Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My INCREDIBLE 2020 Collectors Club Sub is HOME!

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2020 4:58PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I usually write long descriptions but I’m just too excited so...

...here are the 10 cards I just got back from Newport Beach today. All but one have a significant Yankees connection, all but one are for active registry sets and every single one makes me smile. The cards run from 1927-1992 and two received upcharges; this, for me, was very good news. One did a little better than I thought earning a PSA 2 and the other? The other received a grade of PSA 5. That one is extra special to me since I ‘made it myself’ so this is both a card grade and, in a way, a grade of my artistic skills, too. And I couldn’t be happier.

Now, without further ado, some really awesome cardboard:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job on the sub. Nice to see PSA 1's instead of authentic on the Propagandas. That Mantle cutout is pretty sweet.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Nice job on the sub. Nice to see PSA 1's instead of authentic on the Propagandas. That Mantle cutout is pretty sweet.

Thanks very much.

Pumped!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

gotta explain the nelson!

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Exactly. It still is an amazing lot but Nelson as the finale??

@blurryface said:

@pab1969 said:

@blurryface said:

Exactly. It still is an amazing lot but Nelson as the finale??

😂😂😂

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/key-card-sets/new-york-yankees-world-series-champions-1998/publishedset/276564

I swear to God, I have posted these on two different forums and all ANYONE wants to talk about is Jeff Nelson !

😂

the nelson for sale? 😉

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 5:29PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

I swear to God, I have posted these on two different forums and all ANYONE wants to talk about is Jeff Nelson !

😂

Well, he does kinda stick out a LITTLE bit in a group of cards with Dimaggio, Gehrig, Mantle, Whitey, et al. :)

Also, congrats on owning the only PSA 9 of that card :)

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the cards. The mantles are very nice for the grade. Great eye appeal and addition to your collection.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, I said this in the other thread but I am absolutely astounded by this great sub!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Wow, nice Jeff Nelson!
    Box topper is pretty cool too.

Deja vu.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

@Griffins said:
    Wow, nice Jeff Nelson!
    Box topper is pretty cool too.

Deja vu.

edited November 19, 2020 3:00AM

One nice thing about upcharges?

You get the vouchers back. So this ended up as 8 vouchers and two cards billed.

The end result is I can now put together another fun 7 (instead of 5) card sub! I have a hard time sending cards that don’t feature Mickey but I do have a few other sets that I’m working on so I tried to get a little of each; the Joe Torre works for two PSA sets that I have and is somewhat tough to find well centered. I may still seek out an upgrade down the line (because it’s in two sets, it may be ‘worth it’ for me) but I am very happy with that example.

Mickey Mantle is the backbone of my collection. Any time I can get one into a PSA slab myself, I am ecstatic. I am fortunate to now have three self subbed highest graded Mickey’s in my collection - a card collector badge of honor. I’m proud of that.

I had given some thought to trying to - over the course of years, mind you - having the entirety of my Propagandas Montiel set graded. I have changed course in that regard and will probably stick with just the biggest stars from the set. As far as I’m concerned the checklist for the set is tough to beat in terms of star power for ANY vintage set ever produced. I’m up to 169/180 now but the last 11 I may never find. Still, pretty gorgeous set with Hall of Famer after Hall of Famer and a rookie card of Stan Musial:

Next up for slabbing from the set will be Martin Dihigo. If you don’t know who he is, take some time and look him up. He is in the Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame, the Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame and the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Some people who saw him play at the same time as his contemporaries - including Babe Ruth - called him the greatest to ever play baseball.

And his nickname, El Maestro or The Master, would seem to back that up.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 6:26AM

"One nice thing about upcharges?

The end result is I can now put together another fun 7 (instead of 5) card sub!"

You lost me a little bit here . . . what do you mean about upcharges and getting vouchers back?

amazing sub!

what’s holding the Ford back?

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 7:28AM

Very cool! I’m just curious...why will PSA grade the box top cut out? If I cut a picture off some other display box would they grade that, or is there something special about this one?
    For example, would they grade this?

edited November 19, 2020 7:34AM

perforations perhaps?

slightly different than my newspaper photo: 😉

eta: I love this brain fart & the fact they don’t grade it any longer.

@detroitfan2 said:
    "One nice thing about upcharges?

The end result is I can now put together another fun 7 (instead of 5) card sub!"

You lost me a little bit here . . . what do you mean about upcharges and getting vouchers back?

No problem.

When you join the PSA Collector’s Club, you get ‘vouchers’ for cards to be graded - it’s basically built into the price of joining the club though you get some bonuses like 15 Card Savers, a subscription to SMR and usuallly a nice coffee table book or some other card collecting related item. I joined at the level where you get 15 vouchers and sent in 10 cards, saving five for later (a little stupid on my part since I’ll pay more for shipping BUT I sometimes can’t decide AND you have a ‘value cap’ of $499 per card...

...which brings me to upcharges. If you send PSA a card, you have to select the correct service level. If a card graded out higher than anticipated and blows through the ‘value cap’, you get a notification that cards in the sub were essentially submitted at the wrong value tier by YOU, the customer, and therefore they need your approval to move the card into the correct tier in order to process the full order.

