Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

November to Remember card purchases..... for election month 2020!

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2020 10:15AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Whatya got?

Comments

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 10:30AM

@MLBdays .... sharp issue... Prizm is taking over in Basketball Ball, Soccer and FB too.

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @MLBdays .... sharp issue... Prizm is taking over in BB, Soccer and FB too.

Glad to see one take over as there are so many options!

Jason

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I got the Star 101 out of the way I picked up a couple more first year Star MJ’s. The Best on Earth/Mars Nike poster card was a nice surprise that I found in a random oddball NBA lot.

• HalfNipponeseHalfNipponese Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

I was able to get a great deal on these. I had no clue this parallel set existed and now I've managed to grab 9 of them.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2020 3:04AM

I figure I’d start by saying that this is one of those items where I don’t know exactly what it is, I just knew I liked it when I saw it and I took it at the price. For those that ‘know me’, it's appeal should be obvious as I'm a rabid Yankees fan and the year is pretty significant. This is the first time the winningest baseball franchise ever - the New York Yankees - won anything at all when they secured the AL pennant in 1921. Plus, there’s those simply sublime team sweaters that are so wildly original; I’d love to see those beauties make a comeback. And yeah, there’s George Herman taking his first major step toward Yankees greatness, leading the Bronx Bombers to the first of many flags. Here it is in high resolution with my made up title (based on limited research):

1921 New York Yankees "Daily News“ AL Champions Premium

Here is what I have found as I search for information on this Yankee Premium; the image of just the team itself seems to be from the NY Daily News. Heritage sold a Type I photo of it (below is the photo and their description) at some point.

1921 New York Yankees New York Daily News Original Photograph, PSA/DNA Type 1. We would like to point out that as per the credit strip on the reverse, this photo was specifically taken for the Daily News.

Rarely seen team image of the franchise's first pennant-winners finds the ascendant Yanks donning gorgeous team sweaters at their Polo Grounds home ballpark. Verso is stamped, "Jul 7, 1921" and bears an affixed newspaper caption and heavy editorial markings. Photo is editorially trimmed to 11x6.5" dimensions and exhibits some scattered wrinkling and a lower right corner bend, but still presents very well. LOA from PSA/DNA, Type 1.

I’ve not seen a direct connection but as a former New Yorker, the Daily News has had these types of inserts in the paper for as long as I can remember. If not, I’d still lean toward it being from NYC given that that image isn’t all that common. Perhaps one of the local brewers like Ballantine or Rhinegold. It has certainly been cut down from it's original size (not just corners but also L/R at minimum, based on the hand written text on reverse) and has some other obvious visible wear. The seller is a legitimate and reputable one and he believed it was from 1921 and I trust him but the historian and researcher in me intends to continue researching it, anyway.

Edited to add three more things:

1) my scanner bed is essentially 8x10 and that scan was intentionally not cropped to give a sense of size.

2) the photo, graphic and text on front are all printed on while the back has handwriting added to the original. It’s a unique (and to me quite amateur) looking font on the front and looks almost like it was done by hand on the original mock up.

3) it smells and feels old and period, in hand.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    The Best on Earth/Mars Nike poster card was a nice surprise that I found in a random oddball NBA lot.

Yo, money, it’s gotta be the shoes!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

1921 New York Yankees "Daily News“ AL Champions Premium

Those buttons on Babe’s sweater look like they’re ready to pop off lol.

Yo, money, it’s gotta be the shoes!

For those of us that wore a pair of Jordan’s while playing ball quickly learned it definitely was not the shoes. ;)

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2020 9:50AM

record book break last night:

7hr ago from time stamp. 😉

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob those autos look like they’re on card. Are they?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

not in hand yet. trae pretty sure is, which is super rare. don't think larry legend is if you look at the "l", however the end of "bird" looks like it would go off sticker. perhaps he signed after sticker was applied?

but is color match and of /8. and choice

@DBesse27 said:
    Bob those autos look like they’re on card. Are they?

and...probably the only card i'll keep outta the bunch regardless! :)

Seems like a sweet break!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Billy Williams set. I need 3 more cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my 6th for the 75 team set , really haven't worked on the 75s much

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    For my Billy Williams set. I need 3 more cards.

