Home Sports Talk

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another guy I enjoy listening to talk about boxing is Max Kellerman. He is passionate about the sport of boxing and he interviewed Mike Tyson about the upcoming fight between Tyson and Jones jr.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n4DzpKjZJgE

edited July 23, 2020 11:05AM

Let's not get our heels pumped up here, Mike Tyson still has a very important fight coming up first in August against a shark, so let's take care of the shark first Mike, then we'll worry about Mr. Jones jr.

edited July 23, 2020 11:12AM

Remember Mike, the shark will be coming for you as soon as the bell rings, but the shark has a glass jaw, and he has been beaten before...

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you come up with this stuff! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

@perkdog said:

I just have a weird mind and too much time on my hands. That's the best answer I can come up with for now. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I just have a weird mind and too much time on my hands. That's the best answer I can come up with for now. ;)

Understood 😂😂👍👍

edited July 23, 2020 2:38PM

This fight is going to be an exhibition fight on pay per view, so I hope it's a real fight, and not them just playing around. It can go either of two ways...

Way 1 -

Way 2 -

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely a training fight to stay sharp.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

this fight came 20 years too late

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an easy way to make some quick money. I would not expect anything competitive in terms of heavyweight fighting for real.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

When they say exhibition, it sounds like its entertainment. Do the results carry over on to their professional records? For example, Spring Training in Baseball have competitive games, but do not count as part of the season or any official capacity. So if Tyson wins, does that increase his career win total?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    edited July 23, 2020 9:32PM

I'm not sure if the fight counts on their records or not, but since they are older and it is an exhibition, this is what the fight will probably look like...

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's on "pay per view"?

Then how much will they pay me to watch it? If the amount they offer is high enough, i might decide to do it.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

mike is a genuis for his mystery show alone!!!!

Roy jones was impressive back in the day , I enjoyed watching both fight , maybe its just nice to see them in the news again

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both those guys are doing all they can to avoid George Foreman.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

next up sweet pea versus de la hoya

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll start by saying, in all seriousness, I hate the thought of this fight exacerbating the eventual cognitive issues usually seen in aging fighters.

Im definitely interested. And it may drum up a lot of boxing interest.

At first, Tyson said this fight wasn't going to be a serious fight, just a fun exhibition. Now, he says he wants to recapture his glory against Jones, and vows to knock Jones out. He says it's going to be "search and destroy".

The fight has been postponed to November 28, but Tyson means business. He said:

""Changing the date to Nov 28 will give more people a chance to see biggest comeback in boxing history."

He then goes on to say:

"This temporary inconvenience will last longer than Roy Jones jr. and he better be ready because I'm coming full force."

@doubledragon said:
    The fight has been postponed to November 28, but Tyson means business. He said:

""Changing the date to Nov 28 will give more people a chance to see biggest comeback in boxing history."

He then goes on to say:

"This temporary inconvenience will last longer than Roy Jones jr. and he better be ready because I'm coming full force."

Love it.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't trash talking part of the entertainment factor leading up to the exhibition? If the results of the bought do not count on their official professional records, then it's not really a competitive fight or a comeback for any of the two fighters. It still takes getting into shape and a lot of other preparations to do a proper exhibition fight, so there is no doubt the athletes do a lot of work leading up to the event.

I think the promoters want to keep us all on the edge of our seats and generate a lot of interest leading up to the November fight.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess Tyson won't be happy until he ends up being like Muhammad Ali with Parkinson syndrome.

• I think everyone is basing this off of Roys post heavyweight chin. We're talking prime for prime here. I don't know that anyone runs through Jones punches that easy and lays him down. Tyson was great but he did struggle with guys in spots and got frustrated easy. I don't know that i see him missing too many punches without it letting mess with him. Not saying Jones wins, but its definitely not the slaughter you guys are envisioning. http://www.apsense.com/article/mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-fight-card-rules-date-ppv-price-things-to-know-for-the-exhibition-matc.html

Welcome to the forums @saniashindet

Hi, hello, how are ya? welcome :)

Ralph

• Tyson. Jones Jr at heavyweight is over hyped. He beat one of the top 10 worst champions of all time, nad the #1 clincher of all time. Big deal. Tyson would KO Roy. Even though Tyson was shot, Jones Jr didn't have the chin to take Mike's still great power. Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr Free

edited October 13, 2020 12:30PM

Mike Tyson made an appearance on a good morning TV show and did an interview about his upcoming fight with Roy Jones Jr. People are concerned about his appearance during this interview, because he looked high on drugs. He claimed that he was just tired. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/qD-BUdPDYm8

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

iron mike didnt look too good there

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    iron mike didnt look too good there

No he didn't, I don't know if he was high or tired, but he was completely out of it. He better get it together before he fights Roy.

Next Saturday night, it's on!

weed is legal nothin to see here

This fight is happening this Saturday night. This is going to be big. This is going to be huge. It's going to be bigger than when Willie Nelson performed with the Muppets!

Jones better be wearing ear muffs.

Ralph

Where do we watch this thing?

@thisistheshow said:
    Where do we watch this thing?

I think it's pay per view. The official rules are:

1. Eight 2 minute rounds
    2. No knockouts
    3. If there's a cut, the fight will be stopped

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

This fight makes as much sense as a wrestling match between Hulk Hogan and Rick Flare. Both might not be far an assisted living facility. They could duke it out for wheeled vs. tennis ball walker championship.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited November 28, 2020 10:59AM

This fight is happening tonight! Here is a prediction from Chris Eubank, strictly for your viewing pleasure.

Scenes from the Tyson vs Jones weigh in:

I don't blame him. At $50 a pop, that's easy money for an exhibition with a guy who couldn't get past Kevin McBride 15 years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing but a glorified sparring match.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Anyone watching this ?

@thisistheshow said:
    Anyone watching this ?

I bet a lot of people do, just out of morbid curiosity. .

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Anyone watching this ?

I agree.

@thisistheshow said:

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Anyone watching this ?

I agree.

I'll watch the highlights tomorrow on youtube or somewhere, I'm not paying to see it. Heck, I'm too cheap. I even have a book on how to be cheap.

I've successfully got the stream going. Looks like it's still in the undercard, maybe still awhile until the main fight. Hopefully my stream will keep working.

Just watched Jake Paul knock out Nate Robinson. I hope he's okay. Seriously. Wow

Both fighters in the ring. We'll see .....🙏

My stream went out. I'm back . Rd 2

Round 4 some nice body shots from Tyson. Jones holding a lot.

Round 5 . Tyson getting some nice punches in. 🤣 Snoop Dogg doing color commentary.