Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Minnesota Twins seem to be representing themselves in your "10" pile! The Puckett Diamond King looks good, what keeps it from being a "keeper"?

That's a great box with a Bonds and TWO Maddux cards! The McGwire and Larkin cards too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    The Minnesota Twins seem to be representing themselves in your "10" pile! The Puckett Diamond King looks good, what keeps it from being a "keeper"?

That's a great box with a Bonds and TWO Maddux cards! The McGwire and Larkin cards too.

Thanks Joe. It was the wax card on the bottom of the pack unfortunately. Great eye though!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks Joe. It was the wax card on the bottom of the pack unfortunately. Great eye though!

I HATE it when that happens!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Funny you should post this now.

I just looked at some PSA 10's that have sold on ebay recently and was going to suggest that you might want to send in some of your cards that "missed the cut". A lot of PSA 10's are not perfectly centered!!!!

If it was me, I would send in cards that had some "9" value. The Topps Traded Jackson is going for $40.00 in PSA 9.
    You may be building PSA 10 sets, but selling PSA 9's could help finance future unopened purchases. Some you send in thinking not good enough could also surprise you.

Just my .02

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    A few folks have asked me what the aftermath of my breaks look like after all these years. As I have shared before, I keep all the cards I picture (rookies and stars) and recycle the rest. Those worthy of potential PSA 10 go into the grading pile and the rest into 3200 count storage boxes. For the iconic RCs, they are placed in CS1s and into shoeboxes. As I was adding in the latest RCs from the 1987 Donruss rip, I took this pic of all the Bo Jackson RCs that I have pulled along this journey. Thought you might enjoy this photo. 11-year-old me would have salivated for hours over this....heck, I still do today!!!

need to show all of your griffey jr rookies that did not make the grade for ten.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    A few folks have asked me what the aftermath of my breaks look like after all these years. As I have shared before, I keep all the cards I picture (rookies and stars) and recycle the rest. Those worthy of potential PSA 10 go into the grading pile and the rest into 3200 count storage boxes. For the iconic RCs, they are placed in CS1s and into shoeboxes. As I was adding in the latest RCs from the 1987 Donruss rip, I took this pic of all the Bo Jackson RCs that I have pulled along this journey. Thought you might enjoy this photo. 11-year-old me would have salivated for hours over this....heck, I still do today!!!

46 year old me is salivating over them. Bo is my favorite player. I keep saying I've got to find a few unopened packs with him on top, but haven't done it yet. I have been slowly working on getting his minor league and rookie cards signed. I'll probably finish that project first.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the recycling comment every time I see it! Awesome pic there Chris!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I saw an auction for 350 1990 Pro Set football Barry Sanders rookie cards on ebay, Yikes. I have 4 after ripping two of the six boxes that I had since 1990.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

That’s such an awesome pic of all the Bo’s. If I had seen that as a kid back in 87 it would be challenging to register at first. To think that one person would have all of those cards would be mind boggling. All of those cards are iconic to me and bring me right back to the time when I chased them all. I still have my first 86TT set. All beat up, I simply couldn’t help myself to look through it over and over again. It was just over the top incredible and that Bo is one amazing Card.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

This will be a first for me. I have never opened a 1985 Topps Traded set before. I will be seeing most of this set for the very first time, which is cool in many ways. It is like going back to 1985 just as this set was released. I have seen images of the Vince Coleman XRC and graded copies of the Henderson and Carter. Outside of those, I have no clue what the other cards even look like. Here goes...

• Options

Awesome stuff Chris! I have never owned the set. That said, when we got Henderson I was on cloud 9. Winfield was still a god to me, but to get Henderson meant that my Yankees were finally going to take the AL East! Didn’t happen :-)

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

That Gary Carter traded gem!!!!! Love that card. 85 traded is underrated!

• Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Awesome stuff Chris! I have never owned the set. That said, when we got Henderson I was on cloud 9. Winfield was still a god to me, but to get Henderson meant that my Yankees were finally going to take the AL East! Didn’t happen :-)

Thanks John. Yeah, Rickey is a true game changer and the Yankees certainly had the pieces in place offensively.

@WaveofCards said:
    That Gary Carter traded gem!!!!! Love that card. 85 traded is underrated!

Couldn’t agree more...these sets are fairly tough to find along with the Topps Traded sets from 1981-1984. Thanks for following this thread!

• Options

Time for a few 1986 Fleer rack packs...

• Options

This is one condition sensitive set! Here are the piles of stars and rookies that continue to build from my breaks....

Only 1 contender for PSA 10 emerged from these packs. I have always liked the look of these dual rookie prospect cards...

• Options

Donruss for the win! Nice display's. Keep us entertained. Good hunting for the elusive 10's.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I was moving some things around this morning and took a pic of these Donruss display cases. Such amazing memories and classic 1980’s graphics. John’s new card room with built-in shelving inspired me to do some reorganizing of my own 🙂

Any chance we can get a tour of your entire treasure room?

• Options

Such an awesome display Chris, keep the pics coming! I can’t fathom the incredible depth and breadth of your collection. Agree with Bensie, would love to see more, but understand all too well that the set up takes time. I’m stuck right now in my room as we figure out some non card related stuff like attic access.

Btw, can this thread get any better? Mega rips of all classic 80s and now a transition into an unopened collection display?

