2020 World Series discussion thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Today is the day. Free taco.

I was just over there, there were cars everywhere, it looked like a nightmare. I ate at Wendy's. 😂😂

My youngest son reminded me about it. I took him. Went through the drive thru. I asked if they had a lot of requests for free tacos. They said that before us there had only been four people. They also said they didn't even know about it until the first customer told them.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I remember last year; we couldn't get anywhere near the one close to us!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took my wife to the one near where we live, and the parking lot had a ton of cars in it, so I said to heck with that, and went to the Wendy's across the street. I had my favorite chicken sandwich combo. I love their chicken sandwiches. Did I get the biggie size fries you ask? You better believe it!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I took my wife to the one near where we live, and the parking lot had a ton of cars in it, so I said to heck with that, and went to the Wendy's across the street. I had my favorite chicken sandwich combo. I love their chicken sandwiches. Did I get the biggie size fries you ask? You better believe it!

had a have a frosty....chocolate I hope!

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

I'm thrilled. I've been dreaming of another World Series win for over three decades, and not even a shortened season is gonna rob me of feeling great about it finally happening. I thought it would, but the adrenaline rush that I felt after Urias threw that last strike proved me wrong.

My son was almost 9 months old in 1988. Got to watch the final game with him last night, which was really, really cool.

Hats off to the Rays. Terrific team. Not a single unlikable guy on their squad. Love what Arozarena did, which is a helluva lot easier to say in the rearview mirror. "We" could not get the kid out, and given the chance I think he might have carried the Rays to the finish line. Dubious decision to take Snell out like that. I'm glad Cash brought in a reliever, 'cause the Dodgers couldn't touch Snell for over 5 innings. Cash made all of Dave Roberts' terrible decisions look great compared to removing Snell.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Hate that people are more focused on Justin Turner's actions than they are on the Dodgers finally winning a World Series. I totally get why people are focused on him, but I hate it nonetheless.

From my limited experience of being on a few beer league softball championship teams, I get the desire to celebrate with your team. I can't imagine what that must feel like as a professional player. Heck, I was beyond excited just sitting in my living room. So I understand why Turner wanted to be on the field with his team, but I so wish he hadn't done so. It, imo, was selfish and incredibly irresponsible. Sitting next to Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor, for the team picture was dangerously irresponsible. Hugging his teammates was irresponsible. Refusing to leave the field when confronted by MLB security was irresponsible. Disobeying the protocols agreed to by MLB and the MLBPA was irresponsible.

Justin Turner is a really good dude. He is universally liked and respected by his teammates and opponents alike. He has a great reputation around the league, and with fans of all teams. In almost any other situation, he'd get a lot of leeway for his actions. But not here. Not with this virus. Not with over 225,000 Americans dead. People can't go to funerals. People can't say goodbye to their loved ones as they lay dying in the hospital. In-person weddings aren't happening. Family get-togethers aren't happening. In light of all of those things and so many more, going on the field for pictures and hugs pales in comparison.

Sorry, JT. I love you, man, but this wasn't cool. Not at all. It's different this year. The old ways of doing things don't apply now. I'm sure you won't even get sick, or if you do you'll recover fully and quickly, and I'm sure that anyone you might have infected will as well. God, I really hope so.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@doubledragon said:

had a have a frosty....chocolate I hope!

Always have a frosty, I love them! Sometimes I go there just for the frosties by themselves. Nothing beats a good chocolately frosty!

• Options

@TNP777 said:
    Hate that people are more focused on Justin Turner's actions than they are on the Dodgers finally winning a World Series. I totally get why people are focused on him, but I hate it nonetheless.

From my limited experience of being on a few beer league softball championship teams, I get the desire to celebrate with your team. I can't imagine what that must feel like as a professional player. Heck, I was beyond excited just sitting in my living room. So I understand why Turner wanted to be on the field with his team, but I so wish he hadn't done so. It, imo, was selfish and incredibly irresponsible. Sitting next to Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor, for the team picture was dangerously irresponsible. Hugging his teammates was irresponsible. Refusing to leave the field when confronted by MLB security was irresponsible. Disobeying the protocols agreed to by MLB and the MLBPA was irresponsible.

Justin Turner is a really good dude. He is universally liked and respected by his teammates and opponents alike. He has a great reputation around the league, and with fans of all teams. In almost any other situation, he'd get a lot of leeway for his actions. But not here. Not with this virus. Not with over 225,000 Americans dead. People can't go to funerals. People can't say goodbye to their loved ones as they lay dying in the hospital. In-person weddings aren't happening. Family get-togethers aren't happening. In light of all of those things and so many more, going on the field for pictures and hugs pales in comparison.

