Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FUN Show CANCELLED!!!!!!!

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

2021 FLORIDA UNITED NUMISMATISTS CONVENTION CANCELLED

It is with great disappointment that the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) board of directors is announcing FUN 2021 is cancelled. Slated for January 7-10, 2021 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, the convention would have been the 66th annual event held by the Florida organization devoted to serving collectors of coins, paper money, medals, and tokens.

The FUN board has worked hard to make this show a reality, desperately wanting to provide a venue for our dealers to get back to what they love and have our numismatic community be able to convene again. However, it has become clear that the “cons” far outweigh the “pros” at this point in time. The COVID virus is spiraling out of control and the predictions are that will continue to get worse through the dates of the FUN show.

First and foremost is the concern for the health and well-being of our dealers, our service providers, and our public attendees. There are currently many concerns and many unknowns. The FUN board built in precautions with mandatory masks, purchasing hand sanitizer, and performing daily temperature checks of everyone who enters the bourse area but was still apprehensive about being able to keep everyone safe with some level of social distancing and other safety measures.

“It was a very difficult decision, but we must cancel the FUN 2021 convention,” says FUN President Bob Hurst. “The board of directors agreed to continue as long as the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests stayed at 10% or less in Orange County, Florida. Currently, it is at 14%, and we cannot wait to see if it will go down. Making the decision to cancel this 66th annual show was not made in haste. I hope to see all of you at Summer FUN 2021.”

“I know this was an incredibly difficult decision of the entire FUN Board, but it was the correct one,” remarks Heritage Auctions CEO Steve Ivy. “In the final analysis the wellbeing of FUN and its members is the ultimate consideration. The January FUN convention is and will continue to be the premier coin show of the year. Heritage Auctions and its entire staff look forward to the upcoming summer show and auction with even more anticipation than normal. And the January 2022 show will be like no other.”

Our clubs are unable to get their members to commit to attend the show and are cancelling their FUN-sponsored club buses. We believe this is a good indicator that the public is not yet comfortable attending a convention.

If you booked a hotel reservation through FUN’s official housing bureau your reservation will automatically be cancelled. Refund checks will be mailed to all who paid a bourse fee.

FUN deeply regrets disappointing many people, but we look forward to better days ahead and a hugely successful show in July 2021. We encourage all of you to consider attending Summer FUN in 2021. The FUN board will meet in the early spring to consider special plans for that

show to help make up for the loss of our January show. We will have plenty of promotional items in storage to give away and we can all celebrate better days together. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these unprecedented situations

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 7:31AM

One of these days I will attend FUN, but I agree that it is probably for the best to cancel Winter FUN.

Their website still shows it is a go...but it has not been updated since 01 Dec 2020

http://www.funtopics.com/index.html

It looks like they were pretty serious about having it, including a COVID Waiver Letter assuming no responsibility of those attending.

http://www.funtopics.com/content/PDF/FUNConvention/2021 liability waiver Covid 19.pdf

...however;

https://www.coinagemag.com/2021-florida-united-numismatists-convention-cancelled/

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 7:30AM

Good decision to cancel. Sounds like a super spreader event.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 7:34AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    There is a 3rd option. The vaccine likely does not provide lifetime immunity. So, it could well become part of annual cold & flu season and we just learn to live with it as part of the seasonal backdrop.

While as a layperson i agree that it's likely not like the polio or smallpox vaccine's with virtual lifetime immunity, my GUESS is that several of these vaccines will provide decent immunity for at least several years, not just one year. Hopefully it can last as long as the newer shingles vaccine.

To keep this reply numismatically oriented, I believe we WILL have a SUMMER FUN show, since I believe many dealers and collectors will have chosen to be vaccinated by then. That's good for our hobby!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm bummed by this, but probably wouldn't have gone, anyway. This'll be the first January in a Long Time that I'm not making the trip. The Society of Silver Dollar Collectors' VAM Thing XVIII will be made an online event this year somehow. I don't know if FUN is going to facilitate bringing the educational programs online or if presenters are on their own for this, but we'll make it happen.