Nice card, one of the first graded cards I ever bought. Had pleasure of meeting him at spring training - great guy!

Comic biography of the Flin Flon Bomber. Total impulse buy that turned up in my search for the Bobby Clarke Halloween picture I posted.

Jason

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recent pick up for my Cubs collection. I really like the color/painted look of the 1951 Bowman cards.

@DBesse27 said:
    Hi Jason, I thought you might enjoy this Clarke card, which is one of the only hockey cards I still own. A personal favorite of mine.

Nice! He's got some of the best cards mainly because due to lack of teeth lol

Jason

@Chicago1976 said:
    A recent pick up for my Cubs collection. I really like the color/painted look of the 1951 Bowman cards.

Me too!

Yaz Master Set

Scored a very rare card today. The date is a little unclear but definitely some time between 1947 and 1950 and produced by the Sunday Mail Junior Sports Club. It is believed they were made available to club members at club rallies.

Jason

• Beautiful cards, rofles. I love the '71 set with the black borders.

I remember the beating my '71's took when I was a kid, so seeing a '9' or '10' is like seeing a unicorn for me!

@Rofles said:
    Big mail day for my set!
    My 37 card sub is in QA2, refreshing all the time! Lol 😂

Jason I like that Woody

Yaz Master Set

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

got a ton of stuff back from PSA, here are some.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Big mail day for my set!

Those ‘71s are amazing. You are building a set to behold! Good luck with your submission.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 10:33AM

I just wanted to post this card in this thread in light of recent events. After all, when an honorable knight passes we should all honor him. This is not hyperbole as we often hear; he was knighted by the Queen of England for excellence in his chosen field. And while he worked with the best of the best in Hollywood and portrayed a wide array of memorable characters in films like Marnie, The Great Train Robbery, Murder on the Orient Express, Highlander, The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, he will obviously be best remembered as the man who best personified Ian Fleming’s secret agent with a license to kill.

Bond. James Bond.

The 1965 Glidrose set is simple and beautiful and covers a variety of still shots from the series’ first few films. While card #1 in the set - Debonair, But Deadly - draws the lions share of the attention when it comes these cards, this is the newly scanned copy of what is my personal favorite card from the set.

1965 Glidrose James Bond #19 James Bond, Secret service Agent 007

Rest In Peace, Sean Connery

Sean Connery died on 10/31/20.

If you take that date, place the two zeros in front, and add up the other numbers, it comes out to

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@Rofles said:
    Big mail day for my set!

Those ‘71s are amazing. You are building a set to behold! Good luck with your submission.

Thank you! Hoping for the best!

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the way. Fell a$$backwards into it, like all good pickups :D

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda100 said:
    I picked up an Elway rookie card.

Looks better than my 8.5 and many 9's I've seen. Great card.

1937 Wills British Sporting Personalities #13 Tommy Walker in really good shape! Another for my next vintage bulk sub!

Jason

My first reaction to that Alomar was WTF, until I read the label and saw Aqueous! Lol

Yaz Master Set

• I’m not political. This is a card forum.

@TheCrisser said:
    I’m not political. This is a card forum.

Cool story bro. Nothing political here.

Yaz Master Set

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I like these mini cards for some reason.

Also picked up this one hand numbered 2/5

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• @dictoresno said:

Look great.
    Love topps chrome refractors. Working on an antawn jamison run in black and gold and Vince in regular refractors. The 98 Vince will be a tough one (pricey). May eventually sub some for grading but happy with how they look unslabbed too.

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

NICE Refractors!!

@dictoresno said: