Home Sports Talk

Which NFL team has the best QB Mount Rushmore ?

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packers have Favre, Rodgers, and Starr, but who would be 4th ?

49ers have Montana and Young, but do they have two others to take them to #1 ?

Does Dallas have the best with Staubach, White, Aikman and Romo ?

Which NFL team has the best collection of 4 QB,s of all time ?

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 6:01PM

Omitted

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call with 4. Very interesting topic though!!

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 49ers add John Brodie and Y.A. Tittle. The dropoff to whoever you want to add as 4th on the Packers (Lynn Dickey?, Tobin Rote?) is so enormous that I think the 49ers win. (The Cowboy's don't come close).

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Colts may be in the discussion too. Just throwing it out there as there are 4 MVPs listed...I think I'd go with the Packers with the addition of a weak link Lynn Dickey?

Unitas
    Manning
    Bert Jones
    Morrall (or Luck)

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

49ers.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

what about the magic man for green bays 4th?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really think the Colts might have it. two all timers, luck and bert jones.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffalo has had a revolving door of QB’s since Jim Kelly but this new guy might be pretty good. 😂 So with a very tiny sample I’ll add him.
    Jim Kelly
    Jack Kemp 2 AFL Championships
    Josh Allen. The best is yet to come.
    Joe hang your head Ferguson

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chargers have had some incredible names, though none of them won anything in San Diego.

Jack Kemp
    John Hadl
    Dan Fouts
    Drew Brees
    Philip Rivers

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Chiefs...

Len Dawson
    Joe Montana
    Patrick Mahomes

but no one of note between Dawson and Montana

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is much easier if you do it from a college perspective ...

Purdue:
    Brees
    Bob Griese
    Dawson
    Everett

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    This is much easier if you do it from a college perspective ...

Purdue:
    Brees
    Bob Griese
    Dawson
    Everett

Bart Starr
    Ken Stabler
    Joe Namath

Alabama

@craig44 said:

Loved Bert Jones. Funny guy, great player, and beautiful wife.

@Goldenage said:

@craig44 said:

Bert Jones had a cannon.

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Goldenage said:

@craig44 said:

Bert Jones had a cannon.

Very similar QB to Elway. John scrambled perhaps a bit better.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cowboys:
    Don Meredith
    Roger Staubach
    Danny White
    Troy Aikman
    and future 5th member added to Mt Rushmore: Dak Prescott

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh and one more, Tony Romo so make it 6. Sorry I left you out Tony.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Chiefs...

Len Dawson
    Joe Montana
    Patrick Mahomes

but no one of note between Dawson and Montana

I would agree with you but the OP did say the QB had to stay with the team he spent the most
    time with so the 49'ers would get Montana.
    Trent Green is an underrated Chiefs QB. Kurt Warner has mentioned he learned a lot from
    Trent when he was his backup for the Rams.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoops my mistake AFLfan, the OP did not say they had to stay with the team they spent the most time with.

It must have been the pitching thread where he said that.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Rams:

Bob Waterfield
    Norm van Brocklin
    Roman Gabriel
    Kurt Warner
    Vince Ferragamo

Steve

edited January 4, 2021 10:16PM

@SDSportsFan said:
    The Rams:

Bob Waterfield
    Norm van Brocklin
    Roman Gabriel
    Kurt Warner
    Vince Ferragamo

Steve

Strong first four and I like it. Ferragamo, though he led them to their 1st Super Bowl, simply does not belong nor is he necessary.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 10:47PM

I'm still leaning

Montana HOF
    Young HOF
    Tittle HOF
    Brodie 17 years all with SF

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 4, 2021 10:39PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm still leaning

Montana
    Young
    Tittle
    Brodie

m

I could very easily be wrong, but I always thought Y.A. was a Giant? Brodie is a good add. Maybe Snead too?

Edit: Snead is no good. Not a real 49er. I just recall his 76 Topps card. :o

edited January 4, 2021 10:42PM

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm still leaning

Montana
    Young
    Tittle
    Brodie

m

I could very easily be wrong, but I always thought Y.A. was a Giant? Brodie is a good add. Maybe Snead too?