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭

It’s the right call especially given the current state of Covid. Hopefully by summer 2021 things will be moving back to normal with the vaccines and by 2022 FUN should be on.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we will get a useful grading special from either our host or other Top tier TPG. Across the street did last year and it was awesome. Sent in two sets of 25

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙄

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right decision to make and glad they did it.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 8:38AM

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    There is a 3rd option. The vaccine likely does not provide lifetime immunity. So, it could well become part of annual cold & flu season and we just learn to live with it as part of the seasonal backdrop.

While as a layperson i agree that it's likely not like the polio or smallpox vaccine's with virtual lifetime immunity, my GUESS is that several of these vaccines will provide decent immunity for at least several years, not just one year. Hopefully it can last as long as the newer shingles vaccine.

To keep this reply numismatically oriented, I believe we WILL have a SUMMER FUN show, since I believe many dealers and collectors will have chosen to be vaccinated by then. That's good for our hobby!

I'm not convinced. One of the problems with coronaviruses in general has always been that any immunity tends to be short-lived. And there have been documented cases of people getting reinfected with Covid -19.

https://bgr.com/2020/08/15/coronavirus-immunity-after-infection-cdc-3-months/

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right decision or not it still sucks. But remember from the Black Plague came the Renaissance. I am trying hard to find something positive here.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Right decision or not it still sucks. But remember from the Black Plague came the Renaissance. I am trying hard to find something positive here.

Well, if we get the Renaissance again, the coins will become more artistic. ;)

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not surprised. An upside down exclamation point on this disaster of a year.

Boy, are we going to party when this Covid thing is gone!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 9:41AM

I believe this is also the best option, we will all live to attend shows in the hopefully not to distant future.

the COVID-19 Vaccine is a step in the right direction, but I have a radical proposal: large scale, World Wide humanitarian efforts to help prevent these "cross-over" diseases from starting in the first place. I'm sure to some degree it is a cultural thing, but it's time for Third World Countries to stop eating Bats and Monkeys.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear they had to do this. I ran into a leading currency dealer locally who was asking whether they would hold it. Too bad there is not a solution like a flea market open air style option, but then the logistics would be just too complicated.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds judgement and much more clear than the ANA’s approach in August.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have been trying to develop a coronavirus family vaccine for many years. Professor hit on it earlier in the thread.. this particular coronavirus is likely now endemic in our environment and yearly shots like the flu could be warranted. Hopefully this puppy will not mutate as readily as flu

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 10:50AM

I would have missed it this year since I'm staying safe at home.

Now Summer F.U.N. is up on my schedule with fingers crossed.

I really feel for all the dealers.
    I hope they can hang on.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best call!

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad but appropriate, the board did the right thing

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout a creatively cancelled FUN show token? I can only imagine..... Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Oh! Oh! Oh! ...A U.S. Mint Silver Dollar to commemorate the cancellation.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct call even though tough to do. Glad to see rational thinking prevailed........ Impressed with FUN organizers.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 11:14AM

That's too bad, hopefully Summer FUN 2021 will happen. Best wishes to all the fellow dealers out there who have to keep things going with yet another major show cancelled.

I'm sure it was a tough call for the FUN folks.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No surprise.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still hoping against hope the ANA Money Show in Phoenix in March will be a go:

https://www.money.org/nationalmoneyshow

Will probably buy plane tickets now while the prices are low. Want to bring my encapsulated medals:

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Was only a matter of time...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

My guess is that the ANA’s judgment was just as sound and that they were merely setting the stage for not having to suffer unnecessary financial penalties.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

there will be others, hang in there

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Boosibri said:

My guess is that the ANA’s judgment was just as sound and that they were merely setting the stage for not having to suffer unnecessary financial penalties.

I agree on the messaging for the initial cancellation. I was thinking about the tease of moving the show to some non-restrictive location. Perhaps that was a requirement for mitigating damages as well.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news! I was going to start checking on hotels today.

• Options

@pointfivezero said:
    Still hoping against hope the ANA Money Show in Phoenix in March will be a go:

https://www.money.org/nationalmoneyshow

That will mark one year to the day that I've been working from home because of this mess. I usually don't do the Spring ANA, but I really want to go to this one if possible.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk - also corresponds to my sentencing to the three bedroom prison I used to call a home (March 14th). Would be nice to celebrate the one year anniversary somewhere other than my living room.

