Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why do people “watch” coins on eBay?

Why do people watch coins? I have had several listings with 20+ watchers and the coin is around 20 dollars or best offer. Why don’t people pull the trigger and buy the coin or make me an offer? Why do they sit there and “watch” it for months? I never understood this....

Comments

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually watch coins that I need or want, just don't have the money at the time. I watch them so I don't forget the ones I need and watch them for the ones I eventually want. Usually my need coins are one's for my registry.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

on ebay, sometimes i watch a coin to i remember to look at it later and bid...or just to see what price it goes for. i think it's a helpful feature for people who have a coin like the one they are watching (or similar) and want to see what that coin sells for.

most of the time i watch coins, i am looking through a auction and tagging the ones that i might want to bid on when the auction is close to ending...especially on sites like great collections or heritage, whatever. there are so many and i just add the ones that are interesting to my list to look at again on auction day.

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "watch" many coins on E-Bay. Most I have no interest in buying.

If I want to negotiate I will usually contact the buyer with a best offer.

Most often I watch a coin to see if it sells. Once it does I can better judge what my similar coin is worth.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

People can watch my listings all they want, I don't care. In fact, I have my "My eBay" listing page set up so that it doesn't show the number of watchers. So there. :#

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I’m looking for a nice example of a certain coin and I watch ones I find but then keep looking to see if I can find a better example. If I can’t find a better one I’ll often come back and bid on it.

Mr_Spud

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    People can watch my listings all they want, I don't care. In fact, I have my "My eBay" listing page set up so that it doesn't show the number of watchers. So there. :#

@MasonG said:

The only reason I ever know someone is watching because the "send an offer" shows up for some listings.

• tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

As a seller, I love watchers. From my Ebay store I can send any watchers offers on the coin for them to buy.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironic, as I never watch stuff that I am really interested in bidding on, as I don't want to tip my hand.

I only watch stuff that I just want to see how it sold. :/

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch particular Buffalo nickel abraded die varieties to see what they sell for. Ebay is one of several sources I follow for updating values in my book. I also watch them to see if I can make up my mind whether to bid or snipe certain coins.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap entertainment.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several threads on samples and luncheon slabs - I may have no interest in the coin/slab but want to update the price history now and then - easy to see if "watching" - o/w will forget to look it up.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 5:55PM

Like many I may interested in that coin or one of that date/mm and will watch far more than I will ever buy. I have at least 10-15 coins on my watchlist that I will never buy at any given time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting for payday?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tennbjj said:
    As a seller, I love watchers. From my Ebay store I can send any watchers offers on the coin for them to buy.

Yep, I've had sellers send me discounts on a coin I'm watching. Some I have taken their offer. Good tool!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

the price listed is above and beyond what I am willing to spend
    there are so many over priced coins on Ebay
    You can list your coin for sale at any price but I am not the fool to buy or bid on it but will watch to see who bids or buys it
    If it doesn't sell I will offer a buy it now price that corresponds to the Pcgs listing value

Kennedys are my quest...

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch an item to see if I still like it for the price a few days later. Usually I don’t and let it play out just to see the final price or if it sold at all.

I have noticed lately, that when I like an item, I sometimes get a lower offer from seller the next day, which is nicer than me making an offer first.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch any coin that interests me, maybe price is too high at first, maybe interested to see if it actually sells at that price point, many reasons besides buying. But I will say this, the sellers price never bothers me for a coin I am interested in. I have made offers(always fair and not a slap in the face) well below the asking price and have purchased them even at the 25% level. The price is only ridiculous while it is the only price. Make it your price, all that can happen is be refused or ignored. I have never been treated poorly by an offer.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

I'll save a coin to do a little research on it such as VAMS and such. I'll also watch something I'm interested in purchasing but undecided about spending the money. For seriously expensive coins that I have no way of buying I just like to see and admire them for their rarity and beauty.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fun place.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I use the Watch feature to remind me! when People put coins on for such a long time, like six days or more, when they are going to sell anyway, why wait so long? I forget things that don't happen within a couple of days. And I don't save sellers only coins I'm interested in.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re living in a pandemic and lots of people have nothing better to do. There’s only so much Netflix to watch.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALL of the above.

