Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another ASE to Fight Over

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot of us have already seen this, but in case some missed it, here comes the newest ASE.....drum roll......introducing the End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin
Yep, a Privy Mark on the obverse. With a mintage of 75,000 and a HHL of 1. At $69.50, will this be a sellout? Most likely. When will this be released???? TBD. Will you be able to order one or will the computer lines be jammed for the first 5 minutes? Stay tuned.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 6:10PM

Boo. The mintage should be 7500 not 75000. That's strong money for a bullion round that is a questionable flip. I don't think you'll see as much interest as the 2019 S RP ASE.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garbage, not worth 20 bucks to me.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin whether it's a mintage of 750 or 7,500. Why would one mintage make it more appealing over the other (excluding those who are in it simply for the flip-a-cash)?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Same coin whether it's a mintage of 750 or 7,500. Why would one mintage make it more appealing over the other (excluding those who are in it simply for the flip-a-cash)?

It's called "rarity". Collectors value rare coins more highly than common coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@abcde12345 said:

It's called "rarity". Collectors value rare coins more highly than common coins.

This is true, even if it is a "manufactured rarity".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I will try for one....not likely I will be successful though....Then the flipper market will rule for about a year.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be fighting for one. :)

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

This is a Silver Bullion Piece with a US Mint Chop Mark. Once the Chinese put their chopmark on it, you can buy many Covid Supplies.

🦇

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with the weird expression on her face?

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold eagle will have a mintage of 1,945. What a mess that promises to be.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

It's another disgusting insult to their loyal customers and collectors. The whole “mintage” will go “out the back door” to the big time dealers and flippers who get control of 90% of the mintage.

Watch for a counterfeiter to find a way to duplicate this thing. The punch will be easy. The hard part will be to avoid a flat spot opposite it.

As I posted before, I have no interest in boosting this travesty.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada went all in on Privy Marks a while back. Good to see the US is trying to not miss out on the action.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@santinidollar said:

It's another disgusting insult to their loyal customers and collectors. The whole “mintage” will go “out the back door” to the big time dealers and flippers who get control of 90% of the mintage.

Seems like the old classic commemorative halves. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Options

I'm going to guess a 45 second sell-out. First offer to sell a PF70 at $19,000.00 on a Rare Coin Show. On the same day a big wail reverberates down the Food Lines and in Coin Dealer Homeless Sbelters.

The Original Packaging will one day be trading for much more than the Gold Eagle.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a date for when this circus begins?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold eagle is going to the Willie Wonka ticket.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you haven’t noticed but the circus has already started coming to town.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@RichR said:

Does anyone have a date for when this circus begins?

TBA

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something new for people to flip for a quick profit.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2020 7:04PM

Funny thing about Marketing planning. How many do we make, what price do we charge?

Remember the Chrysler PT Cruiser? Here was a squat little Economy Car that used retro-styling to attract attention. It was produced in small enough numbers that there just weren't enough to go to everyone that wanted one. Dealers were forced to buy extra Inventory from other Dealers ( sound familiar ? ) to have something to sell. I actually wanted one of those little things. Tried to use my Employee Discount to get one but the sincere Sales Lady explained why they were going for MSRP + $2,000. I walked out fast saying one day soon you'll be begging me to take one at the Employee Pricing.

Today, the PT has made the Lists of Ugliest Cars ever Made. Who wants one? Not too many.

The old formula worked , undersupply demand and People decide they want one even if they don't really have a need for an Economy Car at semi-luxury pricing.

The old marketing formula is in full force at the US Mint. Offer a dull SAE in very limited numbers. Don't bother with an uninspired new design which only draws criticism anyway. Make it, offer it, and they will buy.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Boo. The mintage should be 7500 not 75000. That's strong money for a bullion round that is a questionable flip. I don't think you'll see as much interest as the 2019 S RP ASE.

It'll sell out, but I don't think there's much flip potential. $70 to $100 is about the right price for a 75,000 mintage.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@santinidollar said:

Watch for a counterfeiter to find a way to duplicate this thing. The punch will be easy. The hard part will be to avoid a flat spot opposite it.

As I posted before, I have no interest in boosting this travesty.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. There is no back door. Bulk Buyers can't even place orders until at least 24 hours after they go on sale.

If you're referring to big time dealers hiring people to buy them for the, that's a different story. But that isn't exactly a "back door".

