Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice for Young Collector

I've never had a card graded before because frankly I haven't had anything that valuable, until recently. I purchased a box of miscellaneous cards at a garage sale and hit what I think is a substantial find, a 2000 Tom Brady Donruss season stat line out of 20. After searching online I was only able to find this card selling once, at an auction site a couple years ago. My question is if I intend to sell this card should I first have it graded? It has what looks like a print line going across it, but it's exactly the same print line on the card I saw which graded BGS 8.5 so maybe all 20 of these cards have that print line?

Answers

• Options

I'm fairly new as well. I would do your research first. I would check ebay prices and look at auctions sold. You can see what Raws sell for and compare it against graded cards as well. I believe graded cards usually have the most value overall but it probably depends on the rarity of the card. I have also heard that certain types of cards don't grade well overall.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 10:45AM

Wait till after Christmas so things are not so backed up in the post office I would say late January 2021 before sending it to be graded. Insure it both ways with tracking. PSA is your best bet.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that a card like that should almost always be graded first. If you can post scans of the card, there are a lot of very knowledgeable collectors here that will be glad to give you their insights. Congrats on what sounds like a great pick up!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 10:53AM

welcome aboard.

def grade. to protect yourself both on the sale and to ensure you're not unknowingly trying to sale a fake card. heck of a find though! hooked for life if it pans out.

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I don’t know which one you have, but looking at the prices for this card, you absolutely need to grade it before selling it. It’s a valuable card and a great score for you. As such, I believe you may need to consign for maximum return. First step is to grade it. Good luck and congratulations on a great find!