Home Sports Talk

Which MLB team has the best pitching Mount Rushmore of All Time ?

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pitcher qualifies for the team that he spent the most years with. So Clemens could only be with the Red Sox. Schilling with the Phillies.

Do the Red Sox have a chance with Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Pedro, and ?

Is it Philadelphia with Grove, Carlton, Schilling, and ?

Is it the Yankees ?

Which team has the best group of 4 starters all time ?

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore Orioles?
    Jim Palmer
    Dave McNally
    Mike Mussina
    Mike Cuellar

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    A pitcher qualifies for the team that he spent the most years with. So Clemens could only be with the Red Sox. Schilling with the Phillies.

Is it the Yankees ?

<<< Is it Philadelphia with Grove, Carlton, Schilling, and ? >>>

How did you forget Robin Roberts? :)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers:

Koufax
    Drysdale
    Hershiser
    Kershaw

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

Is it the Yankees ?

<<< Is it Philadelphia with Grove, Carlton, Schilling, and ? >>>

How did you forget Robin Roberts? :)

Oddly enough, the “futile fillies” have three great nominees despite their poor records. Grove was an Athletics star, not for the Phillies. You could name Grover Cleveland Alexander instead.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 7:12PM

you'd probably have to make a distinction on how many years/games would a player need to qualify for one team....ie it might be Cleveland if you add up all the HOF pitchers who played at least one year there because they had a bunch of HOFers who were only there for 1-3 years like Steve Carlton, Niekro, Eckersley, Wilhelm, Newhauser, Satchel Paige, Jack Morris, then Gaylord Perry was an Indian for 4 years, Blyleven was there for 5 years etc.

But for actual HOFers who played the majority of their careers with Cleveland, they had 6

Cy Young
    Bob Feller
    Bob Lemon
    Early Wynn
    Addie Joss
    Stan Coveleski

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

As much as it pains me, I'd vote Red Sox with Young, Clemens, Pedro and Babe Ruth. :) If Ruth is ineligible then Smokey Joe Wood.

@hammer1 said:
    Dodgers:

Koufax
    Drysdale
    Hershiser
    Kershaw

Don Sutton probably makes the list ahead of Hershiser

as would

Dazzy Vance
    Burleigh Grimes
    Rube Marquard was a Dodger for 6 years

so there's 5 actual HOF Dodger pitchers, one sort of a Dodger HOFer in Marquard (8 years with the Giants), and then one future HOFer in Kershaw.

Giants have 8

Christy Mathewson
    Carl Hubbell
    Juan Marichal
    Gaylord Perry
    Amos Rusie
    Mickey Welch
    Tim Keefe
    Joe McGinnity

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, Grove pitched for the A's so he can't be on the Phillies Mt. Rushmore.

Top candidates:

Phillies: Carlton, Roberts, Alexander, Schilling. The problem is that Schilling only pitched 8 years for the Phillies and they weren't his best years. Alexander pitched his best years for the Phillies, but it was only 7 years.

Red Sox: Clemens, Cy Young, Martinez, and somebody. Somebody is probably Lefty Grove, who finished his career on the Red Sox, but his best years were on the A's. Also, Cy Young's best years were also on other teams.

Giants: Mathewson, Marichal, Hubbell, Amos Rusie. That's 4 HOFers, and while Rusie is the weak link, he was awfully good.

But I think the winner is...

Braves: Kid Nichols, Greg Maddux, Phil NIekro, Warren Spahn. This is not just 4 HOFers, it's 4 top-tier HOFers; 4 of the top 40 pitchers of all time. If we're going to be sticklers for pitching on the "Braves", and we eliminate Nichols because he pitched on the "Beaneaters" (the franchise name before they changed to "Braves"), then he can be replaced with Smoltz or Glavine, also HOFers.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 9:50PM

Dodgers
    1. Koufax
    2. Drysdale
    3. Kershaw
    4. Sutton

Only because I was a Dodger fan years ago. I would go with Hershiser over Kershaw if the game was important. Sandy Koufax in 1965-66 was in a league of his own. You had to be there. Nobody has come close to him since. NOBODY. ⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Braves: Kid Nichols, Greg Maddux, Phil NIekro, Warren Spahn. This is not just 4 HOFers, it's 4 top-tier HOFers; 4 of the top 40 pitchers of all time. If we're going to be sticklers for pitching on the "Braves", and we eliminate Nichols because he pitched on the "Beaneaters" (the franchise name before they changed to "Braves"), then he can be replaced with Smoltz or Glavine, also HOFers.

This.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers or Braves came to my mind first

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Dodgers or Braves came to my mind first

Braves were my first thought as well, but did not mention them in the OP to see if anyone else thought the same.