• Options

More money channeled into the same auction lots

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was coming. I recently completely changed my business model. I cancelled every show I do except for the FUN winter show and the 2 Dalton, Ga. shows. This pandemic is destroying the coin show scene, not that it wasn't dying before except for the wholesalers.

This has taught many collectors to become more savvy about buying coins online. I have quite a few good customers I have been trying for several years to get them to look at my stuff online. They were always, no...I want to see the coin 1st. 90% are now buying from my pictures and are happy with the results. The bottom line is it's saving us both money!

I think this mentality might be here to stay with the majority now that many collectors have been forced to buy elsewhere other than shows, alias online.

My plan is to go to shows to buy except for the 3 I mentioned above. The only thing that has justified the expenses of me setting up at shows has been buying. On top of that, very little of what I have been buying has been across the table. It's ridiculous for me to spend well over 5 figures a year doing shows when I can accomplish the same in a much more relaxed fashion for a few thousand a year.

As far as the lost sales from shows. It actually cost me more to sell coins at shows than it does on ebay, even at what I consider a show with strong sales! The costs of doing shows has only gone up and up while sales have gone down and down over the past few years. I've been doing shows for 25 years now. Up until a few years ago I used to do close to 50 shows a year! These last few years are the worst I have seen in 25 years as far as trying to make a reasonable profit at shows. I've seen slow times over 2 periods in the last 25 years before this recent slow down. Neither was as bad as these past few years. If it hadn't been for online sales I would have probably just went into full retirement mode!

I'm going to start a new post with this as I would be interested to hear others thoughts on my feelings and decision.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 2:14PM

I wish it was "postponed until further notice". I sure hope they can maybe pull it off later in the year.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I wish it was "postponed until further notice". I sure hope they can maybe pull it off later in the year.

Inserting a show the size of FUN into the existing show circuit and securing the venue for it isn't something I'd expect to happen.

• Options

It will just become the summer FUN show if things have settled down by then. I have never done the summer show but I'm pretty sure the room is the same size as the winter show.

@messydesk said:

@ms70 said:

Inserting a show the size of FUN into the existing show circuit and securing the venue for it isn't something I'd expect to happen.

• Options
    edited December 4, 2020 3:30PM

I just got off the phone with Randy Campbell a minute ago.

Two things that forced the cancellation of the FUN show were the Orlando City Council prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people and the Rosen hotel chain closing to guests through January. Summer FUN is expected to be about 250 tables this year.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody should tell 'Coin World'....I got this from them minutes ago.....

fun.jpg 99.6K
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 4:12PM

:'(:'(:'(:(:(:(:(

When will it end..........

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    It will just become the summer FUN show if things have settled down by then. I have never done the summer show but I'm pretty sure the room is the same size as the winter show.

@messydesk said:

@ms70 said:

There’s no comparison between the summer and winter shows. The latter dwarfs the former.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

"The COVID virus is spiraling out of control " Really? Someone please tell her that positive tests/cases are not illnesses. Dumb statement. The real reason is what a previous poster said about limiting gathering sizes. Also it looks like the whole bat or wet market origin theory has been debunked awhile ago. Disappointed as this would have been my first FUN show.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    :'(:'(:'(:(:(:(:(

When will it end..........

Uh British Health minister just stated he sees masks being needed for at least several more years. You cant make this up

• Options

I agree! That's why I haven't done it. Now how do you think the summer FUN show will be if it's the 1st show after things start to come back to normal? Me thinks the size might approach the winter show! They do have the room if I'm not mistaken.

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@messydesk said:

@ms70 said:

There’s no comparison between the summer and winter shows. The latter dwarfs the former.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    I just got off the phone with Randy Campbell a minute ago.

Two things that forced the cancellation of the FUN show were the Orlando City Council prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people and the Rosen hotel chain closing to guests through January. Summer FUN is expected to be about 250 tables this year.

In a venue the size of the FUN show that 50 limitation is idiotic. Remember we elect these people

• Options

Sorry if i am approaching the political realm. Lets get back to coins

This discussion has been closed.