As an example, the 53T probably would have probably been ok if it graded out as a PSA 1 but as a 2 it blows past the $499 ‘value cap’ and requires a different tier. From what most people have said, if it’s close they’ll let it slide but in cases like like, they reach out. Personal opinions vary, of course, but I know that PSA holders add significant value to the cards. Charging more to grade more valuable cards is the business model and I was impressed with how quickly and professionally that aspect was taken care of for this order. I have no issues with the policy, myself, though reading these boards you will find people who feel quite differently.

It was 1953 Topps and 1968 Topps Posters Cut out that required upcharges. I quickly agreed and considered it great news. 😉

edited November 19, 2020 8:14AM

@blurryface said:
    amazing sub!

what’s holding the Ford back?

The back. Grade is accurate. That said, I still believe this flaw was there from factory (the text is printed over it and suffers no break. There’s a groove in the cardboard; it’s obviously possible it’s a crease but typically there’s some other evidence of the crease. Easier to see on the raw card:

Right side of text, card middle and moving from near edge toward center. Nothing on front, no bend to card and it doesn’t make it to the edge of the card. Hence, it presenting (what I think is) pretty well and looking unlike any crease I’ve seen prior.

@PaulMaul said:
    Very cool! I’m just curious...why will PSA grade the box top cut out? If I cut a picture off some other display box would they grade that, or is there something special about this one?
    For example, would they grade this?

I don’t know but I’ll give my best guess and I am being serious here, ok?

First, I think it’s because Mickey Mantle collectors (like yours truly) are crazy and hammer away at PSA until they give in (guilty). This one has been something you could get graded for a while now; getting the entire box top is new since the Jumbo holder became available as has getting new specs for cards of all sizes. This is the most progressive I have seen PSA be when it comes to adding new material but it makes sense since they’ve hired more researchers.

So, could you get that Tom Seaver card slabbed? Possible would be my answer but I’d say what holds it back is the appearance of the letter ‘B’ breaking the appearance of the full card. Here’s the package from which I cut Mickey - as you can see from the before and after shots, it was a fairly memorable box, from a visual perspective and setting the box up properly produced a nearly a stand alone card automatically because of how it was originally positioned on the box:

Before:

After:

And as a tangent but related point, I have a box where Mickey was also on this one (clearly) and I know they don’t presently grade it:

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

How were those Propagandas cards distributed? Never seen them before..

@Kepper19 said:

They were made in Havana, Cuba and were one of the first post war sets produced anywhere. The set is 80% baseball players, 15% boxers and 5% other. Here’s more background, lifted from a description written by Love of the Game Auctions...

Issued in Cuba in 1946 and 47 with packages of Propagandas Montiel caramel, these cards are printed on extremely lightweight paper and are thus extraordinarily condition-sensitive. Since they were intended to be glued in an album, the cards often have been removed from albums and thus often paper loss on the reverse.

I have a collector I admire who collects boxing cards so I would be remiss if I failed to mention that the first 25ish cards feature some really A list boxing names. True legends of sport from its early days to the ‘present’ (which was 1946). Superstars the lot of them but highlights like John L. Sullivan, ‘Gentleman’ Jim Corbett, Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Jack Sharkey, Jim J. Braddock (of Cinderella Man fame), Max Baer, Max Schmeling and Joe Louis.

So if you like boxing history, the set has a who’s who of the sport until Marciano wins the crown making it a pretty special vintage set. There are always a few for sale on eBay and auctions pop up from time to time but the whole set is a beast to try to complete and having asked many a hobby veteran, there is some uncertainty over the existence of one of the cards on the checklist. There’s a spot for it in the album but I have met no one who can confirm its appearance or existence. Since there’s also an ‘extra’ card with no slot, that may explain the conundrum.

In all honesty, there’s nothing like a little mystery around a great looking hard to find set to further it’s appeal to me. But my subject line link attests to that already. 😉

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Love seeing any and all Yankees! Nelson included. Very sweet.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Great sub! Congrats. Oh, and Nelson had a wiffle ball slider! :D

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Kepper19 said:

They were made in Havana, Cuba and were one of the first post war sets produced anywhere. The set is 80% baseball players, 15% boxers and 5% other. Here’s more background, lifted from a description written by Love of the Game Auctions...

Issued in Cuba in 1946 and 47 with packages of Propagandas Montiel caramel, these cards are printed on extremely lightweight paper and are thus extraordinarily condition-sensitive. Since they were intended to be glued in an album, the cards often have been removed from albums and thus often paper loss on the reverse.

Thank you...I appreciate the info

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

yeah Yeah Yeah so you have a Whitey RC and a mantle box cover. Also some overproduced cubans. They made more of them then cigars. But that Nelson. Kawabunga !!!!!!! That is cardboard treasure. I would expect to see tha hanging in the Guggenheim.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    edited November 24, 2020 5:10AM

@jay0791 said:
    yeah Yeah Yeah so you have a Whitey RC and a mantle box cover. Also some overproduced cubans. They made more of them then cigars. But that Nelson. Kawabunga !!!!!!! That is cardboard treasure. I would expect to see tha hanging in the Guggenheim.

Overproduced?