Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eliasberg Coins, Anyone have any?

Would love to see pics. I remember getting the catalogs way way back as a poor young fella. The coin auction of all coin auctions.

Comments

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Oh my. Beautiful half fluffy!!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to be in the original OGH to get me excited.

edited November 20, 2020 6:15PM

Anyone get any of the lower graded offerings that weren't necessarily the top notch stuff? Always just wanted one of his coins way back. I used to pour over those catalogs and learned a whole lot.

I remember the morgan dollar "lots" that weren't finest ever gazillion dollar things and thinking i'd grab one of those some day when it came around again. You never see them come up though.

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many, I've always loved the pedigree and often thought in early bust halves it added to the coins value. I'm not sure it means much now. The registry has taken over.

edited November 20, 2020 6:37PM

I agree GoBust. I have a '21 Morgan in MS65 that I bought from Jack Lee personally at a local show in Mississippi. Pedigrees are important to many of us and not whether they're in a green or blue holder with a CAC tag.

edited November 20, 2020 6:54PM

@JimTyler said:

There are many books out there Jim. I'd highly recommend learning how to grade for yourself and not relying on the color of a label! There are some great coins with a blue tag too. Don't limit yourself!

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 7:22PM

I used to own this Col. Green/Eliasberg IHC PR66BN

Nice pedigree, but not very attractive. But Green and Eliasberg owned such extensive collections an ugly IHC was not of concern to them. I replaced it with this one.......

OINK

edited November 20, 2020 6:58PM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I used to own this Col. Green/Eliasberg IHC PR6BN

Nice pedigree, but not very attractive. But Green and Eliasberg owned such extensive collections an ugly IHC was not of concern to them.

OINK

That's a great indian cent man! Very pretty!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bennybravo said:

@JimTyler said:

There are many books out there Jim. I'd highly recommend learning how to grade for yourself and not relying on the color of a label! There are some great coins with a blue tag too. Don't limit yourself!

And there are some subpar ones in OGH’s.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• I'm NOT being sarcastic, as he seems to have made the coin collecting area well-known.

What is the history of Eliasberg ?
    A coin dealer from the 1920's, 1930's ?
    He amassed many of the coins wheeling & dealing with other coin dealers, during a time when the coins went for little over face value ?
    Acquired many key dates, which just pushed their value higher as he became more acclaimed as a coin dealer ?

But before Eliasberg having the coins, who had them ?
    Average, regular coin collectors ?
    Does the Pedigree start with him or end with him ?
    Did his family or children hold on to them or was everything liquidated before or after he passed away ?

Any info would be great.

Chris

edited November 20, 2020 8:03PM

@SilverEagle1974 said:
    I'm NOT being sarcastic, as he seems to have made the coin collecting area well-known.

He amassed many of the coins wheeling & dealing with other coin dealers, during a time when the coins went for little over face value ?
    Acquired many key dates, which just pushed their value higher as he became more acclaimed as a coin dealer ?

Did his family or children hold on to them or was everything liquidated before or after he passed away ?

Any info would be great.

Chris

Sorry @SilverEagle1974 said,

Here's a bit of info on who he was. He tried to get one of everything my friend!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_E._Eliasberg

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me. When I first started on these forums I saw on the BST there was a 3 cent piece with Eliasberg on the label. A bit of a premium but doable, just didn't realize the value then. I still regret not grabbing that one.

Dad Gum Andy!!!! Just wow!!!!

@scubafuel said:

Wowsers! Great coin!!!

• @bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:
    I'm NOT being sarcastic, as he seems to have made the coin collecting area well-known.

Any info would be great.

Chris

Here's a bit of info on who he was. He tried to get one of everything my friend!

So, it seems he was the Champion of coin collecting.
    He did amass a large collection of valuable coins. Almost everything possible.
    But I guess he did NOT distinguish between proofs & mint-state coins. So, he fell short on a complete collection.
    He passed his collection to his children who, in turn, sold it off.

My next question is who had most of the coins BEFORE him ??
    Average people or the well-to-do collector ?

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

• Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Interesting read!

