Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Paramount Collection?

Heritage is holding a sale in March called "The Paramount Collection". I have no idea what's in there, or who the collector is. I could ask Heritage, but more fun to ask here. Who knows what???

The Heritage e-mail states:

"The Paramount Collection represents the single most important collection of world and ancient coins that Heritage has ever had the honor of handling, and will be the most significant collection to come onto the market in at least a generation. Including countries from around the world and spanning from ancient to modern times, nearly every piece is a highlight in its own right and is the culmination of the collector's life work to acquire as rare, interesting, and high grade pieces as possible."

"The most significant collection to come onto the market in at least a generation" is a pretty bold statement.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know either but the auction sounds like it will be of paramount importance

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be more fun to ask here, but how would you confirm the answer?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    It may be more fun to ask here, but how would you confirm the answer?

No need to confirm. I trust you guys.

Andy Lustig

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look forward to it.
    I want to buy something cool & historic!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, what about the Millenia, the Rudman, or the Tyrant? If they are serious sounds like a crazy collection and I agree with @MrEureka , that's a very bold statement.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that some of the very best of the very best are NOT in that sale, not to say there are not memorable bits...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds intriguing but it'd be nice to get a bit more tangible of a preview...

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be interesting if Adolf Zukor was a coin collector and the so-called Paramount collection was his...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Would be interesting if Adolf Zukor was a coin collector and the so-called Paramount collection was his...

I see what you did there ;)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2020 8:27AM

No idea yet, but I hope they come in the red Paramount holders ;)

While the Zukor connection is just a wild guess on my part, the other interesting component to this theory is that Zukor appeared on the Paramount 15 year anniversary which has an HK number and is considered a So-called dollar. The larger medal from 1937 which commemorates the 25th anniversary of Paramount Studios, was sort of done by Medalic Arts also features a portrait of Zukor-that medal is very cool and captures the look of a film reel. Seems someone at Paramount went out of their way to please the boss... so it at least this theory passes the straight face test given the current hype.

I heard back from a friend at Heritage: it will be under 100 ancients (but all are apparently fairly impressive), then a large number of European, Latin America, and some US coins, with the focus being on European world coins. The coins are currently being graded so they aren't sending around promotional materials just yet but hopefully they'll be together soon, considering the sales will be the last week in March.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I heard back from a friend at Heritage: it will be under 100 ancients (but all are apparently fairly impressive), then a large number of European, Latin America, and some US coins, with the focus being on European world coins. The coins are currently being graded so they aren't sending around promotional materials just yet but hopefully they'll be together soon, considering the sales will be the last week in March.

Do you know who is the TPG ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better have DEEP POCKETS. I'm sure "Tyrant" is making their list and checking it twice!

edited December 18, 2020 5:54PM

The collection is not as big as I would have guessed. Only 700+ coins, I’m told. But pretty good stuff, sort of like these. It will add up.

Andy Lustig

And there are more than 100 multiple ducats larger than 5, which is pretty impressive.

Andy Lustig

Interesting that they consider this collection more significant than, say Rudman or Jacobs.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Interesting that they consider this collection more significant than, say Rudman or Jacobs.

I had the same thought

edited December 18, 2020 5:48PM

@pruebas said:

Rudman and Jacobs are masterful in-depth specialized collections. Paramount sounds like it will be more of a monumental non-specialized collection of trophy coins. You’ll have to decide for yourself which is the most “significant”.

Andy Lustig

@MrEureka , are those the only pages from the flier or is there one showing ancients as well? I wouldn't mind seeing the ancients if available!

@SmEagle1795 said:
    @MrEureka , are those the only pages from the flier or is there one showing ancients as well? I wouldn't mind seeing the ancients if available!

I haven’t seen the flyer yet. Just got these images as a sneak preview.

Andy Lustig

• Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The collection is not as big as I would have guessed. Only 700+ coins, I’m told. But pretty good stuff, sort of like these. It will add up.

So I just checked the NGC census. 1731 PF 5G, 100 perpera, 1662 crown, 1937 EVIII 5S etc are not in the Census as of today,
    Mind blowing coins.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

A german states 20 ducat? A trophy indeed.

edited December 24, 2020 6:36PM

Some of the coins are already on Instagram, with their custom NGC label.

https://instagram.com/stories/creamcoins/2471299120046646038?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=1j3jagnfheadp

Or visit Creamcoins and check their story, they published several of the coins.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coinkat referenced:

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Coquimbo in 55, 1732-Mo 8R in 62. Nice coins!

And this is the one from 1937

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka We will be posting the coins here shortly: https://coins.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=3096&ic=breadcrumb-coins-121913-interior

US Coins will also be included in Sale 1327 (Long Beach), including a Coiled Hair Stella and other great pieces!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
    edited December 29, 2020 11:54AM

The Coquimbo looked like a crude type from the video

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might make a nice set...

Nothing posted yet??? I think @Stella is toying with us. I mean, if this were a natural history auction, I could see using the word "shortly" differently, as in geological time. But these are not rocks and minerals!

Andy Lustig

A lot of Albania in that auction. Are we sure this isn’t @Stork ‘s collection?

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    A lot of Albania in that auction. Are we sure this isn’t @Stork ‘s collection?

Hmm, not mine :smiley: Looks like some provas there which as a rule I don't usually go after (there may or may not be one I could break that rule for). Will be interested when the photos post!

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

Descriptions are going up now for the US pieces. I got to write the 1880 Coiled Hair stella. Good fun!

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 6:56PM

@QCCoinGuy said:
    Descriptions are going up now for the US pieces. I got to write the 1880 Coiled Hair stella. Good fun!

So, when do the Albanians come up :smiley: ?

Edited to add Nvm, I see them. Crap. I need to sell something.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Are you happier now, @MrEureka ? Lots more photos posted! And more details to come as the coins are cataloged.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful ancient gold in that auction!

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for the multiple Talers!

My current "Box of 20"