Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Oro del Nuevo Mundo Collection

Stack's Bowers announced they will be selling the Oro del Nuevo Mundo Collection next January. Based on the email that collection has great pieces. Anyone knows anything about the collection?

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea, but it sounds interesting! I don't see anything on their website though.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Stack's Bowers announced they will be selling the Oro del Nuevo Mundo Collection next January. Based on the email that collection has great pieces. Anyone knows anything about the collection?

That 1747 8E is either the ex Rudman AU58+ or the 61 in the census.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know it’s going to be good when the CAR 8E in 63+ doesn’t even make it to the headline pic.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be fun!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Catalogue was published. I was already outbid on ALL of them without even registering. If anyone is not attached to house, car, or spouse, this is your auction.

I just took a peek and your right that about sums it up.
    It looks like the lowest entry to even start is about 4k and rockets up from there.
    But boy, if I had free serious cash I'd be chasing the sun face in AU55, it is beautiful.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

It looks like the lowest entry to even start is about 4k and rockets up from there.
    But boy, if I had free serious cash I'd be chasing the sun face in AU55, it is beautiful.

With cash I would go for half the collection :D

I was actually a bit disappointed there wasn't any minor gold. Oh well.

@scubafuel I would agree, but they advertised the pieces as onza sized, so smaller pieces would not fit. I have been hunting few small gold pieces to no avail so I was hopeful... and the disappointed as it did not t happen.

Some very expensive lots for sure.

Gauging from the pictures, the quality seems to be a bit all over the place as I guess is usual in big collections.

@JohnnyCache said:

@Abuelo said:
    Catalogue was published. I was already outbid on ALL of them without even registering. If anyone is not attached to house, car, or spouse, this is your auction.

Very rare coin, wish it didn’t have the small tooling marks between the rays. Still, likely finest extant.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Stack's banner image!

Interesting, the catalogue is not on line anymore!?

Never mind, not on the app(?) But on the web.

Reserves just posted. I think the consigned will still have a nice collection on his hands after the sale

Looks like the majority of coins already surpassed the reserves, I am not sure I agree with you @Boosibri only 14 out of 102 lots have not met reserve. What I think the owner will have is a lot of cash after the sale.

@Abuelo said:
    Looks like the majority of coins already surpassed the reserves, I am not sure I agree with you @Boosibri only 14 out of 102 lots have not met reserve. What I think the owner will have is a lot of cash after the sale.

I think the reserves on those 14 will struggle to be met

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like they are, in many cases, just a bid away.
    Oro del Nuevo Mundo Collection

@johnnycache Is that a function of people bidding, or does SB set it up so that when a reserve is posted, the next bid is one to meet the reserve?

@scubafuel said:
    @johnnycache Is that a function of people bidding, or does SB set it up so that when a reserve is posted, the next bid is one to meet the reserve?

The latter. Systems goes to one increment below the reserve

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked and the only lots that don't have bids are the 2 copper Chile patterns which are cheap and 3 Ecuador 8 Escudos.

@Boosibri said:

@Abuelo said:

edited January 9, 2021 9:56AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I just looked and the only lots that don't have bids are the 2 copper Chile patterns which are cheap and 3 Ecuador 8 Escudos.

@Boosibri said:

@Abuelo said:

Many show bids which just posted one increment below the reserve .

I think if you will look closer, all the lots without a bid say Opening bid while the others say current bid. That tells all but 5 lots the reserve is met.

@Boosibri said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Boosibri said:

@Abuelo said:

Many show bids which just posted one increment below the reserve .

It shows current bid but reserve not met. Several lots went from no bids to this status one increment below the reserve

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use to have sunface 8 escudos ....I don't remember if i still do.

I may have sold it...they appear they are going for alot more now .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Ahha, I was just looking at the list without going to the actual lot.

@Boosibri said:
    It shows current bid but reserve not met. Several lots went from no bids to this status one increment below the reserve

edited January 26, 2021 5:45PM

@bidask Looks great! How much?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

How much as in what did I pay for it or are you an interested buyer?

I’m willing to let it go

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

I'm more concerned about the "I do not remember if I still do" @bidask :D

• ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 7:53AM

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

How much as in what did I pay for it or are you an interested buyer?

I’m willing to let it go

Beautiful coin indeed - wow - And I can see it is expensive, just as curiosity found one year 1832 AU Details mount removed NGC on ebay for sale - but it is too much.