Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Surface Shipping from Germany

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2020 7:15AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Last month, I placed an order with Münzenhandlung Dirk Löbbers. Due to pandemic issues, they would not ship their usual way, whatever that would be (DHL?), but by surface mail, also know as sail mail, since supposedly the mail goes by ocean vessel. I was expecting about a month, but that time is almost gone. Has anyone any current experience with sail mail? There is a tracking number, but that simply shows the posting.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had snail mail from others in Germany in 10 days, and also in 42 days.
    am surprised they use SM.
    recently had a private mail, 5 SI dollars, sent from just north of FRA via air mail, signature, it was here in Canada delivered on the 6th day. Coast Euro 11 approx. was shipped via German post who use DHL.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half dozen parcels I've ordered from Germany in the past month or two are coming via air. That doesn't mean they're coming quickly. Some items that I ordered at the end of September still haven't cleared customs yet.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any mail goes by sea anymore. In fact, are there still any ocean crossings on a regular schedule?

Surface mail is most likely sent by air, but on a low priority basis. All high priority mail is loaded first (airmail, EMS, etc.) and if there is any extra space, surface mail is loaded. If not, it waits for the next flight and so on.

I had very good luck with FedEx from Germany in July. Maybe things have changed, but to the US, FedEx service seems to be ideal for anything over $1000 (and maybe even less depending on your tolerance).

Besides the pandemic, note that the additional tariffs have created an increased burden for Customs agents and at the (often outsourced) clearance departments at the carriers. This is also causing unusual slowness.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I don't think any mail goes by sea anymore. In fact, are there still any ocean crossings on a regular schedule?

Surface mail is most likely sent by air, but on a low priority basis. All high priority mail is loaded first (airmail, EMS, etc.) and if there is any extra space, surface mail is loaded. If not, it waits for the next flight and so on.

I had very good luck with FedEx from Germany in July. Maybe things have changed, but to the US, FedEx service seems to be ideal for anything over $1000 (and maybe even less depending on your tolerance).

Besides the pandemic, note that the additional tariffs have created an increased burden for Customs agents and at the (often outsourced) clearance departments at the carriers. This is also causing unusual slowness.

Agree..

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any more recent experience with this? I had a package accepted at Frankfurt airport on 11/11, and not yet accepted into the US system. I live on the West Coast, and when I went to the Deutsche Post website saw this:

USA:
    At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

My current "Box of 20"

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought something from Germany on eBay 10/25 just got to Seattle here is tracking ->

Dec 1, 2020
    12:51am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003
    Nov 28, 2020
    9:14am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097
    Nov 28, 2020
    7:17am
    ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
    FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 09, 07032
    Oct 27, 2020
    4:39am
    ORIGIN POST IS PREPARING SHIPMENT
    Oct 27, 2020
    3:22am
    FOREIGN INTERNATIONAL DISPATCH
    FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, DE
    Oct 26, 2020
    4:01pm
    FOREIGN ACCEPTANCE
    DE
    Oct 26, 2020
    9:50am
    Tracking number provided

edited December 2, 2020 1:26PM

@Bob13 said:
    Anyone have any more recent experience with this? I had a package accepted at Frankfurt airport on 11/11, and not yet accepted into the US system. I live on the West Coast, and when I went to the Deutsche Post website saw this:

USA:
    At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

The items I ordered in late September ended up arriving in early to mid-November. They took approximately 6 weeks to arrive. This was 3 different packages from 3 different locations in Germany that did not arrive at my house in the US at the same time (or even in the same week).

I have another package that shipped mid-November that I am still waiting on. I am about 3 weeks into the wait (when it normally takes 10-14 days). I am expecting 6 weeks on this one as well.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The order that started off this thread took about 5 weeks to arrive, in New York metro area.
    I subsequently ordered from two different vendors, one which posted the item on 10/29, the other on 11/5.
    Neither item has reappeared on the tracking system. I am anticipating 6 weeks. I do not understand, though, because items from the UK, France and even Israel arrive in a few days, less than two weeks.

DPOTD
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly what you asked, but I can give you another data point.

A USPS Registered package from London arrived and cleared Customs in a week (a holiday week, no less), which from my experience is very fast, even in normal times.

We do not know what happens at FOREIGN INTERNATIONAL DISPATCH FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, DE.

