Options

FUN Show CANCELLED!!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@pointfivezero said:
    Still hoping against hope the ANA Money Show in Phoenix in March will be a go:

https://www.money.org/nationalmoneyshow

That will mark one year to the day that I've been working from home because of this mess. I usually don't do the Spring ANA, but I really want to go to this one if possible.

I also usually don't do the Spring show but I will certainly look at Phoenix!

• Options

Well that's no FUN.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Right decision or not it still sucks. But remember from the Black Plague came the Renaissance. I am trying hard to find something positive here.

Just 150 years later!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector said:

@Smudge said:
    Right decision or not it still sucks. But remember from the Black Plague came the Renaissance. I am trying hard to find something positive here.

Just 150 years later!

Things moved much more slowly then. They had to recover.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

They lost 1/3 to half the population in that time period. So yeah. But we have far too many more cultural Savonarolas these days.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year was my first FUN show and it was awesome.
    Especially meeting and chatting with several forum members for a few days.
    The weather was a perfect and a nice break from the deep freeze of the northeast.
    I'll just have to lean on those memories for another year. :'(

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@keoj said:
    No brainer! Let's try, wherever possible, to give health care workers (in particular) a break. I live across the street from two Drs, and their professional life and family life has been and continues to be hell. It's not political, it's simply respect.

I don’t get it?.. What did they sign up for ? A career with no sick patients? Maybe if hospitals/clinics were run by people that actually knew something about the medical profession and weren’t modern day bean counters their work lives would be easier. When you have one ICU nurse to four or five ICU beds it becomes a question as to if the patient is receiving the proper care. I’m sure this virus has made people think twice about entering the medical profession. Most doctors and nurses I know hate their job. And I know plenty, family included. There mostly 20-35 year career professionals.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

For more than 20 years now, I've been saying that I want to attend the FUN show at least once.

I reside in Canada, so it's always been a little difficult for me to attend.

I fear it's going to be moreso as the years progress.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@keoj said:
    No brainer! Let's try, wherever possible, to give health care workers (in particular) a break. I live across the street from two Drs, and their professional life and family life has been and continues to be hell. It's not political, it's simply respect.

I don’t get it?.. What did they sign up for ? A career with no sick patients? Maybe if hospitals/clinics were run by people that actually knew something about the medical profession and weren’t modern day bean counters their work lives would be easier. When you have one ICU nurse to four or five ICU beds it becomes a question as to if the patient is receiving the proper care. I’m sure this virus has made people think twice about entering the medical profession. Most doctors and nurses I know hate their job. And I know plenty, family included. There mostly 20-35 year career professionals.

"Shoot on sight" will be the next line of defense for all those defiant ignorant fools who haven't/don't follow protocol.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Very few people where I live care about Covid anymore. It's kind of weird getting online and seeing people actually take it seriously.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 3:42PM

Do you live in Oz or a country that got it under control?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@stockdude_ said:
    "The COVID virus is spiraling out of control " Really? Someone please tell her that positive tests/cases are not illnesses. Dumb statement. The real reason is what a previous poster said about limiting gathering sizes. Also it looks like the whole bat or wet market origin theory has been debunked awhile ago. Disappointed as this would have been my first FUN show.

You sound like someones crazy uncle that they wish they didn’t have

Ha ha you sound like a Koolaid drinker. What is incorrect in my post?

• Options

Poof

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Bummer! My birthday present to myself spoiled for the first time in 18 years!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

So! The price has to be dropped every time a coin is viewed for the risk envolved! B)

@FredWeinberg said:
    As I talked to other dealers across the country in the past 10 months or so,
    they seem to be a bit surprised when I mention to them that our Product,
    to be considered, graded, viewed, authenticated, priced, questioned, etc. - our Product must
    be placed within three inches of the most prominent entry points for Covid-19 -
    our Eye's, our Nose's, and our Mouth's.

Don't know about you, but I'm not too eager to put something that numerous
    folks have held THAT close to their mouths or noses, and then I'm supposed
    to put it close to my three entry points....(talking about Slabs, mostly)

Even with a vat of hand sanitizer, I think I'll pass at this particular time.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    Poof

We lost a number of members in March on a similar thread gone bad.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my county, the number of positive cases WITH SYMPTOMS has tripled in the last 2 months. I was looking forward to my 1st FUN show. Changed my mind in early November.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Mgarmy said:
    Poof

We lost a number of members in March on a similar thread gone bad.

Yep remember it well

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies for posting the link below and not meaning to derail this thread, but it is pertinent to the FUN decision. It is an article about the excess 2020 death rate, as a result of covid 19. Since some here seem to not understand the impact of this devastating virus, this will give you an idea why FUN indeed made such a decision. This is not a hoax, this is real life, and FUN made the right decision.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    My apologies for posting the link below and not meaning to derail this thread, but it is pertinent to the FUN decision. It is an article about the excess 2020 death rate, as a result of covid 19. Since some here seem to not understand the impact of this devastating virus, this will give you an idea why FUN indeed made such a decision. This is not a hoax, this is real life, and FUN made the right decision.

