Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, what numismatic item did you GIVE for Christmas??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this from CRO a few years ago - decided it was time to give to my daughter. She likes elephant items. I like it too, so made her a deal - if she EVER decides she'd rather have the $$, I get the right of 1st refusal!

It's ironic in that we bought a rental cabin in 2016 that is advertised as the Elephant House! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Can you post the reverse? Is that struck in gold?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    My family prefers bank notes... current ones at that. :(

Do they appreciate crisp notes with consecutive serial numbers?

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Bought this from CRO a few years ago - decided it was time to give to my daughter. She likes elephant items. I like it too, so made her a deal - if she EVER decides she'd rather have the $$, I get the right of 1st refusal!

It's ironic in that we bought a rental cabin in 2016 that is advertised as the Elephant House! :D

Awesome! :+1:

That's a great way to build on her existing interests.

But did she get the hat to go with it? ;)

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave my niece a small plastic bag of coins. Buffs, mercs, and a few circulated type coins.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Asking for the reverse reminds me of a friend who comments after a bad golf shot...... "elephants a$$ - high and stinky". :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Asking for the reverse reminds me of a friend who comments after a bad golf shot...... "elephants a$$ - high and stinky". :D

North bound view of a south bound bull

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

got this czech medal commemorating brno for my younger brother - was the only gift I had on order that didn't make it by christmas, so excited to get it to him when it finally gets here

42 g
    500 mintage

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

We gave Bullion ASE’s.

• Options
    EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 5:55PM

My 2 Granddaughters received a 2010 and a 2014 ASE that matches their birth year. Grandpa got a 2001-D American Buffalo Commemorative.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

I put together a bag of Christmas goodies for my neighbor, and her grandson, that included a couple of buffalo nickels. The grandson really excited about the nickels! Hope we can get our coin club back to its old self soon, because we may be getting a new junior member!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

test

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 6:17PM

I gave my young niece two 8 Reales from Mexico common dates graded by NGC from the 1890's and a coin with a train on it she enjoys trains (30$) very much and seems to like the large Mexican 8 Reales. She is the only one I buy gifts for everyone else can afford their own stuff. I will buy her one NGC graded 8 Reales twice per year on her birthday and Christmas let her build them up if she sells them later in life I do not mind it's hers.

and this as well non numismatic related was 27$

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    I gave my young niece two 8 Reales from Mexico common dates graded by NGC from the 1890's and a coin with a train on it she enjoys trains (30$) very much and seems to like the large Mexican 8 Reales. She is the only one I buy gifts for everyone else can afford their own stuff. I will buy her one NGC graded 8 Reales twice per year on her birthday and Christmas let her build them up if she sells them later in life I do not mind it's hers.

Nice timepiece, always have a soft spot for those.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look on that one, Smudge!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Love the look on that one, Smudge!

Thanks, I’m a DOG lover.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not many collectors that I know of personally. Many are show dealers that I have been out of contact from for almost a year. Gave some 90% silver to a cousin that is sorta into the hobby but that's it.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave a very good friend 50 Newfoundland 1 cent coins.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually have a few collectors in my extended family. I’ve given them some coins in the past but they weren’t super excited by them. So I don’t do that anymore. But I’d love it if people gave me cool coins!

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    I actually have a few collectors in my extended family. I’ve given them some coins in the past but they weren’t super excited by them. So I don’t do that anymore. But I’d love it if people gave me cool coins!

Interesting. What do they collect and what did you give them?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

It varied at times. My mom collects mostly moderns but loves coins from her youth so I got her various high grade coins from her birth year and some gold 20 francs when gold was less expensive. My oldest brother is a stacker and I got him SAEs at times. My other brother likes world coins but some US coins so I’ve given him various stuff that I thought he’d be interested in. Each of them still have the items I gave them but they didn’t really resonate with them the way I thought they might.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a coin bud who is an avid reader. I got him some old used numismatic books to buzz through.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gave a friends 2 children each a group of coins with animals on them including buffalo, beaver, elk, birds. They loved them and we talked about nature. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

It varied at times. My mom collects mostly moderns but loves coins from her youth so I got her various high grade coins from her birth year and some gold 20 francs when gold was less expensive. My oldest brother is a stacker and I got him SAEs at times. My other brother likes world coins but some US coins so I’ve given him various stuff that I thought he’d be interested in. Each of them still have the items I gave them but they didn’t really resonate with them the way I thought they might.

Interesting. Have you talked to them about what drives their interests? It seems like you have a lot more family interest than most and it would seem nice to take advantage of that.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sponsored a YN give-away earlier in the month. With postal delays, I hope they get it before the new year thought!

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried to give small groups of coins to my kids, but lost contact with the shop I was dealing with (I’m sure they got busy, and I quit calling back). When I can go to shops/travel again I’ll put together something for them.
    Was going to give foreign a to my daughter and classic Americans to my son.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 1:23AM

Father in-law & Mother

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

They all got the same finger err I mean card. Poverty sure sucks 😔

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave my 8 year old a nice IHC

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really attractive pieces. The train really jumps out.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, what numismatic item did you GIVE for Christmas??

I attempted to give a few rolls of innovation coins.
    Since 13 Dec the order has been marked "PROCESSING"
    I really need to let them go for good.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No outgoing or incoming numismatic items..... Except for cash gifts. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why didn't you splurge and get her a 1950 Mexican Railroad Peso? That would follow your Mexican passion!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

Interesting. Have you talked to them about what drives their interests? It seems like you have a lot more family interest than most and it would seem nice to take advantage of that.

Many times. They enjoy coins and such but aren’t quite as into it as I am. They are more accumulators with some added interest than serious with goals.

• Options

Here's the reverse - not high and stinky after all ..... :D

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

A co-worker mentioned he collected a few coins when he was younger. I asked him what his favorite design/series was - Buffalo Nickels, so I slipped him a Christmas card with 3 VF-AU Buffs in it.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

" My wife it’s Christmas everyday"

Similar in my house, except everyday is my husband's birthday :|

AKA Pakasmom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file