Sorry, JT. I love you, man, but this wasn't cool. Not at all. It's different this year. The old ways of doing things don't apply now. I'm sure you won't even get sick, or if you do you'll recover fully and quickly, and I'm sure that anyone you might have infected will as well. God, I really hope so.

He is being investigated by MLB for doing that. I understand he wanted to be out there with his team, but he should have known better. Covid is nothing to play around with, it's deadly.

• Options

@TNP777 Seriously, FELICIDADES on your WS.

And thank you for taking the time to write out your honest thoughts on the Turner matter. You hit on two very important points. First, a lot of people were deprived of things that are so necessary- like the funeral/ memorial services. That's the one that stands out to me. Second, that this will stir up anger and distraction which will overshadow the real story. That once in a lifetime thing can be extrapolated out into so many scenario. The on field celebration. The hugs with teammates. But also the death of a loved one, the chance to see relatives and say goodbye.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers win the series with a huge assist from Rays manager Kevin Cash.
    Taking Snell out was as stupid as it gets. And I'm not second guessing, the moment
    he took him out I said to myself he just gave the Dodgers the series. Handed it over on a silver platter.
    And what's funny is the Dodgers knew it. They perked up like the Swedish Bikini team just walked past the dugout.
    It was a huge emotional lift for them, they knew they hadn't done anything to chase Snell off the mound,
    and the Rays manager was doing it for them.

Way to go Cash, instead of the players losing the series you lost it for them.

• Options

I just don't get the "only twice thru the lineup" thing. May be okay for the regular season, but in a "lose and go home" game, I'm leaving my best guy out there and if they hit him, then I lost with my best. Anderson was great for them during the season, but not in the playoffs, so all the more reason that I'd go with Snell.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Dodgers win the series with a huge assist from Rays manager Kevin Cash.
    Taking Snell out was as stupid as it gets. And I'm not second guessing, the moment
    he took him out I said to myself he just gave the Dodgers the series. Handed it over on a silver platter.
    And what's funny is the Dodgers knew it. They perked up like the Swedish Bikini team just walked past the dugout.
    It was a huge emotional lift for them, they knew they hadn't done anything to chase Snell off the mound,
    and the Rays manager was doing it for them.

Way to go Cash, instead of the players losing the series you lost it for them.

@JRR300 said:
    I just don't get the "only twice thru the lineup" thing. May be okay for the regular season, but in a "lose and go home" game, I'm leaving my best guy out there and if they hit him, then I lost with my best. Anderson was great for them during the season, but not in the playoffs, so all the more reason that I'd go with Snell.

I heard conspiracy rumblings (don't shoot the messenger) that if the Dodgers didn't win last night, the WS would have to be delayed (covid) and that might have influenced how the game unfolded.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least contact tracing shouldn't be too difficult.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

With all the testing at their disposal, you mean they didn't know he tested positive until the 8th inning????????

• Options

It may be nothing, and it may never come to light, but there are rumblings that in-game decisions were made to help assure that the WS ended last night.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    It may be nothing, and it may never come to light, but there are rumblings that in-game decisions were made to help assure that the WS ended last night.

This would be akin to the Black Sox scandal, if true, and everyone involved should be immediately banned if it comes to light. For the record, I do not believe this to be true, but I can't even imagine how angry I'd be as a player, on either side, if that turned out to be the case, let alone as a fan of either team, and MLB in general. For each player to have put themselves through whatever it took to both have a season, and then play well enough to win throughout, make it all the way to Game 6 of the World Series, and then have decisions made for the outcome to be "rigged". The championship would be as tainted for the Dodgers as the 17 Asterisks', and if I were a Tampa player, I'd feel just as cheated as the 17 Dodgers. As an MLB fan, it would take a long time to repair the damage.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@thisistheshow said:

This would be akin to the Black Sox scandal, if true, and everyone involved should be immediately banned if it comes to light. For the record, I do not believe this to be true, but I can't even imagine how angry I'd be as a player, on either side, if that turned out to be the case, let alone as a fan of either team, and MLB in general. For each player to have put themselves through whatever it took to both have a season, and then play well enough to win throughout, make it all the way to Game 6 of the World Series, and then have decisions made for the outcome to be "rigged". The championship would be as tainted for the Dodgers as the 17 Asterisks', and if I were a Tampa player, I'd feel just as cheated as the 17 Dodgers. As an MLB fan, it would take a long time to repair the damage.

I don't believe it to be true either.

• Options

Get to the important stuff here....did anybody get their free taco????? :):):)

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Get to the important stuff here....did anybody get their free taco????? :):):)

For full disclosure, let me just say, yes....I did. My youngest son reminded me and wanted to go.

• Options

good, at least someone here was able to get the freebie!