I few years ago I sent a big box from Minneapolis to Hawaii. The person at USPS I asked told me that every thing going to Hawaii that is not airmail gets sent to ?Long Beach, CA? and then into a 40 foot container. Once a container gets full, it gets put onto a ship. If it takes a couple weeks to fill the container, depending on when your package arrives there could be a delay at that point.

Two orders pending from Germany, one posted on 10/29, the other on 11/5. Items have not appeared since arriving in Frankfurt.
    Meanwhile, an item ordered from France, on 12/17, arrived today, 12/23.

DPOTD

I think our packages are literally in the same boat.

At this point it is a race between postal services and PCGS on my recent world submission.

My current "Box of 20"

edited December 23, 2020 2:10PM

I am still waiting on a package that was sent on 11/10. This sea freight is taking a while. I'd be expecting it this week or next if it weren't Christmas time. I'm not counting on anything right now given the delays we are seeing across the board.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭

it depends on how they send it - in my experience, FedEx is fast, some types of DHL are fast, and everything else takes 2-4 months

mine is AWL since November 20. Last scan was Frankfurt. Destination Canada Westcoast
    I was told by a German source "in the know":
    unless it is epress (and there are express and then there is express??) it will go "in to " a big container. when that container is full it will be shipped... yes, by slow boat! go figure....

Reason apparently is that many employees are sick at home, and others work from home. And the incredible large flood of mail items. and short staffed...
    yes, It may be partially so... butIMO, they should have known.
    Of course all delivery guarantees and signatures needed are invalid and "out the window" now because of the virus.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

My WAG win was shipped 11th of November and delivered to me in Ontario on the 26th.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought a coin from Dirk Löbbers so we'll see if anything is better. I bought a watch from Sternglas in Hamburg and the DHL Express arrived very quickly, then I ordered a watch strap from the same company -- supposed to go DHL Express but hasn't arrived after a month of waiting.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    My WAG win was shipped 11th of November and delivered to me in Ontario on the 26th.

That's the one I'm still waiting on. This is one of the few times I wish I was in Canada.

@neildrobertson said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

That's the one I'm still waiting on. This is one of the few times I wish I was in Canada.

Oh yes???? except it is not better here at all Canada Post is usually dragging their behind.
    they say they care but do not

A letter shipped to myself to test their service took 9 days to be delivered. shipped from the main local post office to me, about 10KM (6Miles) away. Tracking showed it did a detour of about 580 KM RT.
    when questioned I was told it had to get to the respective sorting places first. makes no sense at all.
    waiting for mail from Europe via DHL express. was sent 22 Nov to Vancouver. at this time, according to the last scan: Item is en route to Canada.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

This year has been hit or miss for me receiving tokens from England. Most arrive in 10-14 days but some take up to 6 weeks, Another difference, this year most of the shipments end up going thru Chicago instead of directly to Minneapolis. Several have entered thru New York or even Dallas. It just depends on which carrier is carrying it.
    Currently waiting on a package that apparently has cleared customs in Langley but has not yet been picked up.

December 9, 2020, 4:54 am
    Processed Through Facility
    LANGLEY HWDC, UNITED KINGDOM

December 8, 2020, 10:52 am
    Acceptance
    UNITED KINGDOM

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

any one have any updates? My package is still not heard of since Frankfurt 11/11?

My current "Box of 20"

@Bob13 said:
    any one have any updates? My package is still not heard of since Frankfurt 11/11?

My WAGO 113 winnings are in the exact same boat. Last seen in Frankfurt 11/11. I have purchased a handful of other things from Germany since then and nothing has arrived yet. I even paid more for Premium Service from Deutsche Post a full month ago on one of them.

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Have a couple of packages from Germany that are also last scanned in Frankfurt since mid November

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

Package mailed from Germany on 11/5 arrived today. The USPS tracking did not register. More alarming was the shape of the packet!

DPOTD

That's pretty bad. I assume the contents were ok?

Just to clarify - the USPS tracking still said something like "Pre Shipment - Origin post is preparing shipment" and the package was just in your mailbox?

My current "Box of 20"

The contents appear to have been unharmed.
    I never received an update from the USPS website, so I was surprised by the delivery.
    I did check the website directly, because the requested emails were not received.