Actually, that chart kind of proves both points: there are excess deaths, but they are much less now than they were in March/April

• Options
    edited December 9, 2020 7:28AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

Actually, that chart kind of proves both points: there are excess deaths, but they are much less now than they were in March/April

Yup much less. FUN made the right call........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2020 7:53AM

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

That is not the graph you originally posted. Look at the excess deaths numbers that you posted.

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    There is a 3rd option. The vaccine likely does not provide lifetime immunity. So, it could well become part of annual cold & flu season and we just learn to live with it as part of the seasonal backdrop.

While as a layperson i agree that it's likely not like the polio or smallpox vaccine's with virtual lifetime immunity, my GUESS is that several of these vaccines will provide decent immunity for at least several years, not just one year. Hopefully it can last as long as the newer shingles vaccine.

To keep this reply numismatically oriented, I believe we WILL have a SUMMER FUN show, since I believe many dealers and collectors will have chosen to be vaccinated by then. That's good for our hobby!

Three Physicians in my family; all believe it’s gonna be a yearly vaccination like the flu due to its constant mutations. BUT, in my humble opinion, no one knows. I’m going to miss the FUN show. It’s the only one I make a point to attend every year. I live near Houston and they have all...been a waste of time. See y’all this summer!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

That is not the graph you originally posted. Look at the excess deaths numbers that you posted.

You are just trying to pick a fight for some reason - I have seen you do that many times with others. Look at the graphs make your own conclusions - I don't care what you conclude, it is clear deaths from covid are on the rise despite your first claim, and FUN did the right thing by cancelling.

• Options

@RYK said:

@stockdude_ said:
    "The COVID virus is spiraling out of control " Really? Someone please tell her that positive tests/cases are not illnesses. Dumb statement. The real reason is what a previous poster said about limiting gathering sizes. Also it looks like the whole bat or wet market origin theory has been debunked awhile ago. Disappointed as this would have been my first FUN show.

My hospital has overflow respiratory care tents set up in the parking lot and refrigerated morgue trucks next to tents. If these are not signs of a pandemic "spiraling out of control", what sign are you waiting for?

Yeah and back in March they had a 2000 bed military hospital ship in NY that went practically unused. Spare me the histrionics. Also many hospitals ended up closing because nobody else would go for normal procedures and the hospitals were basically empty. Yes Covid is real. Its being mishandled though. Also a lot of the deaths due to COVID are not due to Covid. The CDC said as much several months ago. And just because your hospital may have an issue doesnt mean all hospitals do. You need to look at the big picture and take emotions out of it. No the pandemic is not spiraling out of control. Its nonsense.

• Options

@RYK said:

@stockdude_ said:

@RYK said:

@stockdude_ said:

My hospital has overflow respiratory care tents set up in the parking lot and refrigerated morgue trucks next to tents. If these are not signs of a pandemic "spiraling out of control", what sign are you waiting for?

Yeah and back in March they had a 2000 bed military hospital ship in NY that went practically unused. Spare me the histrionics. Also many hospitals ended up closing because nobody else would go for normal procedures and the hospitals were basically empty. Yes Covid is real. Its being mishandled though. Also a lot of the deaths due to COVID are not due to Covid. The CDC said as much several months ago. And just because your hospital may have an issue doesnt mean all hospitals do. You need to look at the big picture and take emotions out of it. No the pandemic is not spiraling out of control. Its nonsense.

What are your qualifications to assess the lack of spiral, and if it were spiraling out of control, what would be the indicators.

For reference, I am a hospital-based physician, and where I used to park my car, there are now big enclosed tents that are holding patients waiting for hospital beds inside. But it’s all under control because I can find parking spots a mere 100 yards away.... 😉

Look lets agree to disagree. id rather not get into a pissing contest with you. Lets stick to coins.

• Options

RYK- thank you for what you do.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard/read on the TV/Radio/ Internet that the hospitals are being "reimbursed"
    $5000 for each COVID19 patient death they report. Is there any truth to this? Just asking.

• Options

@stockdude_ said:

No the pandemic is not spiraling out of control. Its nonsense.

All I can say is LOL, and if it is nonsense, then why did FUN cancel? What is it that they know that you don't?

• Options

@Tibor said:
    I heard/read on the TV/Radio/ Internet that the hospitals are being "reimbursed"
    $5000 for each COVID19 patient death they report. Is there any truth to this? Just asking.

Can you specify your source of where you heard this?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard that also but have no idea where the source is.

@spacehayduke said:

@Tibor said:

Can you specify your source of where you heard this?

• Options

@Tibor said:

Here is a link about this:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@stockdude_ said:

No the pandemic is not spiraling out of control. Its nonsense.

All I can say is LOL, and if it is nonsense, then why did FUN cancel? What is it that they know that you don't?

If you had read the original post you will see a big reason they canceled is due to the 50 person limit on indoor gatherings. Of course a 50 person limit on an indoor venue the size of a football field is kind of silly

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    If you had read the original post you will see a big reason they canceled is due to the 50 person limit on indoor gatherings. Of course a 50 person limit on an indoor venue the size of a football field is kind of silly

I did read the original post, this is one thing they said, but they agreed with the 50 person limit because, as they write and in the original post:

"The COVID virus is spiraling out of control and the predictions are that will continue to get worse through the dates of the FUN show."

This discussion has been closed.