(Sometimes it is obvious from the way a seller lists or acts that they are not also buyers on ebay. ;) )

For me, it is a way to bookmark an item, an invitation to the seller to send me am offer, or a way to exit until an Ebay bucks offer comes along.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I sometimes watch coins if I have one for sale and I want to see what the competition is shooting for. Maybe I’m too high or too low? Usually watchers are scouting the competition not buying.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of times I just want to see what they sell for because I have a similar coin that I may want to sell. The seller may send an offer. There are many reasons to watch a coin. I watch a lot of stuff just for the fun of it.

• Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    1. I watch items that I plan on bidding on.
    2. I watch items that I want to purchase, but are priced a little too high. Sometimes the seller will offer a discount to people that are watching their item.
    3. I watch some items to get an understanding of an average market price, mainly for areas of new interest.
    4. I watch items as a reminder of things that I plan on purchasing in the future.
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the watch to compare prices and sometimes, just maybe, a seller will send me a PM with a % off deal. You never know; you might get lucky.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the auction is from a motivated seller, an unsolicited discount to buy-it-now is offered. The last one I received was:

Here is a buyer offer made in error. Roughly 2 oz of 24 Kt gold for $74.00

Another example.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching auctions on ebay is slightly better than watching paint dry, that's why....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 6:14PM

I would say a lot of them are broke or won’t pay the money.

I watch items to put in AS.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to watch items when I was planning to snipe.... That way I did not add to the bid column.... Cheers, RickO

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch coins because sometimes I need to wait until payday to buy something. Other times I just like to see if I can find something for a better price.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the example in the OP, watching a $20 coin with an OBO option may be a bookmark for someone to whom $20 is significant (with numerous possible reasons) or who is bookmarking for comparison purposes. I recently bookmarked (watched) some inexpensive coins to complete my modern type so as to compare a number of listings for quality. Probably a common reason when it comes to coins that are readily available.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 12:29PM

@neildrobertson said:
    I watch way more coins than I buy. Sometimes it's because I want to see if the coin can sell for the listed price, or sell at all. Sometimes it's because it's too expensive but I want to know if the seller lowers the price or makes and offer to watchers. Sometimes I watch coins on my want list but that aren't first priority and I don't want to commit budget to it yet. I watch at least 10 items for every one I win or buy.

I could have written this exact response, except my ratio of watches to purchases is probably closer to 50 to 1.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I have a coin listed on eBay for $1.50 and there are two people watching it.

No, I'm not kidding. So like you, I don't understand it.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lehigh96 said:

Can we get a link to this auction? If a bunch of forum members here add it to our watch lists, it will blow their mind. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

And push it up in Best Match!

@PerryHall said:

@Lehigh96 said:

Can we get a link to this auction? If a bunch of forum members here add it to our watch lists, it will blow their mind. :D

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

.... because people on Facebook, Twitter, and other sites bore me.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 6:52AM

I will watch on eBay ones I may enter into AS. Like a coach cherry picking a list of recruits. Then may enter into AS 60-80 pct of CDN bid to get it in there w note on bid or what I plan sell it for. Later as auc close approaching items culled out (bid up too high) for final picks. World coins and BN bid pct of what plan sell for.

Then if won / purchased list in online store / display in case at shows for retail.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will search coins I need for my collection every day so I will watch them then go back to my list and sort out afterwards also the ones I’m interested in I wait to see if the seller will send a discount

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Owners “watching” their consignments?

• selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

I was watching an item on multiple accounts so I wouldn't forget it. Made a fair offer and seller said "I never discount something with this much interest" Told him I'd check back later. I unwatched and he accepted offer.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'll put a coin on my watch list if I'm thinking about sniping it.

Any recommendations on snipe programs?

Both gavel snipe and esnipe have failed to execute recently for me: One due to some captcha and the other for a limitation that I had never had before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file