Tittle had a great 10 year run with SF. All of the 50's. My dad used to tell me Tittle and Bobby Layne stories. Tittle also played a few years with the Colts and Giants

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm still leaning

Montana
    Young
    Tittle
    Brodie

m

Tittle had a great 10 year run with SF. Also played a few years with the Colts and Giants

m

I did not know that and I got my grad degree from LSU. :) Strong four!

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm still leaning

Montana HOF
    Young HOF
    Tittle HOF

m

The battle between Green Bay and San Fran is a good one. I’d love to see statistically if Young and Montana are better than Favre and Rodgers.

I know Rodgers has had two of the highest QB season ratings in nfl history.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 6:46AM

@bobbybakeriv said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    The Rams:

Bob Waterfield
    Norm van Brocklin
    Roman Gabriel
    Kurt Warner
    Vince Ferragamo

Steve

Strong first four and I like it. Ferragamo, though he led them to their 1st Super Bowl, simply does not belong nor is he necessary.

Yea, I know; I just threw him in for the hell of it.

Steve

Redskins aren't too bad with Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer and Joe Theismann.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm still leaning

Montana HOF
    Young HOF
    Tittle HOF

m

The battle between Green Bay and San Fran is a good one. I’d love to see statistically if Young and Montana are better than Favre and Rodgers.

I know Rodgers has had two of the highest QB season ratings in nfl history.

A quick look reveals that Rodgers has the highest QB "Rate" the highest completion %, and the lowest interception rate of all 4. Favre has the worst numbers in all three categories.

Pretty even.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the winner but Washington has a solid 3 with Baugh, Jurgenson, and Theismann. Pretty steep drop off though for the 4th.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Green Bay Packers with
    Aaron Rogers
    Brett Favre
    Bart Starr
    Arnie Herber

San Fran 2nd with
    Joe Montana
    Steve Young
    YA Tittle
    John Brodie

Colts 3rd with
    Johnny U
    Peyton Manning
    Bert Jones
    Andrew Luck

Paul Hornung won the Heismann at Notre Dame at QB. He also played some QB with Green Bay, although he mostly ran from the position.

They didn’t throw that much during his era, and because he was a hall of fame runner, his passing stats are minimal.

But I think he should easily put Green Bay over the top with his inclusion with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers.

Hornung won the NFL mvp in 1961, and played on four championship teams, and is in the hall.

I think Green Bay has the edge.

@dallasactuary said:
    For the 49ers add John Brodie

I remember Brodie battling my Vikings, he was very, very good. He was pretty much surrounded by lousy offensive players until Gene Washington arrived and their defense was usually around 10th in the league in giving up points.

When he retired he was third all time in passing yards behind Tarkenton and Unitas.

Passing yards per game, 9 seasons in the top 10 with 8 seasons top 10 in yards per attempt.

His completion % looks low by today's standards, but he was top 10 in that category 9 times, while also being in the top 10 in interception % 10 times.

13 times in top 10 in Game Winning Drives and 11 in "comebacks".

He did all this while being a starter for only about 13 years.

MVP in 1970.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Paul Hornung won the Heismann at Notre Dame at QB. He also played some QB with Green Bay, although he mostly ran from the position.

They didn’t throw that much during his era, and because he was a hall of fame runner, his passing stats are minimal.

But I think he should easily put Green Bay over the top with his inclusion with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers.

Jerry Rice threw some passes, too, so if we add him to SF then they're back on top.

Paul Hornung was not a QB. His "record" as QB is 0-0-0 because never, not in a single game, was he the QB. No doubt he was good enough to play QB, and no doubt the Packers took advantage of that with some trick plays, but five passes per season does not get him on a QB Mt. Rushmore. "His era", by the way, was Bart Starr's era; they threw plenty, they just had the QB make those throws, not the RB.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited January 7, 2021 11:29AM

@Goldenage said:
    Hornung won the NFL mvp in 1961, and played on four championship teams, and is in the hall.

I think Brady is better then Rodgers

I think Young and is slightly better then Favre but it's close. Call it a draw and I'm ok with it I guess

I think Tittle is better then Starr but probably close or even . Only going by era and stats as I didn't see them play.

Brodie is better then any other Packer QB then one could name at this spot

m

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

His primary position was not QB so hard to include him.

4th being Majkowski and I think they get it.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Justacommeman said:

Brodie is better then any other Packer QB then one could name

m

Yes.