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeremy took these pictures for me when he was just a lad in college and lived in NJ

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 5:20AM

@bennybravo said:

@JimTyler said:

Beside the fact I like original ( even the holder) later holders are probably upgrades. Nothing to do with learning to grade. With that said I don’t pretend to be an expert grader.

• DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have a 1971 Proof Set in a special Capital plastic holder from B&M Galleries.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 12:35PM

@DoubleDime said:
    I have a 1971 Proof Set in a special Capital plastic holder from B&M Galleries.

Is the B&M Galleries pedigree stamped on the special Capital plastic holder?

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 4:34PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 5 of the 99 1883 No Cent nickels from his set. In the past I had the 1899 Proof Liberty Nickel.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

To answer HYdrant it does. Printed on it says "From the Louis E. Eliasberg , Sr. Collection. Auctions by Bowers and Merena, Inc. April 1997 From Lot 3008". It also comes with a letter signed by them. The holder is 8x10 and 79 such sets were made up. Sets were for Proof Sets !968 -72 and S.M.S. I heard about one other collector on the boards who had a set like this. Guess you would call this a pedigree for a poor man. Certainly not a high profile coin.

WOW! GREAT coins everyone!!!!!

That is awesome airplanenut!!!!

• @SilverEagle1974 said:

@bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Any info would be great.

Chris

But I guess he did NOT distinguish between proofs & mint-state coins. So, he fell short on a complete collection.

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Okay. I read up on him a little more.
    It seems he acquired a large collection from Clapp circa 1942.
    So, I guess there is NO Clapp Pedigree coins ? Only Eliasberg ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    This is one of my favorite foreign designs (both obverse and reverse), and since I couldn't afford much out of the Eliasberg sale, I opted for a somewhat generic piece to get a coin I liked with a tie to a great collection. I couldn't skip school to go to the auction live, but I may have had to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times during one math class to get updates on the sale from @MrEureka.

Old photos from when I got the coin in 2005

Great coin and story! Love the tie in to @MrEureka!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Any info would be great.

Chris

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Of course there are Clapp Pedigree coins. Many coins will say both Clapp and Eliasberg and people will specifically search out the Clapp coins.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very happy to own this 1820 Eliasberg Bust Half PCGS AU58 CAC

Dave

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Any info would be great.

Chris

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Of course there are Clapp Pedigree coins. Many coins will say both Clapp and Eliasberg and people will specifically search out the Clapp coins.

To me, the Clapp provenance is far more valuable than Eliasberg. Not that Clapp's collection was better, obviously, because Eliasberg had all of those coins and lots more. But Clapp was more selective and more knowledgeable, so it means more that he chose a coin for his collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • @MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Any info would be great.

Chris

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

To me, the Clapp provenance is far more valuable than Eliasberg. Not that Clapp's collection was better, obviously, because Eliasberg had all of those coins and lots more. But Clapp was more selective and more knowledgeable, so it means more that he chose a coin for his collection.

So, having a Clapp/Eliasberg pedigree coin is THE coin to have ?
    Since, it has the provenance of 2 great coin collectors.

Chris

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

@bennybravo said:

@SilverEagle1974 said:

Any info would be great.

Chris

I am curious.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

So, having a Clapp/Eliasberg pedigree coin is THE coin to have ?
    Since, it has the provenance of 2 great coin collectors.

Chris

The best provenances always end in our own names!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

When I first started collecting I used to search for Eliasberg material. Then I learned he was possibly a quantity over quality at times. But I now give him a pass because many of the great collectors had some dogs or some so so material as I do. Everything cannot always be a winner especially in big collections.
    When I learned he purchased the Clapp collection in the 1940's intact I came to appreciate those coins due to Clapp's eye, they were all high grade, original and highly toned. I assumed that his method of storage had something to do with that and I assume it was reliant on his wooden coin cabinets with felt and tissue paper causing the color to stick to silver.
    I typically try to make sure if I go after an Eliasberg that it is also a Clapp pedigree.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of his coins were the finest known. He did not have the 1870-S half dime as this was discovered after he died. I was at the auction for the bust quarters and liberty seated halves. The coins all went sky high. Unfortunately for me I did not buy one single coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file