully struck, that 26-S is nice! The Peace, even with the relief lowered on the post 1921 issues, still have a relief and a design requiring a good strike to fill on a big coin. I hope the modern Mint can strike the 2021 Peace dollars fully and with the proper relief and not the bus token flat relief they use of most issues.

I think that the intent is to replicate the 1921 high relief. If the mint does a good job, the 2021 peace dollar would be the ONLY Peace Dollar I'd want for my collection.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

@RedStorm said:
    Beautiful coins when fully struck, that 26-S is nice! The Peace, even with the relief lowered on the post 1921 issues, still have a relief and a design requiring a good strike to fill on a big coin. I hope the modern Mint can strike the 2021 Peace dollars fully and with the proper relief and not the bus token flat relief they use on most issues.

I think that the intent is to replicate the 1921 high relief. If the mint does a good job, the 2021 peace dollar would be the ONLY Peace Dollar I'd want for my collection.

Let's hope they do it right and indeed, it would be a keeper!

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins for those of us that don't know, what do you mean by striking it like a medal?
    Thanks

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

WingedLiberty1957: Congratulations if you are the proud owner of that 1922 Proof! Wow! Just Wow!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

@RedStorm said:

After Congress finished its session without sending the 2021 dollar authorization to the President. It is not all certain that the coins will authorized.

Even if we get the coin, there are no assurances that the Peace Dollar will any better. Look at the gold Mercury Dime. It didn’t even have split bands.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 8:22AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    @Zoins for those of us that don't know, what do you mean by striking it like a medal?

I think this has some relevant info that @Zoins is referring to in step 6.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/how-coins-are-made-coin-production-terminology

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Combination of die depth, planchet thickness and/or strike pressure?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :)

:p

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@olympicsos said:

@RedStorm said:

After Congress finished its session without sending the 2021 dollar authorization to the President. It is not all certain that the coins will authorized.

Even if we get the coin, there are no assurances that the Peace Dollar will any better. Look at the gold Mercury Dime. It didn’t even have split bands.

It was signed by the president on 1/5/2021. The mint did a good job on the larger gold SLQ and gold Walker. 2016 Gold Walkers are some of the few fully struck Walkers you'll find.

• Options

^
    I can see why! I'd challenge anyone to find one with a deeper strike.
    The top of the hairline makes this one almost appear to be a doubled strike.

peacockcoins

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The reason the Peace Dollar is hard to fully strike is due to the design. Both sides have relatively large flat fields with one large, mostly vertical device in the middle where they overlap each other.

Contrast this with the Morgan where the obverse device fills a large portion of the obverse and is almost never weakly struck.

Because of this, the Peace Dollar almost needs to be struck like a medal.

I didnt know that. Thanks for posting!

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Wayne Miller used the term "inadequate striking pressure" to explain the weak strikes, especially for the 'S' mint issues.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

You also have to remember that they were rushing to recoin a vast amount of silver that had been loaned to Great Britain and returned at the end of the war. So quantity over quality...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread, I want to reexamine some Peace dollars with peach puffy cheek on my mind. I've always focused on the flowing locks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file