• Options
    edited December 6, 2020 8:35AM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I was moving some things around this morning and took a pic of these Donruss display cases. Such amazing memories and classic 1980’s graphics. John’s new card room with built-in shelving inspired me to do some reorganizing of my own 🙂

Pictures of your stash are just as common as a real Bigfoot :)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    That was fun. There are not many 1980’s cards that I am not intimately familiar with. This set was the exception. While no major star power, this set does boast some memorable names from the 80s. Consistent with the base 1985 Topps issue, this too suffers from terrible centering. The bad news was that 2/3 of the set was off center. The good news was the run of dead centered cards contained a few stars. Here are the names that missed the mark, including Mr. Perfect, Tom Browning XRC...

I was shocked to find a whopping 22 candidates for PSA 10 in this set. Really nice examples of Gary Carter, Bruce Sutter, Billy Martin and Fred Lynn...

Thanks to all those who continue to comment along the way!!

Is it just me, or is that Billy Martin card really cool?
    kevin

• Options

I have time to do a quick rip of the 13th box from the factory sealed case. Still no Elite found, but at this point I would simply settle for my second Frank Thomas DK...

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love seeing your openings!
    If I might ask, do you collect/have unopened pre- 1980, and how high into the junk era do you have? Thanks!

• Options

Come on ELITE!!!

• Options

That Elite is just around the corner, it's getting closer.

• Options

Looks like I should have asked for an Elite in this box. Just like Babe Ruth, I called my shot....albeit in a much less impressive fashion 🤣

Here are the stars and rookies, and that Frank Thomas DK that I requested...

• Options

@Rofles said:
    I love seeing your openings!
    If I might ask, do you collect/have unopened pre- 1980, and how high into the junk era do you have? Thanks!

Thanks for following the thread. The lion share of my unopened is from 1980-1993. Those were the stars and rookies I grew up watching and wishing I had as a kid. I do have some unopened that goes back into the 70s, but that era has never been my primary focus. There are just certain years I like such as 72/73 basketball, 1976 football and 1978 baseball. Part of me wishes I put more away given current pricing, but honestly most of the 70s stuff doesn’t do anything for me. Just wasn’t the era I grew up coveting as a kid. I have always collected RCs for the years and players I love like Jordan, Gretzky, Montana, Rice , Barry, Emmitt, Rickey, Bonds, Griffey and Thomas. I am a starting to gain interest in key 1950s RCs, but I clearly missed the boat on the crazy high-end cards from that era!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

What?? No checklist??

• Options

@daltex said:
    What?? No checklist??

Yeah...I was happy about that too!! 😅

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

Well, congrats on the Thomas!

You need to start opening some hockey product. I'd watch a live stream of that!

• Options

I have been fixated on Emmitt RCs lately. It is starting to turn into a problem. Let’s see what we can find in this 1990 Fleer Update set...

• Options

NICE!!!!!!!

• Options

Yep, still stuck on my Emmitt RC kick. Not sure how to tell what separates a MINT 9 from a GEM 10 on the 1990 Action Packed cards, since they have rounded corners and a raised surface. Either way, these are cool looking cards and contain one of my favorite Emmitt RCs visually...

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Yep, still stuck on my Emmitt RC kick. Not sure how to tell what separates a MINT 9 from a GEM 10 on the 1990 Action Packed cards, since they have rounded corners and a raised surface. Either way, these are cool looking cards and contain one of my favorite Emmitt RCs visually...

just think that blair thomas was considered the best running back in the 90 draft and emmitt was the third best rated back. i hope you pull a nice one.

• Options

This set is small at 84 cards, so you get ~3 of each player per box. This really is a fun rip. Interestingly, the runs of the exact same pack were clustered together in this box. These cards are beautiful in hand and are a cool departure from standard cards. I had a few key cards show up 4x and some others only 2x. Both Emmitt and Seau were right on the money at 3x each. Not sure I will sub any of these as dead centered seems to be a challenge...

• Options

I was using these as a basis of comparison for the Action Packed. And yes, I have a problem and likely need help on my recent Emmitt obsession...

• Options

do you have an emmitt smith score psa 10.

• Options

@lwehlers said:
    do you have an emmitt smith score psa 10.

Nope...just a bunch of PSA 9 and some factory sets.

• Options

Wow Chris likes 1978 Topps Baseball! I knew there was a reason I liked you alot lol

• Options

Back to the hunt for perfect 1987 Topps candidates....

• Options

Barry, Barry, Barry!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love those AP cards. Would like to do a 91 gold set at some point.

• Options

Well, I did pull a candidate for PSA 10 perfection that is a Pittsburg Pirate. Just not that Pirate. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark. Note the typical 80/20 T/B centering on all these cards...

Also pulled these two key cards...

Here was the lone contender for PSA 10...

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I love those AP cards. Would like to do a 91 gold set at some point.

I’m right there with you. The 24K gold set would be a solid challenge....keep us posted!

• Options

You stacks of ungradeable stars should be donated to 1987 versions of those of us who collected. Back then I could care less about centering, surface or print dots. 4 Sharp corners and edges equaled “Mint” or the left hand column of figures in that month’s Current Card Prices. I still have my 1987 album, I will instruct those I leave behind to bury it with me. Kal Daniels and all.

• Options

Time to head back to the box of 1990 Leaf and open 4 more of the Series 1 packs...

• Options

I continue to love the simplicity of this set design....just elegant in my opinion. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Always happy to land 5 candidates for PSA 10 in only 4 packs. The Sweet Lou has me smiling...