Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay Sellers, PLEASE, show both sides of the coins that you want to sell!

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am tired of some sellers only showing one side on some of the coins they sell. Then when I ask to see the other side they do not respond or add the photo of the unseen side. What kind of business model is this? - I don't care if it is a $1.00 coin or a S1000. dollar coin. Anyone selling coins should know this. Some people want to sell you stuff (not only coins) but are too lazy or pre-occupied to give enough photos. If I do not see both sides, i do not buy it, It's that simple. Do you buy coins if you cannot see both sides? I don't care how common or rare the coin is or how much I want it.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree.... When I used to peruse coins on ebay, I would just pass on those with only one side pictured...just not worth the hassle of asking, and certainly would not buy without seeing both sides. Cheers, RickO

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

But what if the other side is really, really terrible? Maybe a seller is better off with you guessing how bad it is, and assuming you can't guess it's that bad.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    But what if the other side is really, really terrible? Maybe a seller is better off with you guessing how bad it is, and assuming you can't guess it's that bad.

While somewhat in jest, I could actually see this occasionally working. There is a set of people that like to gamble on bad photos and can get carried away assuming the best. If the coin is mediocre or worse, the seller might benefit with poor photos (although that also increases the chances of a return).

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 11:17AM

I list both sides of mine. Looks like that should be online selling 101 to list both sides with good photos of course.

Perhaps some guys x wife listing just 1 side who won the coins in divorce settlement (not knowing anything about coins). Just offer bluesheet - you might win lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

@rec78 and others on this thread, I have a quick question for you. When you are looking at eBay listings, particularly at the images, are you only looking at the gallery images at the top of the listing to the left of the price, or do you scroll all the way down through seller's listing to look for additional images? If the former, then we might be one of those dealers to which you are referring, in which case we clearly need to change how we do our (admittedly old school) listings.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

@nencoin said:
    @rec78 and others on this thread, I have a quick question for you. When you are looking at eBay listings, particularly at the images, are you only looking at the gallery images at the top of the listing to the left of the price, or do you scroll all the way down through seller's listing to look for additional images? If the former, then we might be one of those dealers to which you are referring, in which case we clearly need to change how we do our (admittedly old school) listings.

Most look at the images at the top first (including me). Then I will scroll down to the description section to read it and see if there are more photos there. Note that when using eBay on a mobile app, that section might not look the same as on a computer (and those additional images might not show up). I think the best idea is to put the image in the top gallery and leave the bottom just for descriptions/terms/shipping info.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a violation of ebay rules to post only one side.
    What gets me is all the boxes that are shown, but not the coins. Proof sets that are "unopened", well, open the damn things so I can see coins!! I buy coins not boxes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    Note that when using eBay on a mobile app, that section might not look the same as on a computer (and those additional images might not show up). I think the best idea is to put the image in the top gallery and leave the bottom just for descriptions/terms/shipping info.

Thanks for the reply. Great point about the mobile app. That's enough to convince me. Thanks again.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate that as well, but equally dislike when a seller only posts true view glamour shots of a coin and doesn't post any pictures of the coin just as it is in the slab.

@nencoin said:

@U1chicago said:
    Note that when using eBay on a mobile app, that section might not look the same as on a computer (and those additional images might not show up). I think the best idea is to put the image in the top gallery and leave the bottom just for descriptions/terms/shipping info.

Thanks for the reply. Great point about the mobile app. That's enough to convince me. Thanks again.

I've complained a lot to eBay about how hard the mobile app is with highlighting that there's a description. I get enough questions (not a ton, but enough) to know that even when I tell someone to look in the description, they still can't find it. On the rare occasion that I look at a listing on my phone, sometimes I have trouble remembering where the description is located, and I know exactly what I'm looking for. I really, really hate the app, especially since beyond the layout, there are little things here and there that it can't do, which makes it useless as a tool that can simply be counted on to work.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    What gets me is all the boxes that are shown, but not the coins. Proof sets that are "unopened", well, open the damn things so I can see coins!! I buy coins not boxes.

I believe that only applies to graded coins...but I may be wrong.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes!!!! And the whole reverse of the slab if it is graded. I look for certain slabs and the reverse is often very important to me.

@airplanenut said:

@nencoin said:

@U1chicago said:

I've complained a lot to eBay about how hard the mobile app is with highlighting that there's a description. I get enough questions (not a ton, but enough) to know that even when I tell someone to look in the description, they still can't find it. On the rare occasion that I look at a listing on my phone, sometimes I have trouble remembering where the description is located, and I know exactly what I'm looking for. I really, really hate the app, especially since beyond the layout, there are little things here and there that it can't do, which makes it useless as a tool that can simply be counted on to work.

I'm with you about the app. I use it but it just has too many small glitches to be something to consistently rely on. Listing something for sale is a particular nightmare with the app as they seem to hide or even eliminate some of the options available when using the desktop version.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't imagine listing a "GOOD ACCURATE LISTING" using the ebay app! All this app crap is why windows 10 is being forced on us. I absolutely hate windows 10!

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also pass if I read “stock photo, cert numbers will vary”.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I pass any coin offering that says 2(or more) available. Knowing then I will never get the coin pictured.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@AUandAG said:

From ebay's policy manual:
    Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:
    Must not include a non-approved grading company, numeric grade or estimated value anywhere in the listing and can't show an image of the item in a graded holder if the image shows a grade
    Must include photos of the front and back of the actual item for sale (stock photos are not allowed)
    Must have a starting, reserve, or Buy It Now price of less than $2,500

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@nencoin said:

@U1chicago said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get several messages a week asking me to post a picture of the reverse, when it's right there for those who care to look for it.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

@LRCTom said:

@airplanenut said:

@nencoin said:

@U1chicago said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get several messages a week asking me to post a picture of the reverse, when it's right there for those who care to look for it.

Oh, I don't keep my photos in the description (in part for this reason), but I'll get questions about whether a coin is cleaned or shipping info, all of which is written down for anyone who looks.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nencoin said:

I always look at the whole auction. I do not use a mobile app. I have a dinosaur computer I got in 2011 using it the same way I always did.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@OPA said:

@AUandAG said:

From ebay's policy manual:
    Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:
    Must not include a non-approved grading company, numeric grade or estimated value anywhere in the listing and can't show an image of the item in a graded holder if the image shows a grade
    Must include photos of the front and back of the actual item for sale (stock photos are not allowed)
    Must have a starting, reserve, or Buy It Now price of less than $2,500

bob

Thanks for this info. I always give the person a chance. From now on if the seller only shows one side and does not answer my email or refuses to post a photo in the auction or send me a photo, I will report them.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Thanks for this info. I always give the person a chance. From now on if the seller only shows one side and does not answer my email or refuses to post a photo in the auction or send me a photo, I will report them.

That'll show 'em! 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file