Home Precious Metals

UPDATE! Any chance I could have help authenticating a Cartier piece? UPDATE!

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 18, 2020 10:38AM in Precious Metals

Update at the bottom of the thread. :)
I know this is a precious metal forum (well it is a gold bar :p ) but I wanted to see if anyone knew much on Cartier markings. The diamond and gold are real. Thanks!

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the 750 on the bar indicate .750 fine or 18K?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Does the 750 on the bar indicate .750 fine or 18K?

.750 fine and/or 18k. Cartier is a French jewelry designer and in Europe they mark it by the percentage of gold.

18k - .750
    14k - .585
    10k - .417

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is not knowing what a "real" one looks like. The rule of thumb is that name brand jewelry from well-known makers like Tiffany must be absolutely flawless in their manufacture. No seams present, no soldering visible. But I don't know Tiffany well, and I know Cartier even less so.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss Thanks. The first thing that I noticed when I got it was that the loop was soldered closed and even with a loupe it was hard to identify where the seam was.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 1/8 ounce it must be really small. Can we get a pic next to a cent or dime to get some idea as to how small it is?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited December 8, 2020 5:22PM

It’s really tiny but heavy when held.
    Next to a penny, dime, 1 gram silver bar, and a British three pence.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pardon me sir , do you have any Grey Poupon ?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little jewelry piece.... would make interesting earrings for a lady. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Nice little jewelry piece.... would make interesting earrings for a lady. Cheers, RickO

I think it would be a bit heavy as earrings. I kinda like it as a pendant as it sits.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece

It really is a interesting piece.

Anyone know of an authentication service I can use? Trying to stick to online resources for now. I did pay a pretty penny for it but nowhere close what's it's worth intending to flip it. It did come with a Cartier branded pouch, A branded box and a little envelope with a hook to keep the pendant in.

Update:

I was able to contact Richemont, Cartier's parent company to see if this was real. I was able to contact them through eBay's VeRO program that protects intellectual property of many companies. It took 2 tries but I was able to get a response that the item appears genuine from the pictures sent. :)

Very happy at this outcome. Although I did purchase this piece to flip, I'm probably gonna keep it as its a interesting piece.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maintain that correspondence and offer to include it (redacted if necessary) with the piece if you sell it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    Maintain that correspondence and offer to include it (redacted if necessary) with the piece if you sell it.

Yeah. I tried contacting Cartier directly but they were no help so I had to do a bit of searching before I could find the right people to contact.