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

Proof eagles never sell as "bullion rounds"...or at least they haven't yet.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wished they came up with a real cool classic design :| it's been the same over and over again

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020 7:02PM

@Paradisefound said:
    Just wished they came up with a real cool classic design :| it's been the same over and over again

Agree. And I really dislike the privy mark even though I had been collecting two sets of ASE for my daughters ever since my oldest one told me she loved shinny coins.

What I am really into now is the silver proof and reverse proof britannia. New design every year. And its reverse proof mintage is around 500 for 2016 and 2017. 700? for newer issues.

• Options

I got some Proof Buffaloes ( 1 oz from 2018 and 2019) that I'm hoping to unload one day soon. Can I get more than bullion spot on those? It sure would be nice IF I could.

I'm probably looking at Spot from KITCO. But no Mint Packaging goes with them at spot.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It's not a bullion round. It's a US legal tender coin produced by the US Mint that is part of a popular and heavily collected US coin series. This coin will do very well on the secondary market.

It's still Bullion.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love all my Bullion coins, even the dimes.
    Don’t forget the 2016 Gold Merc!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

How could I forget that! ;)

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@MilesWaits said:

How could I forget that! ;)

That was one of my favorite threads.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be nice if it wastes money that won't be searching for actual numismatic coins. :):)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020 8:44PM

@FullStrike said:
    This is a Silver Bullion Piece with a US Mint Chop Mark. Once the Chinese put their chopmark on it, you can buy many Covid Supplies.

🦇

Actually the mint does not consider this or any of its "collector" coins to be bullion coins. Its definition of bullion is reserved for the bulk issues not available for direct purchase by the public.

United States Mint Bullion Coins

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the 2019 enhanced proofs going for these days? Many people paid over $1000 raw.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:

I got 10 of those ....... still sealed in their pretty mailers. Never ever seen a Gold Mercury.

🤐

• Options

My heart bleeds for those that jumped on the Gold Kennedy Train. What ever happened to the $100 000 " First Coin Sold?

Is it worth $5,000 yet? Imagine if the Man had put his Cash on Rhodium or Pd.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2020 1:53AM

.> @DIMEMAN said:

@PerryHall said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It's not a bullion round. It's a US legal tender coin produced by the US Mint that is part of a popular and heavily collected US coin series. This coin will do very well on the secondary market.

It's still Bullion.

It's only bullion if it sells at or near melt value which won't happen with such a low mintage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 4:04PM

@PerryHall said:
    .> @DIMEMAN said:

@PerryHall said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It's still Bullion.

It's only bullion if it sells at or near melt value which won't happen with such a low mintage.

The coin is part of the Silver Eagle series which is authorized by 31 U.S.C. 5112 (e). 31 U.S.C. 5112 (f)(1) provides that the coins must be priced based on bullion plus other costs tethering it to spot at time of issue which is what I would consider the definition of a bullion coin (along with very high purity precious metal content). Although there are design modifications, they arise from the original legislation which gives the Secretary of Treasury discretion to change the design within certain ramifications.

Your point about it being legal tender is well taken, but that status comes from the Coinage Act of 1965** which was vague and made all coins, bullion and otherwise, legal tender status as all are coins of the United States.

** I am aware there were no bullion coins then, but the broad statutory language from 1965 is still there and controlling.

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    My heart bleeds for those that jumped on the Gold Kennedy Train. What ever happened to the $100 000 " First Coin Sold?

Is it worth $5,000 yet? Imagine if the Man had put his Cash on Rhodium or Pd.

I suspect that the sale was merely more artificial hype. One of the sellers hired actors to play up the coin's importance per local media reports at the time of the show in addition to buying examples.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 1:25PM

@PerryHall said:
    .> @DIMEMAN said:

@PerryHall said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It's still Bullion.

But I thought it only counted as a "real coin" if it stickered otherwise it was a bullion/dreck/otherwise worthy of the melting pot. >:) Sometimes the forums can be so confusing. :D

• Options

Here we go....start your engines.....a deal at just $83.00....ready, set.......

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm done fighting the mint, the robot buyers and the flippers!!!

• Options

Something went wrong. Please refresh your browser. Reboot your computer. Go make lunch. Take a nap. Check back tomorrow.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

The clock is ticking....less than a day away.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in.... I'm doin' it, this could be huge............ly a waste of effort and time.

• Options

Here we go. Put on your helmets.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Web page is slow already....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file