11/05/20 - Acceptance
    11/09/20 - Processed through Frankfurt
    (then Origin Post is Preparing Shipment)
    01/04/21 - Jersey City NJ Network Distribution Center
    01/07/21 - Arrived at local post office
    01/07/21 - Delivered

My 10/29/20 order from another vendor remains "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" since being processed through Frankfurt on 10/31.

DPOTD
  • numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

I'm in the same boat---six different German packages outstanding with no updates since Frankfurt, dating as far back as early November. Packages from others countries have still been arriving, some a bit more slowly, but Germany is a huge void right now. It definitely seems like 2 months is about what to expect at the moment.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

I also have two things stuck in Frankfurt since mid November

edited January 9, 2021 3:35PM

My shipment from Dirk Löbbers went out on 12/22 and arrived today 1/9. Yay! And surprising because I did not pay for shipping (or rather the shipping cost was bundled in with the price of the coin) so the vendor picked how it would be shipped.

My watchband from Sternglas of Hamburg from 11/26 is still missing but the company sent me another that when through DHL Express and arrived within days.

@jgenn said:
    My shipment from Dirk Löbbers went out on 12/22 and arrived today 1/9. Yay! And surprising because I did not pay for shipping (or rather the shipping cost was bundled in with the price of the coin) so the vendor picked how it would be shipped.

My watchband from Sternglas of Hamburg from 11/26 is still missing but the company sent me another that when through DHL Express and arrived within days.

So.... what's in the 📦? :)

edited January 9, 2021 5:56PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

Not very pretty but you may be aware that Carlos III Madrid mint issues are very scarce.

my stuff is still AWAL. apparently is now on the way from Montreal to the westcoast (predicted to take 21 days
    was shipped DHL express.

@jgenn said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Not very pretty but you may be aware that Carlos III Madrid mint issues are very scarce.

Nice wholesome example! Madrid CIII issues are tough. Do you have the other dates?

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice wholesome example! Madrid CIII issues are tough. Do you have the other dates?

I also have the 1762 and 1788 from Madrid.

Just when I had given up hope! My package mailed from Frankfurt on November 11th popped up in Seattle today!

My current "Box of 20"

edited January 12, 2021 7:50PM

@Bob13 said:
    Just when I had given up hope! My package mailed from Frankfurt on November 11th popped up in Seattle today!

My package that got mailed at the end of December arrived today after about 2 weeks. My packages from November and the beginning of December are still missing. At least something made it into a plane!

My November purchase finally arrived yesterday!

My current "Box of 20"

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Beautiful Wildman!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

Nice Thaler. It gives me hope that I'll be getting something this week.

I has been 9 days since my last post and I'm still waiting.

I got one from Germany a couple days ago that was from 12/29. But still awaiting for a 12/12 and 11/26 shipment.

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Shipped from Düsseldorf on 12/8 Still waiting...
    Last Track
    December 28, 2020, 8:23 am
    Processed Through Facility
    FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

Much luckier with a 14 lb bronze plaque out of Utrecht. It came over the pole to San Francisco and went right through Customs then up the coast to me.

edited January 26, 2021 11:05PM

flug Flughafen that place is a postal black hole

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a positive going the other direction. I shipped Jan 3 through the cheaper ebay international option. Was about to make a find my mail claim today because it never showed delivered in Ky. Just received feedback it was delivered today. Not bad as my last shipment to him took around 2 months. Maybe things are trying to get better.

edited January 27, 2021 1:16PM

@amwldcoin said:
    I have a positive going the other direction. I shipped Jan 3 through the cheaper ebay international option. Was about to make a find my mail claim today because it never showed delivered in Ky. Just received feedback it was delivered today. Not bad as my last shipment to him took around 2 months. Maybe things are trying to get better.

It seems like stuff mailed after Christmas is doing fine. Anything mailed between the last week of October and the last week of December appears to have been routed through the Bermuda Triangle.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting on two from the UK, waiting before because one couldn't travel to ship because of the lockdown in NI. Of course Brexit is fudging things up also.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Brexit will be a serious Nightmare to come!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Brexit will be a serious Nightmare to come!

But down the road I could be collecting Scots Euro coins. Scots were not Euroskeptic like the English were. Then the real problem is Northern Ireland - where a hard border presents trading issues and even pro-UK people are put off by Brexit and thinking a united Ireland is a better option at least economically.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

I know, I will not be affected directly by Brexit. I stick to Canadian coins 1858-1967,
    And, as usual, errors and Varieties ...Canadian only.